2005 draft after all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

westcoastsabre

Apr 11, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Visit site
Wednesday night on the Shaw telecast of Vancouver Giants and Calgary Hitmen, the host was interviewing the Calgary Flames play-by-play guy and he said there is word the NHL is going to have a 2005 draft, regardless of whether a CBA is in place. Thats all he said on the matter.

speeds

Feb 27, 2002
St.Albert
Visit site
I guess it initially sounds kinda stupid, but there's really no harm in doing it (unless it opens them up to legal problems).

They can always hold the draft and then whenever they get around to hammering out a new CBA have one of the conditions be that the NHLPA agrees that the draft the owners already had in the summer of 2005 is valid.

And if the union won't agree to that, nothing lost really, except the time it takes to hold the draft. If it opens them to legal problems then I'm sure they wouldn't go ahead with it, but if it doesn't, then yeah, why not?

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
They can hold a draft and let the players drafted play in the AHL or ECHL or their own country...until the CBA settles...

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
the draft is part of the CBA so you can't have a draft without a CBA is in place...the draft will be delayed till the lockout is over.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Why don't they find some irrational of drafting. They can make ISS (CSB) pick out the first round, then each team would select a number from a bowler hat and find which player it matches. Obvioulsy any team who picks out #1 will be very pleased.

VernonForrest

Feb 20, 2003
San Diego
Come on now, ISS? what do they have to do with anything regarding the NHL? You dont get some second class scouting service to pick players for NHL teams.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
People, for the final time: no CBA = no draft. The NHL's CSS has said as much, three months ago. I know it's a great draft, with some great talent, but all these dreamers saying "there'll be a draft regardless of the CBA" got annoying a long time ago.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
God Bless Canada said:
People, for the final time: no CBA = no draft. The NHL's CSS has said as much, three months ago. I know it's a great draft, with some great talent, but all these dreamers saying "there'll be a draft regardless of the CBA" got annoying a long time ago.

Agreed, and they went into more detail than that saying that it would definately NOT be combined, would occur right after a new CBA is signed. The method of determining draft order, if the season is lost, is yet to be determined.

speeds

Feb 27, 2002
St.Albert
Visit site
NYR469 said:
the draft is part of the CBA so you can't have a draft without a CBA is in place...the draft will be delayed till the lockout is over.

you are quite likely right, but they could still (theoretically) hold a draft this summer even though it wouldn't be officially recognized as such until it were signed into the CBA at a later date, with the NHLPA's consent.

Doesn't seem particularly likely to me, but then again it doesn't seem impossible unless there are legal reasons they couldn't hold a provisional draft this summer without a CBA.

BCCHL inactive

speeds said:
you are quite likely right, but they could still (theoretically) hold a draft this summer even though it wouldn't be officially recognized as such until it were signed into the CBA at a later date, with the NHLPA's consent.

Doesn't seem particularly likely to me, but then again it doesn't seem impossible unless there are legal reasons they couldn't hold a provisional draft this summer without a CBA.

I will repeat.

A draft without an agreement is collusion.

speeds

Feb 27, 2002
St.Albert
Visit site
Van said:
I will repeat.

good, great, I'll take your word for it.

I guess that would be the legal reason I left open as a possibility, right?

But, out of curiosity, what technically makes it collusion? I can understand why you can't collude when there's a valid CBA, but right now since as a practical matter nothing is happening, what are they colluding against? the players right to choose where they work???

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
NHL Draft Won't Be Held Until New Agreement Is Reached

The NHL has locked out its players in the absence of a new collective bargaining agreement.

The 2005 NHL entry draft is scheduled for June 25-26 in Ottawa. But Central Scouting director Frank Bonello says there has to be a new collective bargaining agreement for a draft to be held.

Bonello said if this NHL season is wiped out, but hockey resumes sometime later in 2005-06, a draft will be held then.

"If there were to be an agreement, say January '06, we would have a draft shortly after that time so that we'd have it prior to June '06 when the next draft is,'' Bonello said Wednesday. ``In other words, we would be very anxious to get a draft in so we don't miss it if that is the case.''

What would have to be hammered out as part of labor negotiations is the draft order. Normally teams own picks based on the previous season's standings and playoff results. The top picks are then determined by a weighted lottery

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=104862

http://midatlantic.comcastsportsnet...L%20Lockout.asp

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
Van said:

I am not so sure that draft in itself is collusion. Now, if the NHL restarts without having NHLPA sign off on such draft, they'd be in trouble trying to sign the 2005 draftees. As long as the 2005 players aren't being signed to contracts, I do not see any problem with a draft.

Otherwise most people here are in whole lot of trouble for their illegal fantasy league dealings :help: :joker:

BCCHL inactive

A draft is a team claiming exclusive rights to offer a contract to a player. Without an agreement in place to define regulations, no team can claim exclusive rights to any player.

I would bet that if a draft were to happen with no CBA, 29 teams would launch a lawsuit claiming they should have equal rights to sign Sidney Crosby to a contract.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
westcoastsabre said:
Wednesday night on the Shaw telecast of Vancouver Giants and Calgary Hitmen, the host was interviewing the Calgary Flames play-by-play guy and he said there is word the NHL is going to have a 2005 draft, regardless of whether a CBA is in place. Thats all he said on the matter.
listened to the petes/67's game tonight. they had a scout from the thrashers on who said definitively that they had been told no cba, no draft. they still are working like normal though.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Van said:
A draft is a team claiming exclusive rights to offer a contract to a player. Without an agreement in place to define regulations, no team can claim exclusive rights to any player.

Right. But what some people are suggesting is not "claiming exclusive rights to offer a contract to a player." It's more like "How about when a new CBA gets resolved, I happen to take Crosby with the first pick, and then you..." etc. No one's claiming anything there.

It wouldn't be any different than GMs discussing trades right now. I'm not sure that's happening, but I highly doubt it's collusion if it is.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
Right now there can be no draft. Now if the NHL declares an impasse right before the draft they could have a draft unless the union de-certifies before the draft day.

Really the draft could be Bettmans way of breaking the union with decertification.

Jocus

Dec 23, 2004
I don't think they could or would hold a draft without a CBA in place. However, I've heard on TSN once(just mentionned quickly) that they could sign a one day CBA. Just write up a CBA specifically for the draft and make it last one day.

The union and NHL both agree on the draft and entry level contracts mostly, so that shouldn't be a problem.

But, my opinion is that it wont happen.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
http://www.tsn.ca/chl/ if you scroll down to the video section there is a video "ottawa's loss?" about the possiblity of ottawa losing the draft. in the clip bill daly is quoted saying that if there is no cba there will be no draft because the rules of the draft are governed by the cba...

so that should put it to rest.

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
NYR469 said:
http://www.tsn.ca/chl/ if you scroll down to the video section there is a video "ottawa's loss?" about the possiblity of ottawa losing the draft. in the clip bill daly is quoted saying that if there is no cba there will be no draft because the rules of the draft are governed by the cba...

so that should put it to rest.

I'm sure we are going to see some draft threads even if it is clearly stated by the league that there is not going to be a draft.

Cosis

Habsfan 32 said:
I'm sure we are going to see some draft threads even if it is clearly stated by the league that there is not going to be a draft.

Im not saying one way or another, but I wouldnt hold my breath that there will not be a draft.
Why? Cause if the league declares impasse, then they put in their own CBA. Then you guessed it, a draft. There will most likely be a draft sometime this year. Might be in September or October but there will probably be a draft this year regardless.

chriss_co

Mar 6, 2004
CALGARY
Cosis said:
Im not saying one way or another, but I wouldnt hold my breath that there will not be a draft.
Why? Cause if the league declares impasse, then they put in their own CBA. Then you guessed it, a draft. There will most likely be a draft sometime this year. Might be in September or October but there will probably be a draft this year regardless.

I posed this exact scenario in the Business of Hockey thread:

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=128991

when you declare impasse, you are essentially declaring your own CBA... thus you can have a draft (i would expect the union to file a complaint to the NLRB and thus speed up the process)

isn't it possible? please post responses in above thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->