2005 Draft, Top 10

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
McDonald19 said:
based on you living in Vancouver and watching him play for the Giants...

seriously the Ducks would not draft Brule over Ryan if given the choice today.

I agree with both of you.

Mcdonald19 is correct in his last statement, because having talked to Brian Burke on his trips to Owen Sound, he is completely sold on Bobby Ryan as a dominant NHL player.

But Monster-Bertuzzi is correct in saying that Brule has progressed more than Ryan this year. Despite Ryan singlehandedly winning two games versus the Kitchener Rangers, Brule has had a more playoffs.

Ryan's first half( like every other year) was incredible but he tailed off again due to poor conditioning. If he puts in the work over the summer, he will be a force next year, and hopefully play at the top of his game all year.

Randall Graves*

monster_bertuzzi said:
Brule is clearly ahead of Ryan at this point.
aren't we supposed to be projecting their NHL impact, and not their junior/college impact?

If both Brule and Ryan live up to their potential Ryan will be better, because dominating power forwards are near the top of the pecking order in this league..

The question is how likely they are to reach their respective potentials, in which case you probably have to give to Brule despite his size.

Brule is definitely closer to being NHL ready. Ryan is atleast 1 and a half years away.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
Sturminator said:
One year is not enough perspective to re-rank a draft. It's almost as much conjecture at this point as if we'd done it the day after the players were selected. Five years is a much better yardstick than one - by that time the men who are going to make it (including late-rounders) have established a role with their respective NHL teams and those who have busted are putting up career-minor-leaguer numbers in the AHL, ECHL or Europe. It is rare to see a successful NHL career out of a guy who hasn't made a name for himself by draft year + 5, whereas it is exceptionally common to see great players who are still anonymous after the first post-draft campaign.

Why bother judging guys who are still growing into their bodies, changing leagues, learning new styles, workout routines, etc.? One guy, Jack Skille for example, moves up a league, doesn't put up the flashy numbers that everyone expects and is suddenly not worthy of the spot in which he was slotted? Wasn't the same said of Steve Bernier after his post-draft season in the Q? While another (Kopitar) scores at a nice rate for a bad SEL team and suddenly he's better than most of the guys taken before him? Wasn't the same said of Jens Karlsson after his nice post-draft year?

It's simply too early to bother with this kind of analysis.
Top 10 on his team in scoring as an 18 yr old in one of the better mens leagues in the world. Which to me is a little bit of difference than playing with your own age group.
There were 2 other 18/19 yrs olds on the team and those 2 didnt do squat. Karlsson didnt even have that good of a year as a 19 yr old following his draft. IIRC Kopitar going into the draft was very highly rated and for whatever reason fell. Im happy he fell to the Kings. I think part of the reason he gets no hype is because of where he plays , which is fine with me. Hes having a good year at the WC's. Almost made the NHL as an 18 yr old. And hes big and skilled. In all honesty it wouldnt suprise me to see him suprise alot of people next year.

Maithz

Steadfast said:
1 - Pittsburgh - Sidney Crosby
2 - Anaheim - Jack Johnson
3 - Carolina - Gilbert Brule
4 - Minnesota - Bobby Ryan
5 - Montreal - Marc Staal
6 - Columbus - Luc Bourdon
7 - Chicago - Anze Kopitar
8 - San Jose - Benoit Pouliot
9 - Ottawa - Carey Price
10 - Vancouver - TJ Oshie
I think that is perfect :yo:

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Steadfast said:
The one thing that irks me is people claiming they know what their GM would do. Example, a person commenting on a mock draft says "The Thrashers will not pass on Little". You see so much of that around here and it drives me nuts.

yeah go ahead and be irked.

Ryan is the guy Burke has wanted for the Ducks since the draft...one year of an undersized forward dominating the WHL is not going to change that. People seem to overlook the way Bobby Ryan dominated the first half of the OHL season. Bobby Ryan is simply the more unique prospect where as Brule is closer to being NHL ready.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
McDonald19 said:

Ryan is the guy Burke has wanted for the Ducks since the draft...one year of an undersized forward dominating the WHL is not going to change that. People seem to overlook the way Bobby Ryan dominated the first half of the OHL season. Bobby Ryan is simply the more unique prospect where as Brule is closer to being NHL ready.

A lumbering powerforward with a soft touch is more unique than a goalscoring-machine centreman with Mike Peca-like physical attributes? Please.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
monster_bertuzzi said:
A lumbering powerforward with a soft touch is more unique than a goalscoring-machine centreman with Mike Peca-like physical attributes? Please.

You can argue all you want, and I get it that you love Brule..but...

I'll stand by my comments on Ryan being the more unique player.

BIGTRAIN*

If people can say in the redo of the 2004 draft that malkin > ovechkin they I can use the same stupid method that any player > crosby.But if I did that I would be just as brain dead as they are.So from an ovechkin fan crosby was the only choice to be drafted number 1 in 2005.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
SUPERFAN-1 said:
If people can say in the redo of the 2004 draft that malkin > ovechkin they I can use the same stupid method that any player > crosby.But if I did that I would be just as brain dead as they are.So from an ovechkin fan crosby was the only choice to be drafted number 1 in 2005.
and he is smart enough to find another thread...the unlimited potential of this young poster.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I like Ryan a lot, but there is a significant chance he will bust. I've heard a lot about drug problems and drinking problems, and that worries me.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
superroyain10, I would edit your post unless you can provide a link. Otherwise you're not going to have your post stay up for very long.

inferno98

Mar 22, 2006
Were you reading Ryan's story about his mom and dad in years past or something?

Last edited:

Peter James Bond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
McDonald19 said:
Anaheim would take Bobby Ryan or Jack Johnson if the draft were today.

Kopitar hasn't moved up as much as you think.

??

If the draft were redone today, Anaheim would turn down numerous lucrative packages for the pick and the privilage in taking Kopitar.

Kopitar made a beautiful behind the back pass for the game tying goal today.
"On the tying goal, Kopitar took the puck behind Hirsch's net and made a lovely behind-the-back pass to Sotlar, and he blasted a shot past the goalie's glove to make it 3-3. "

He had 2 assists and now has 7 points in 4 games at the World Championships. He is now 3rd overall in scoring, passing Ovechkin and Malkin.

Slovenia has scored 11 goals in the tournament. Kopitar has 7 points, and thus played a part in 64% of their goals.

Canada has 25 goals and Crosby has 9 points, or had a hand in 36% of Canada's goals. Russia has 23 goals and Malkin and Ovechkin have 6 points each, or they have played a part in 26% of Russia's goals.

Consider that Slovenia's second best player probably would have trouble making the AHL and that Canada's and Russia's rosters are chock full of world class talent.

3 questions:

If Crosby, or Malkin or Ovechkin played on Slovenia, would they have 7 points in this tournament?

If Kopitar was on Canada or Russia, how many points would he be leading the tournament by?

Will Bobby Ryan ever play in a World Championship?

Last edited:

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
Peter James Bond said:
??

If the draft were redone today, Anaheim would turn down numerous lucrative packages for the pick and the privilage in taking Kopitar.

"On the tying goal, Kopitar took the puck behind Hirsch's net and made a lovely behind-the-back pass to Sotlar, and he blasted a shot past the goalie's glove to make it 3-3. "

He had 2 assists and now has 7 points in 4 games at the World Championships. He is now 3rd overall in scoring, passing Ovechkin and Malkin.

Slovenia has scored 11 goals in the tournament. Kopitar has 7 points, and thus played a part in 64% of their goals.

Canada has 25 goals and Crosby has 9 points, or had a hand in 36% of Canada's goals. Russia has 23 goals and Malkin and Ovechkin have 6 points each, or they have played a part in 26% of Russia's goals.

3 questions:

If Crosby, or Malkin or Ovechkin played on Slovenia, would they have 7 points in this tournament?

If Kopitar was on Canada or Russia, how many points would he be leading the tournament by?

Kopitar is playing much more in a game then Crosby is, and also Crosby has better teammates so the goals for would be a lot more then Slovenia and therefore that is why he only has been on 36% of Canadian goals. Kopitar is a great player and I think he will be an elite center in the NHL one day he has worked on his skating which has improved over the year and has great size and skill. He will have a Career similar to Mats Sundin. They play a similar style. I don't know if Anahiem would take him 2nd overall who knows. I think we need to give a couple more years before deciding who should have gone 2nd or 3rd or 4th etc.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Rask>Price, what has Price proved that he can carry a bad team on his back as an 18 year old?. Let's face facts here Pogge was in the same situation with Calgary except with the age factor, Calgary didn't score much and relied on the D and on Pogge. Now Price can't make the WJR squad and Pogge ends up the starter. Rask carries Finland on his back in the WJR's and is named the top goalie beating out even Pogge who played pretty well for Canada yet Price is better then both of them? That defies logic to me. Price will most likely be better then Pogge down the road as he has the tools. But Rask seems the better prospect then Price at the moment considering the level of competition he has faced comapred to Price and his great numbers in a men's league.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
McDonald19 said:

That is so much BS. Brian Burke was hired scant days before the 2005 NHL draft and had next to no input on it. Ryan was the guy the Anaheim scouts wanted, and that's who they took. Brian Burke even said as much on draft day.

Geese_Howard*

Jon Prescription said:
Wow, are you kidding?

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

yah seriously playing in a professional mens league is far more impressive then the juniours...

aspin

Sep 13, 2002
Regina
Visit site
Wow, no Cogliano in the top 15 for most of you....ha ha... :shakehead He is better than Oshie, etc. It will be nice to see what you all say in a year's time.

Rise from the Ashes

Price defies corsi
Sep 13, 2005
Pointe-Claire, QC
Alexander the Great said:
Rask>Price, what has Price proved that he can carry a bad team on his back as an 18 year old?. Let's face facts here Pogge was in the same situation with Calgary except with the age factor, Calgary didn't score much and relied on the D and on Pogge. Now Price can't make the WJR squad and Pogge ends up the starter. Rask carries Finland on his back in the WJR's and is named the top goalie beating out even Pogge who played pretty well for Canada yet Price is better then both of them? That defies logic to me. Price will most likely be better then Pogge down the road as he has the tools. But Rask seems the better prospect then Price at the moment considering the level of competition he has faced comapred to Price and his great numbers in a men's league.

Carey Price in my mind probably got cocky or something. At this point in time Rask is ahead in developement, but based on potential i think Price may have a slight edge based on puck handling ability and "supposably" good attitute and maturity. Whatever happens happens but Bob Gainey has a good scouting staff in Timmins, Andre Savard and Gauthier so i trust their decision. But yes right now Rask>Price, but potential is the reason Price went high.

Randall Graves*

Peter James Bond said:
??

Consider that Slovenia's second best player probably would have trouble making the AHL and that Canada's and Russia's rosters are chock full of world class talent.

3 questions:

How much have you even seen Kopitar play? it's easy to quote stats from articles and such but all that's meaningless unless you've seen him play more than once or twice. I hope you're not arguing Kopitar is in the class of Crosby/Ovechkin/Malkin based off of one second tier tournament, because that's pretty ridiculous. How seriously do you think Ovechkin and Crosby are taking it after playing an entire NHL season?

As for Ryan, he's probably another 2 years away from being able to play in the NHL, so what? His tools and his size could make him an elite power forward, he'll probably develop slower than many of these guys. People trash his WJC performance but after the first game in that ridiculous blowout he was 1st or 2nd in points for the US team..

Randall Graves*

Burke's Evil Spirit said:
That is so much BS. Brian Burke was hired scant days before the 2005 NHL draft and had next to no input on it. Ryan was the guy the Anaheim scouts wanted, and that's who they took. Brian Burke even said as much on draft day.
Burke also said his character is what sold him on the selection, considering the recent track record of that scouting staff they deserve the benefit of the doubt..

gars59

Jan 16, 2005
Trois-Rivières
Geese_Howard said:
yah seriously playing in a professional mens league is far more impressive then the juniours...

grabosky own many nhler in word champiomish this years , so he will a superstar in nhl :confused:

perezhogin produce very well during the lock out in russia ... he didnt put this number in nhl ....

and many other player can be used ....

crosby_87

Jun 22, 2005
aspin said:
Wow, no Cogliano in the top 15 for most of you....ha ha... :shakehead He is better than Oshie, etc. It will be nice to see what you all say in a year's time.
Right now there is no way Cogliano is better. Tell me one reason that makes him a flat out "better player" then Oshie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad