2005 Eligible: WJC's Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

X-SHARKIE

I saw a thread that said post random thoughts on the WJC's...So I figured we should do the same with all 2005 eligible prospects! I saw a few now on ESPN and some early games on tape, looking forward to receiving some more :) But from what I saw I had to say the 2005 eligibles were very impressive..not as much as the 2006 phenoms, but they put on a good steady show :)

G Tukka Rask: He impressed the heck out of me and IMO could go as high as a top 5 pick with a good finish to the year now. Surprisingly lanky and big, he has good size, Extremely flexible, made some excellent saves, looks to be the next big thing out of Finland IMO. Shows everything you could want in a young goaltender. Technically very sound and plays the puck very well, even his rebounds.
Stock: Definitely rising.

D Teemu Laakso: I like him alot, shows some high end skill but I love him for his solid play in his own zone and his chippiness which I haven't heard anything about. He battles hard and really moves the puck well, Also a great skater.
STock: Rising

D Risto Korhonen: Big physicaly defensive player. Moves pretty well actually, Never gave up and played hard and showed a mean streak. Huge and strong and likes to use it. Excellent on the PK. Didn't show much offensive ability, more of a safe player, but did hold the zone when needed to well.
Stock: Solidfied late 1st round status.

D Brian Lee: I was let down, I can't see why this guy was taken over Jack Johnson. In fact I think America well have a hard time bringing him back again next year! Sure he has the size and skating ability you look for, but it takes him way to long to digest the play and looked like a chicken with his head cut off to many times!
Stock: Falling, likely mid-late 2nd round pick, his brain farts could be contributed to being overwhelmed at the this high level of competition, and he's young so give him a break, but still very disapointing, not worth a 1st round pick.

F Nicklas Bergfors: I was very impressed even before he put up 2 goals in his last game. Looks very well built and bigger then advertised, very impressive vision and ability to read the play. Forechecks and plays the man very solidly but doesn't just crash and bang. I loooove his hands and his moves, I'm surpised he didn't score or assist more because his hands are great. Looks to be a very good playmaker. Was on the PK at moments and looked surprisingly good on it.
Stock: Rising, could slide into the top 10 with a good 2nd half, shows the skill and maturity you want out of a top 10 pick.

F Marek Zagrapan: Dissapeared vs Canada until the puck was on his stick, but he showed some great offensive instincts, skating ability, solid size, can't say enough about his skating! Excellent playmaker and has a nice shot.
Stock: Solidfide his stock has a potential top 10 pick. Didn't see anything new in the tournament like a physical edge that I haven't seen in the Q, but he produced very well and still reminds me of a poor mans Gaborik.

F T.J. Hensick: A good overall tournament, showed his offensive ability when given time but didn't make a big splash. Still impressed me with his competiveness and played well threw out even in the physical times. Great skater with some great hands, moves the puck very well, and showed a good accurate shot with a scorers instincts.

Stock: Still mid 2nd round, should be picked anywhere after 35-45.

D Nate Hagemo: I love the kid! I didn't notice him durring a game between Wisconsin and Minnesota, so when "Puckfan" callled me out on it, I watched him very close and I see what the deal is :) In fact I want the Sharks to take Hagemo! Sure he lacks size, but he's a physical kid who loves to hit, but he's very smart and well tempured about it. He's also a great skater who jumps in the play when needed but gets back so fast. Excellent mobility. The most impressive thing though was when he had pressure on him and how calmly he moved the puck out of the zone, Elite on the transition. I can't say enough about his calm plays, along with his excellent vision and hands to make perfect passes to move the out of the zone.
Stock: Rising quickly, showed me enough to warrant him a possible 2nd round pick. He does everything you could ask for in a 4-5th defenseman IMO. He logs big minutes, and never lets up, and he's sooo smart and oozes pro potential when you watch him distribute the puck. Consider me Sold! and on the Wagon!

F Sergei Kastitsyn: I like him, he's a slight lanky kid but he plays hard. I saw him finishing his checks vs USA, he took interest in his goalie taking a hit and answered with a few punches. I love his wheels the most though, very good acceleration and balance and moves very smooth. Has some good moves but seems to overhandle the puck or simply dumps it in. Not willing to take control and shoot enough or make the play, but shows some good upside
Stock: I would say rising? This is my first and only game seeing of him and I liked what I saw, I think more scouts got to see him and well to call his name in the 4th round or so?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Good insights, although I think it's a bit hard to get a read on Brian Lee when he played six minutes the whole tourney. The single most head scratching addition to the team, and they the coaching staff didn't even play him! What a joke. :mad:

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
I agree that Lee was totally unimpressive, even comical at times (nice try on that breakaway) but I saw an interesting note about his selection on another website (USHR). It seems the last time the US put a high school player on the WJC team was nine years ago, and that player happend to be Tom Poti. Apparently he was totally invisible in the tournament. Now he gets a bum rap from my fellow Ranger fans but you can definately say that he has proven that he's got plenty of talent (how he's using it is a different story). The point is that the jump from high school hockey is a huge step for a player to take, regardless of how talented they are. I'm inclined to give Lee a break as plenty of publications have raved about his raw ability. OTOH, I'm not inclined to give USA Hockey a break because it was a foolish decision to put such a young and raw player in that situation.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
Some comments on the some of the players X-Sharkie noted. Keep in mind my viewings were limited to mostly USA matches as I'm still waiting for some tapes to make their way to me. (You know who you are...get to the post office!)

Rask: I heard he was actually dissapointing in this tournament. I'd love to hear more.

Lee: Played so little, I don't think there's any conclusion to be drawn by his performance with regard to the draft. Looked horribly overmatched at times and also looked a bit more poised at times. The WJC is not a tournament made for kids like Lee and unless his play for his HS team takes a dive over the remainder of the season, I could still see him as a late first-rounder.

Bergfors: Loved this kid and he did nothing to alter my opinion of him. Top 10 pick in my book.

Hagemo: Size will still be an issue with him at the next level but I saw better physical play out of him than I expected. A bright spot (relatively speaking) from Team USA's defense.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
X-SHARKIE said:
www.eastlink.ca does live webcasts :handclap: For example I'll watch Steve Bernier and the Moncton Wildcats play Zagrapan and CHicoutimi tomorow :)

Yeah I know it's to easy to jump off the Lee wagon, but I can't see him going 1st round anymore.

Can anyone watch the webcasts? If so, will you tell me how to navigate to get to the QMJHL webcast page?

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site
Good work!

Nice to see someone mention a swedish player(Bergfors) as rising^^
Its been too long. Mostly people have had preconcieved notions about swedish players :D

Anway. I agree about Bergfors. He is the complete package, i don´t see any weaknesses at all.

X-SHARKIE

Captain Conservative said:
Can anyone watch the webcasts? If so, will you tell me how to navigate to get to the QMJHL webcast page?

I have DSL so mabey you need a good connection i'm sure to make it enjoyable? I never tried with a 56k modem.

But yes anyone can access these. TO find them first.

1. Go to www.eastlink.ca

2. Click on the bottom right where it shows a picture of a hockey player for their sports schedule.

3. Then on the top in red click on "WEB CASTING"

4. Then it vies you an option to download Real player which is what you need if you already have it, just click on "Launch the webcast now!" and it well show you the games as they are on :)

Shirkov is an interesting player that looks to be perfect for the North American game. He benefited from playing with Malkin, yes, but he also made alot of his own plays and showed alot of skill and courage...but please get that hand away from your ear!

Overall I say he's a 3rd round prospect because he is a year older.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
X-SHARKIE said:
www.eastlink.ca does live webcasts :handclap: For example I'll watch Steve Bernier and the Moncton Wildcats play Zagrapan and CHicoutimi tomorow :)

Yeah I know it's to easy to jump off the Lee wagon, but I can't see him going 1st round anymore.

Your awesomeness must be saluted! :bow:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->