Carl O'Steen said:
That's right, I think.

Best markets for Crosby would be...

New York
Toronto
Montreal
Philadelphia
Colorado
Edmonton (I just think it's a natural hockey town)
Detroit

WORST.....LIST.....EVER!!!! (exception of the Oilers)

Any of those teams going to lose money without him?
Any of those teams not hockey markets already?
What can Crosby contribute to those teams that is so special?

NO
NO
NOTHING.

The Penguins were saved by Mario.
The Oilers were made by Gretzky and Messier.
LA was made into a better hockey market by Gretzky.

You don't send missionaries to the Vatican to get converts.

The best place for Crosby would be one of the southern teams or expansion teams. Coyotes, Nashville, Panthers, etc. We all hate the fact Tampa isn't a hockey town. If they keep winning it will be. Crosby, if he turns out as good as hoped, can make a town a hockey town.

After that a smaller team like Buffalo or Pittsburg that needs a boost.

After that the small Canadian teams like Oilers and Calgary.He can do 3 times as much good there as he can making the Teachers Pension Fund fatter.

After that the mid market teams.

The large market teams just don't need him. He'd be wasted, adored but wasted. If the NHL is smart they'll market him, they marketed Mario and the Penguins, Gretzky and the Oilers. They can do it again.

Last edited:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
take 30 balls numbered 1 to 30. (mess with max ball # to increase variability)

every team draws 1 ball.

add the number on the ball to teams number in standings (pengs 1 to Tampa 30)

Team with the lowest number goes 1st (tie breaker is worst team in standings)

Example

04standings 05Draft LotteryBall
3 Chicago 3
6 NY Rangers 2
1 Pittsburgh 11
9 Anaheim 6
14 Edmonton 5
4 Columbus 16
7 Florida 14
10 Atlanta 12
13 Buffalo 10
19 Calgary 4
2 Washington 22
12 Minnesota 15
20 Dallas 7
27 Boston 1
21 Colorado 8
11 Los Angeles 20
8 Carolina 25
5 Phoenix 29
22 New Jersey 13
18 Montreal 18
28 San Jose 9
15 Nashville 24
24 Toronto 19
26 Vancouver 17
16 NY Islanders 28
17 St. Louis 27
23 Ottawa 23
25 Philadelphia 21
30 Tampa Bay 26
29 Detroit 30

Last edited:

Wetcoaster

Cosis said:
There will be a draft this year one way or another. Might not be in June but there will be one sometime in 2005. Most likely before October.

Damn, posted this in wrong forum. Sorry all.
How?

Without a CBA it would run afoul of antitrust law.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
me2 said:

every team draws 1 ball.

Example

3 Chicago 3
6 NY Rangers 2
1 Pittsburgh 11
9 Anaheim 6
14 Edmonton 5
4 Columbus 16
7 Florida 14
10 Atlanta 12
13 Buffalo 10
19 Calgary 4
2 Washington 22
12 Minnesota 15
20 Dallas 7
27 Boston 1
21 Colorado 8
11 Los Angeles 20
8 Carolina 25
5 Phoenix 29
22 New Jersey 13
18 Montreal 18
28 San Jose 9
15 Nashville 24
24 Toronto 19
26 Vancouver 17
16 NY Islanders 28
17 St. Louis 27
23 Ottawa 23
25 Philadelphia 21
30 Tampa Bay 26
29 Detroit 30

I like it... fair

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Panasonic Youth said:
The black hawks most definately deserve the opportunity before anyone else. If a season was played Ovechkin would have ruined the chance for Washington to have that opportunity.
What?

How many seasons did it take the Pens to win the cup after drafting Lemieux in '84

Ovechkin, if he even came over this season, could not have saved the Caps. Even with him on the team, they suck. Plain and simple.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
it's also reasonable to state the potential of him getting injured, perhaps a shoulder injury and not being able to play the rest of the season, leaving the caps in TOTAL dissorray (sp?)

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
Rocket#9 said:
How about they just put 465 names in a barrel.

30 Pittsburgh
29 Chicago
28 Washington
1 Tampa Bay etc

465 being 30! (dont know the english word for the (!) math formula)

30! is not 465. 30! is 30x29x28.... and so on.

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
Panasonic Youth said:
The black hawks most definately deserve the opportunity before anyone else. If a season was played Ovechkin would have ruined the chance for Washington to have that opportunity.

I don't think he would. Lang didn't do it for Washington and I don't expect Ovechkin near this numbers in his first year.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
me2 said:

every team draws 1 ball.

Example

3 Chicago 3
6 NY Rangers 2
1 Pittsburgh 11
9 Anaheim 6
14 Edmonton 5
4 Columbus 16
7 Florida 14
10 Atlanta 12
13 Buffalo 10
19 Calgary 4
2 Washington 22
12 Minnesota 15
20 Dallas 7
27 Boston 1
21 Colorado 8
11 Los Angeles 20
8 Carolina 25
5 Phoenix 29
22 New Jersey 13
18 Montreal 18
28 San Jose 9
15 Nashville 24
24 Toronto 19
26 Vancouver 17
16 NY Islanders 28
17 St. Louis 27
23 Ottawa 23
25 Philadelphia 21
30 Tampa Bay 26
29 Detroit 30

Or this way:
Have a hat that holds 100 names,random pick the names until all teams are done.
Number denotes how many times there names are entered based on 03/04 season standings.

Pittsburgh...9
Washington/Chicago...8
Columbus...7
Phoenix...6
NY Rangers...5
Florida...5
Anaheim/Carolina...5
Atlanta...5
Los Angeles...4
Minnesota...4
Buffalo...4
Edmonton...4
NY Islanders/Nashville/St. Louis...3
Montreal...3
Calgary...3
Dallas...3
Colorado/New Jersey...3
Vancouver/Philadelphia...2
Ottawa...2
Toronto...2
San Jose/Boston...2
Tampa Bay...1
Detroit...1

Fair? :dunno:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
T@T said:
Or this way:
Have a hat that holds 100 names,random pick the names until all teams are done.
Number denotes how many times there names are entered based on 03/04 season standings.

Pittsburgh...9
Washington/Chicago...8
Columbus...7
Phoenix...6
NY Rangers...5
Florida...5
Anaheim/Carolina...5
Atlanta...5
Los Angeles...4
Minnesota...4
Buffalo...4
Edmonton...4
NY Islanders/Nashville/St. Louis...3
Montreal...3
Calgary...3
Dallas...3
Colorado/New Jersey...3
Ottawa...2
Toronto...2
San Jose/Boston...2
Tampa Bay...1
Detroit...1

Fair? :dunno:

Not even close. None of us knows what the NHL means by 'weighted draft involving all 30 teams' but I think that they mean a bit more weighted toward the top. Your example has Crosby with about almost a 1 in 3 chance of going to one of the following: Montreal, Calgary, Dallas, Colorado, New Jersey, Vancouver, Philadelphia, Ottawa, Toronto, San Jose, Boston, Tampa Bay or Detroit. I can see a token chance for one of those teams, who really do not need yet another leg up to add to the huge stable of better players everyone of those teams has, to move up even to number one. I can see it though even that I do not agree with it. But a 1 in 3 chance for that list of teams? Absolutely sickening.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
me2 said:

every team draws 1 ball.

Wow, this is actually a really good and fair idea. It takes into account the last season played, but it will at least account for the chance that any team could have performed better (or worse) this season.

Bravo on what seems to be one of the best ways to handle this draft! :handclap:

BCCHL inactive

Wetcoaster said:
How?

Without a CBA it would run afoul of antitrust law.

Yup. You have to have a CBA to have a draft. If no CBA is agreed upon in 2005, there will be no draft in 2005.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Jaded-Fan said:
Not even close. None of us knows what the NHL means by 'weighted draft involving all 30 teams' but I think that they mean a bit more weighted toward the top. Your example has Crosby with about almost a 1 in 3 chance of going to one of the following: Montreal, Calgary, Dallas, Colorado, New Jersey, Vancouver, Philadelphia, Ottawa, Toronto, San Jose, Boston, Tampa Bay or Detroit. I can see a token chance for one of those teams, who really do not need yet another leg up to add to the huge stable of better players everyone of those teams has, to move up even to number one. I can see it though even that I do not agree with it. But a 1 in 3 chance for that list of teams? Absolutely sickening.

Who cares about Crosby. Only one team is going to end up with him. All the teams you list could just as easily end up drafting 30.

That's fair. You don't want to admit it. But it is. And I'm not saying this out of bias. Mtl doesn't really have much to gain one way or another since we're middle of the pack. Could be better, could be much worse too.

But I do believe that the bottom feeders of last year have already got their compensation. And I do believe that to hold a draft using last year standings whevener hockey starts up again would not be representative of reality and what truly is happening right now. The NHL will be turned upside down with all those free agents, prospects ready to make the jump, organization movement, etc.

There's just nothing in my eyes that warrants a draft based on last season's standings.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
E = CH² said:
Who cares about Crosby. Only one team is going to end up with him. All the teams you list could just as easily end up drafting 30.

That's fair. You don't want to admit it. But it is. And I'm not saying this out of bias. Mtl doesn't really have much to gain one way or another since we're middle of the pack. Could be better, could be much worse too.

But I do believe that the bottom feeders of last year have already got their compensation. And I do believe that to hold a draft using last year standings whevener hockey starts up again would not be representative of reality and what truly is happening right now. The NHL will be turned upside down with all those free agents, prospects ready to make the jump, organization movement, etc.

There's just nothing in my eyes that warrants a draft based on last season's standings.

Name one team that will have a Cap problem that will cost them more than perhaps one, at most two, players, (and those likely would be aging or marginal)? Now define 'turned upside down' for me as I do not think that you know what the phrase means.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Jaded-Fan said:
Your math sucks dude!! :lol:

Montreal, Calgary, Dallas, Colorado, New Jersey,NY Islanders,Nashville,St. Louis have 3% of getting the #1 pick.

Vancouver,Philadelphia,Ottawa,Toronto have 2%

Read,understand and then respond :shakehead

Cosis

Van said:
Yup. You have to have a CBA to have a draft. If no CBA is agreed upon in 2005, there will be no draft in 2005.

There will be a draft in 2005. One way or another. :D

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
T@T said:

Montreal, Calgary, Dallas, Colorado, New Jersey,NY Islanders,Nashville,St. Louis have 3% of getting the #1 pick.

3+3+3+3+3+2+2+2+2+2+2+1+1 = 29

Montreal...3
Calgary...3
Dallas...3
Colorado/New Jersey...3
Ottawa...2
Toronto...2
San Jose/Boston...2
Tampa Bay...1
Detroit...1

Approaching a 1 in 3 chance, as I said . . . Now :teach: me some more . . .

BCCHL inactive

Cosis said:
There will be a draft in 2005. One way or another. :D

Keep telling yourself that. The ONLY way a 2005 draft can happen, is if the NHL and NHLPA ratify a Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
John Flyers Fan said:
IMO the fairest way to do it is to have a complete lottery, Tampa has equal chance as Pittsburgh to get Crosby ... but then have this draft snake .. 1-30, 30-1 etc.

I think the fairest way is to push the draft back until the all-star break and use the 2005-06 standings. Combine it all into one giant media event.

GodZillaAteMyZamboni

Jan 18, 2003
Visit site
T@T said:

I believe he means 1 in 3 chance of going to one of that group of teams. Not a 1 in 3 chance for each individual team he mentioned.

GodZillaAteMyZamboni

Jan 18, 2003
Visit site
Jaded-Fan said:
...I do suspect though that unlike Jagr, who is not the most likable of people, AO likely will make a difference and will turn a corner for you guys. I love Malkin, but AO will bring people into your arena.
Yeah, Jagr's image was further trashed in DC because he was an ex-Pen. Even Robert Lang, who seems to be a very likable fellow had his detractors in Washington because of being an ex-Pen. AO doesn't carry that baggage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->