2004 US NTL Junior Camp Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boondock Saint

Mar 6, 2003
Wow, I would love for Johnson, Kessel, Thelen, Wheeler and Schneider or Brown to make the team so we can all get a closer look at them....

Pontifex Maximus*

What ever happened to Kolarik (not with regard to this roster necessarily but in general)? I saw he was ranked but not very high. Some were saying just a year or so ago that he was in the top 3 college bound players in some scouts' minds. Did he not pan out?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
That's a sick group of players, especially offensively. I would love to see a blueline that featured: Thelen, Suter, Nickerson, Sharrow, Lashoff, Lewis and Likens. Talk about being able to move the puck! I also notice there are 14 CHL players that have been invited (if you count Fritsche, Nickerson, and likely Pineault). I'm glad to see USA Hockey diversifying a bit, which is almost a neccessity these days with so many top American players opting for junior hockey.

Last edited:

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
That is one jaw-dropping camp roster.....

I was thinking,,,,when I first saw the Canadian invitees....uh-oh...nobody else has a chance....but,,,damn......how about back-to-back Gold for Team USA?????

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
MePutPuckInNet said:
That is one jaw-dropping camp roster.....

I was thinking,,,,when I first saw the Canadian invitees....uh-oh...nobody else has a chance....but,,,damn......how about back-to-back Gold for Team USA?????

Well, Canada will have the same advantage the U.S. did this past WJC, and that is a roster full of returning players. The U.S. will feature considerable turnover (only eight possible returing players), but man it will be stacked. We'll see how the players can come together. Amazing skill level all around though. At first glance, I would go with:

Goaltenders:

Montoya
Schneider

Defense:

Suter
Thelen
Lewis
Likens
Hunwick
Lashoff
Nickerson
Johnson

Forwards:

O'Sullivan
Schremp
Stafford
Fritsche
Hensick
Haskins
Hennessey
Dowell
Earl
Auffrey
Callahan
Kessel

Doubt the above will happen, as the U.S. usually takes a "veteran" roster, but given all the new faces, there has to be considerable turnover, so who knows?

Last edited:

db23

Rabid Ranger said:
Well, Canada will have the same advantage the U.S. did this past WJC, and that is a roster full of returning players. The U.S. will feature considerable turnover (only eight possible returing players), but man it will be stacked. We'll see how the players can come together. Amazing skill level all around though. At first glance, I would go with:

Goaltenders:

Montoya
Schneider

Defense:

Suter
Thelen
Lewis
Likens
Hunwick
Lashoff
Nickerson
Johnson

Forwards:

O'Sullivan
Schremp
Stafford
Fritsche
Hensick
Haskins
Hennessey
Dowell
Earl
Auffrey
Callahan
Kessel

Doubt the above will happen, as the U.S. usually takes a "veteran" roster, but given all the new faces, there has to be considerable turnover, so who knows?

Johnson and Kessel are exceptional talents. Not only were they the best players at their respective positions on the U17 team last year, they were also the best on the U18 team when they moved up. I could easily see one or both making the WJC team.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
db23 said:
Johnson and Kessel are exceptional talents. Not only were they the best players at their respective positions on the U17 team last year, they were also the best on the U18 team when they moved up. I could easily see one or both making the WJC team.

Kessel was. Johnson wasn't. The best defenseman on either US team (either U17 or U18) was Hagemo. I would not be surprised to see him this team

Stock Rocks

Feb 27, 2002
Billerica, Mass.
Visit site
Good talent, yes- but most lack the experience of playing in the World U-20's, a factor that will definitely benefit Team Canada.

Plus, the added pressure of playing on home soil...Team USA has a hard mountain to climb to repeat as champs IMO.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Stock Rocks said:
Good talent, yes- but most lack the experience of playing in the World U-20's, a factor that will definitely benefit Team Canada.

Plus, the added pressure of playing on home soil...Team USA has a hard mountain to climb to repeat as champs IMO.

Fair point on the experience, although I don't really think the U.S. experiences much home grown pressure, as there isn't alot of coverage of the event in the media in this country.

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
I wasn't shocked that Kolarik didn't make the camp but it's only because he's irritated the US coaches so much. On skill alone this kid is way above other 86's that made the camp such as Haskins, Bourque and Davis.

As for the 87's, Kessel and Johnson. I agree with the above post, I think Kessel will probably make this team, the kid can flat out score. Johnson on the other hand has his work cut out for him. This team is deep older defensemen and some people feel he wasn't even the best 87 defensemen on the US team. Zach Jones another 87 played a better overall game in Belarus but did not get invited to the World Junior camp.

I disagree with the above post saying that Auffrey will make the team. Auffrey was very hyped coming into the US program but never really panned out. He never scored like people thought he would and his game really lacks intensity. Doesn't seem like a fit for this team.

Here is my prediction for the team but keep in mind there may be a player or two added to the final roster whose not invited to this camp.

Goalies:

Montoya
Schneider

Defense:

Suter
Likens
Hunwick
Thelan
Lashoff
Sharrow
Lewis
Nickerson

Forwards

O'Sullivan
Fristche
Stafford
Hensick
Hennessy
Dowell
Porter
Kessel
Schremp
Earl
Brown
Haskins
Pineault

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
LemonDrop_27 said:
I wasn't shocked that Kolarik didn't make the camp but it's only because he's irritated the US coaches so much. On skill alone this kid is way above other 86's that made the camp such as Haskins, Bourque and Davis.

As for the 87's, Kessel and Johnson. I agree with the above post, I think Kessel will probably make this team, the kid can flat out score. Johnson on the other hand has his work cut out for him. This team is deep older defensemen and some people feel he wasn't even the best 87 defensemen on the US team. Zach Jones another 87 played a better overall game in Belarus but did not get invited to the World Junior camp.

I disagree with the above post saying that Auffrey will make the team. Auffrey was very hyped coming into the US program but never really panned out. He never scored like people thought he would and his game really lacks intensity. Doesn't seem like a fit for this team.

Here is my prediction for the team but keep in mind there may be a player or two added to the final roster whose not invited to this camp.

Goalies:

Montoya
Schneider

Defense:

Suter
Likens
Hunwick
Thelan
Lashoff
Sharrow
Lewis
Nickerson

Forwards

O'Sullivan
Fristche
Stafford
Hensick
Hennessy
Dowell
Porter
Kessel
Schremp
Earl
Brown
Haskins
Pineault

Thanks for the insights. Our teams are pretty close. I added Auffrey for his size, but that isn't the end all ,especially if you don't use it.

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
Thats my hang up with Auffrey, big kid who doesn't always show up. If he threw his body around alittle he could really help this team, they need some more size up front, but Auffrey lacks intensity and is non-existent physically.

Stefferdoos

Apr 5, 2003
Nashua, NH
Visit site
Assuming there is an NHL season next year, what's the chance that Frische and O'Sullivan aren't available for the tournament??? I can't see Patrick not getting signed next year. He's just too good.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
Stefferdoos said:
Assuming there is an NHL season next year, what's the chance that Frische and O'Sullivan aren't available for the tournament??? I can't see Patrick not getting signed next year. He's just too good.

I agree, I think O'Sullivan, Fritsche, and Suter will all be in the NHL.

With that, I think the team would like more like...

Goalies:

Montoya
Schneider

Defense:

Hunwick
Johnson
Lashoff
Likens
Lewis
Macias
Thelen
Sharrow

Forwards

Dowell
Earl
Haskins
Hennessy
Hensick
Kessel
Lerg
Pineault
Porter
Schremp
Stafford
Brown
Stastny

Like Rabid Ranger said, the U.S. usually goes with 19-year olds, but I really would hope to see guys like Macias, Johnson, Lashoff, and Kessel on the team. Though it's not likely they'd all make it. Plus there may not even be an NHL season next year, so O'Sullivan, Fritsche, and Suter would be there in that case.

JeSuisReine

Feb 21, 2004
Stefferdoos said:

I believe Patrick has a verbal agreement with the Wild that whenever he is able to play for team USA, [World Juniors, World Cup, Olympics, whatever] that he is able to do it.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Postman said:
I agree, I think O'Sullivan, Fritsche, and Suter will all be in the NHL.

With that, I think the team would like more like...

Goalies:

Montoya
Schneider

Defense:

Hunwick
Johnson
Lashoff
Likens
Lewis
Macias
Thelen
Sharrow

Forwards

Dowell
Earl
Haskins
Hennessy
Hensick
Kessel
Lerg
Pineault
Porter
Schremp
Stafford
Brown
Stastny

Like Rabid Ranger said, the U.S. usually goes with 19-year olds, but I really would hope to see guys like Macias, Johnson, Lashoff, and Kessel on the team. Though it's not likely they'd all make it. Plus there may not even be an NHL season next year, so O'Sullivan, Fritsche, and Suter would be there in that case.

I doubt the US will carry 8 D-men, cuz if they do they will have to drop to 12 forwards. So you will have to cut one D-man off your list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->