2004 IIHF World U20 Championship: Div.III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donga

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
clefty said:
No. You don't even get the NHL on network television.

Anyone got Foxtel/ESPN?? If so can I bum around at your place this fri so i can watch Staal in action against the Rags. :D

Aussie

Jan 6, 2004
Australia
Visit site
From the IHA site:

Australia defeats China 6-3. Gold medal looking good!

The Australian National Junior team has recorded its third straight win at the World Under 20 Div III Championships in Bulgaria, defeating the strong Chinese team 6 - 3. Australia needs to win just one of its last two games to be assured of a gold medal. In other games Mexico defeated New Zealand 4-3, and Turkey defeated Bulgaria 5-2.

Australia next plays New Zealand on Saturday, and Turkey on Sunday.

Sorry Van, but by the time the IIHF have caught up, the whole world will know the scores anyway.

GO AUSSIE

:handclap: :handclap: :handclap: :handclap:

BCCHL inactive

Aussie said:
Sorry Van, but by the time the IIHF have caught up, the whole world will know the scores anyway.

It's not about "catching up". This tournament is not run live on the internet. After each game has finished, the game sheet is faxed to the IIHF offices. Only then is the score made official on the website....and only then is when I will update scores.

fez

Oct 27, 2002
Auckland, NZ
www.auihc.tk
Sorry guys Ive been away, and will be for the next week.
But Im glad to see we have some leaders in the scoring, and currently leading the goal scoring.

Thanks for the support Tray

Last edited by a moderator:

Aussie

Jan 6, 2004
Australia
Visit site
tray said:
So anyone got an update from the OZ vs NZ game?!

From the IHA site:

Australian Junior Team wins Gold Medal in Bulgaria

The Australian National Junior team has defeated New Zealand 10 - 3 in their fourth game at the World Under 20 Campionships Div III being played in Sofia Bulgaria and have won the Gold medal. With just one game remaining against Turkey tomorrow, the Australian team cannot be displaced from first place. This caps of a stellar 12 months for Australian Ice Hockey, in which we have seen three gold medalist teams move from Division 3 to Division 2 World Championships. Congratulations to the Junior team, this is an outstanding result!

:handclap: :yo: :joker: :bow: :handclap:

BCCHL inactive

Tomorrow's games are completely meaningless as Australia and China have guaranteed themselves promotion to Division II next year.

Aussie

Jan 6, 2004
Australia
Visit site
Van said:
Tomorrow's games are completely meaningless as Australia and China have guaranteed themselves promotion to Division II next year.
The only interest will be to see who picks up bronze, and who gets relegated.

The three bottom countries are New Zealand, Bulgaria and Turkey, all on 2 points.

Mexico is currently in third and plays Bulgaria later today in what is a play-off game for Bronze. Mexico should win this.

NZ will lose to China, and Turkey will lose to Australia. This will leave New Zealand, Bulgaria and Turkey as equal last place at the end of the Championships. The placings will then first be decided by head to head, however I don't think this will come into play (NZ has beaten Turkey, Bulgaria has defeated NZ and Turkey has defeated Bulgaria).

Next the GF / GA comes into play, which I think is decided by GF - GA.

This currently stands as:

NZ -10
Bulgaria -18
Turkey -19

NZ looks pretty safe...my tip is Turkey gets relegated.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
A great result for the lads. Great tournaments from Alex D'jamirze, Thomas Powell, James Keane and Scott Stephenson in particular. With the gold, Australia's youth, senior and now junior teams have all achieved promotion from Div. III to Div. II.

All in all, a terrific year for Australian Ice Hockey!
:handclap:
kanga-top.gif

fez

Oct 27, 2002
Auckland, NZ
www.auihc.tk
Oh well, we tried, this is where I pull the "oh well Auzzie is like 20 times bigger than us" line, I think we still put up a pretty good fight. Plus you guys probably have a crap load more money to spend on the sport, whereas we dont even draw crowds to our national games.

thanks for a good tourny though on behalf of the NZ team

and congratulations.

BCCHL inactive

Aussie said:
The only interest will be to see who picks up bronze, and who gets relegated.

This is Division III. There is no relegation.

gamblor

Jul 21, 2003
Visit site
Van said:
This is Division III. There is no relegation.

Yeah, how does that work? Last year's Div III last place team, Luxembourg, didn't even field a team this year. Were they barred from the tournament for being so bad?

Also, are both Australia and China going to be promoted? The iihf web site only mentions Australia being promoted.

BCCHL inactive

gamblor said:
Yeah, how does that work? Last year's Div III last place team, Luxembourg, didn't even field a team this year. Were they barred from the tournament for being so bad?

Division III is basically decided by the number of participants who register a U20 team (same goes for Div.III in U20, Womens, etc.). Luxembourg did not register a U20 team this year.

The IIHF Congress will meet in Prague May 7-8, 2004. Part of the time there will be used to decide whether or not there will be qualification games needed for Division III, depending on the number of registered teams.

National Federations have until the end of April to confirm their participation in international championship tournaments.

gamblor said:
Also, are both Australia and China going to be promoted? The iihf web site only mentions Australia being promoted.

Belgium and Korea were both promoted from Division III last year, so I assume China will move up along with Australia. I am waiting for a confirmation email response from the IIHF.

BCCHL inactive

China will move up to Division II next year...

From the IIHF website...

"Div. III—Bulgaria

Australia earned a perfect 5-0-0 record and the right to move up to the Div. II U20 World Championship next year after winning the Div. III World Championship. Australia beat out China, which finished the championship with only one loss against the Aussies. China will also move up despite the second-place finish since there are two available spots for Div. III teams to be promoted.

Australia was locked in some close battles in the early games of the championship, skating to a 2-6 win over Mexico and a 3-6 win over China, however Australia improved as the tournament went on and closed with convincing wins against New Zealand (10-3) and Turkey (10-1).

The top three scorers from the tournament all hailed from Australia (James Keane, Alex Djamirze and Thomas Powell) as the squad outscored opponents 42:13. Australia entered the tournament as the fourth-seeded team and was not considered a favourite to earn the promotion up into the second division.

Mexico, finished the tournament in third place with six points, while the remaining three teams, Turkey, Bulgaria and New Zealand each ended the tournament in a three-way tie with two points each.

PROMOTED: AUSTRALIA, CHINA"

http://www.iihf.com/news/iihfpr1104.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->