2004 Steal? Michael Vernace

Status
Not open for further replies.

X-SHARKIE

Sharks selected 6-2 200 Defenseman Micheal Vernace in the 8th round at the 2004 entry draft. At the moment he is playing for the Brampton Battallion.

His numbers are 11 5 4 9 1 8 ....11 games, 5 goals, 4 assist, 8 PIM.

Those are equal to Wojtek Wolski's numbers if I'm not mistaken.

Has anyone seen this guy? Any thoughts would be great since I can't find anything on him except at the Sharks page on this site.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
We can't say who is a steal until they make the NHL. Also like many people are saying about Jason King, wait until the end of the year to make a judgment.

X-SHARKIE

Russian_fanatic said:
We can't say who is a steal until they make the NHL. Also like many people are saying about Jason King, wait until the end of the year to make a judgment.

Agreed, but it's hard to ignore this guys numbers, He hardly played last year but shined when he did, and now he's putting up these numbers early, makes you wonder if he's just starting to bloom.

Basically I want to know how this guy plays, skating, physical? Hands...ect. Thanks.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
X-SHARKIE said:
Agreed, but it's hard to ignore this guys numbers, He hardly played last year but shined when he did, and now he's putting up these numbers early, makes you wonder if he's just starting to bloom.

Basically I want to know how this guy plays, skating, physical? Hands...ect. Thanks.

No doubt those are awesome numbers, but if he can keep his play up, and play like this for the rest of his career then yes he can be considered a steal.

Reilly311

Just because you can score in Junior Hockey DOES NOT mean you can score in the NHL.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
Johnathan Paiment (6th rd pick 2004) is 6th in the Q in points and 3rd in PPG. And Im not talking about just defensemen, everyone. Thats better than Picard, Bernier, Hennessy, Latendresse and Zagrapan.Yet they all have better futures. Stats dont mean much.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Reilly311 said:
Just because you can score in Junior Hockey DOES NOT mean you can score in the NHL.

Where does any poster claim it does??? Are you having issues? Is your mom restricting your game-boy advanced time? Not "interacting well" with the other kids at school? Start being nicer. :)

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
NYRangers said:
Johnathan Paiment (6th rd pick 2004) is 6th in the Q in points and 3rd in PPG. And Im not talking about just defensemen, everyone. Thats better than Picard, Bernier, Hennessy, Latendresse and Zagrapan.Yet they all have better futures. Stats dont mean much.

paiement was an 8th round pick (#247 overall)

velimiiro

X-SHARKIE said:
Sharks selected 6-2 200 Defenseman Micheal Vernace in the 8th round at the 2004 entry draft. At the moment he is playing for the Brampton Battallion.

His numbers are 11 5 4 9 1 8 ....11 games, 5 goals, 4 assist, 8 PIM.

Those are equal to Wojtek Wolski's numbers if I'm not mistaken.

Has anyone seen this guy? Any thoughts would be great since I can't find anything on him except at the Sharks page on this site.

What a surprise, you're a shark fan, who is saying the sharks made a steal, surprise surprise surprise! :joker:

miss hockey

Sep 6, 2004
Helsinki
borro said:
Sami Lepisto has looked really good. The Caps may have stolen one there!

Sami Lepistö: GP11 2+2=4 +6 -2= +4 0PIM all of them from what I gather to be powerplays, 38 shots @ 5,26% shot efficiency.. he's done well and looked good, too bad the sm-liiga site doesnt show minutes played anywhere..

But Lepistö is no steal imho. He was touted as a 1st round pick after the WJC and slipped closer to the draft, but every team in the NHL should have known that he's a really solid prospect, being overaged probably cost him a higher draft rank, as did his size. But every team out there should have known exactly what kind of prospect he is/was.

Still, hmm, I think he should have gone somewhere about the halfway mark of the 2nd round, so essentially half the teams imho passed up on him for someone else. I woudnt call it a steal yet, but certainly a better pick than many ahead of it, but there's a lot more for time to tell before we can judge.,.

Strizzi

Aug 8, 2002
Visit site
Superfluous U said:
Did no one else notice there is a question mark in the thread title?
Poor Sharkie gets jumped all over just because he's a little excited this guy might be good and wants to know more about him.
Exactly. If the others would just take 10 seconds to read his post a bit more accurately, they'd know that he doesn't make any claim but is looking for information.

Baron Von Shark

Feb 21, 2003
CA
Visit site
Seriously...can't we be fans and have some enjoyment? Everyone on this board is such a damn critic (myself included ha!). We all need to chill out from time to time and just have some fun and be excited when we see one of our own prospects does well. Hey, I harp on Sharkie all the time, but I'm trying to cut down, I swear! :)

Flyer765

Mar 15, 2004
Telford, England
Dylan hunter went in the 9th round and he's putting up some good numbers in the OHL. Although the fact he has Perry, Bolland and Scremp around has to contribute a little to those.

Diaboli

Sep 16, 2004
City once voted as F
Superfluous U said:
Did no one else notice there is a question mark in the thread title?
Poor Sharkie gets jumped all over just because he's a little excited this guy might be good and wants to know more about him.

Actually, the title's question is, "who will be 2004 draft's steal?" And then sharkie answers it himself. "Michael Vernace". So there is a legitimate reason why some people attack him for that. :teach:

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Diaboli said:
Actually, the title's question is, "who will be 2004 draft's steal?" And then sharkie answers it himself. "Michael Vernace". So there is a legitimate reason why some people attack him for that. :teach:

Back to Remedial Reading with ya...the title says "2004 Steal? Michael Vernace"

Granted he should have placed a "?" after the kid's name but its not like he is declaring Vernace the end of all steals of the draft. There is no legitimate reason to attack a person who is asking for a scouting report. They just have nothing substantial to offer and try to bring others down to their level.

mooseOAK*

I think you are more likely to get a steal in the 8th round from Europe. Hoping for one out of the juniors where every team has a scout that has seen him has a greater chance of futility.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Alright, everyone back away from the thread.

Let's begin again. Who here can tell me something about Michael Vernace that has seen the young man play the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad