2005 Defensemen

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by PanthersRule96, Jan 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PanthersRule96

PanthersRule96 Registered User

Student
    Home Page:
    Who are the projected first round dmen aside from Kindl and Johnson, that are overall good dmen, but extremely physical? Is there some guy that FLA could get at #7 or higher that could be like a Jeff Schultz, Rogers, or Fistric that has good offense, good skating, and great defensive play??

2. Captain Conservative

Captain Conservative Registered User

I don't understand the reference to 2004 draft defensive prospects, but Lashoff, Bourdon and Laakso all have varying degrees of offensive upside, varying degrees of physicality, and good skating and defensive skills.

3. Barnaby

Barnaby Registered User

I've heard good things about Laakso :dunno:

4. An Ape called Yoko

An Ape called Yoko Registered User

Student
    Home Page:
    Niklas Hjalmarsson will be the highest pick from Sweden - but i dunno if he is first round material. Some dude around here who saw him in Ann Arbour really liked him... He should probably have made the JWC-squad, as his style of play is very physical - seeking hits and good offensive potential.

5. PanthersRule96

PanthersRule96 Registered User

Student
    Home Page:
    I meant with the 2004 draft prospects, it's because they were the more physical nasty dmen I heard, yet ones like Rogers and Fistric and even Schultz don't have great offensive upsides. I was wanting to know if there was a big nasty dmen like one of the three mentioned with decent offense as well and good overall ability but the best ability would be defensive play and physicality.

6. Panopticon

Panopticon Registered User

Laakso's only (or one of the very few) downside is that he follows his orders maybe too closely. He keeps his man no matter what. That's why he doesn't score much. He has the skill, but he rather does what he's told.

Laakso could be a Scott Niedermeyer, but right now he's just looking more like a bit more physical and reliable Kimmo Timonen.

He's got a great shot, though. I don't understand why he didn't play more PP in the WJC. But it says something about him that he was the youngest d-man in the team and still had the most SH ice time.

If I wanted a talented and reliable d-man with potential, I would pick Laakso, if I wanted a bruiser or a really offensive defender I would look somewhere else.

7. borro

borro Registered User

I.T. Helpdesk
    Home Page:
    I think the two Russians: Vitaly Anikeenko and Anton Belov may rise. Anikeenko seems more suited to a North American game. He's like 6'4 and Belov is 6'3.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.