2004 IIHF World U20 Championship: Div.I, Group A

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCCHL inactive

Yes it is goal differential.

Here is the goal differential after today's games...

Latvia: +18
Germany: +15
Denmark: -1
Slovenia: -3
Kazakhstan: +1
Hungary: -30

So as you can see, the only realistic way Denmark will win this tournament (providing they beat Hungary) is if Slovenia beats Latvia and Kazakhstan beats Germany....which is possible, but not likely.

As for Germany and Latvia being tied at the top....Germany does have a chance to overtake Latvia based on goal differential, but with the two clubs' respective opponents, I'm not confident that will happen.

BCCHL inactive

Stevenet said:
all Latvia has to do is beat Slovenia to clinch

Sorry for the lateness, but this isn't entirely true.

If both Latvia and Germany win today, it goes to goal differential because they are tied head-to-head...and Latvia is only beating Germany by +3.

Depending on how many goals Latvia gets, Germany could beat the utter crap out of Kazakhstan and take first place...and being at home, ze Germans will be motivated.

Bleifooss

Van said:
Sorry for the lateness, but this isn't entirely true.

If both Latvia and Germany win today, it goes to goal differential because they are tied head-to-head...and Latvia is only beating Germany by +3.

Depending on how many goals Latvia gets, Germany could beat the utter crap out of Kazakhstan and take first place...and being at home, ze Germans will be motivated.

Well, well, well: Two games can make a difference. As expected Denmark beat Hungary with 10-2 and they have seven points now. In a surprise win Slovenia did beat Latvia with 6-4 and they have six points each with Slovenia holding the game breaker, since they won the decisive game against each other. However, Germany holds all the cards before the last game (vs. Kazakhstan) now. If they tie or win they will win the tournament and be promoted to the A pool. If they snooze and lose, Denmark will.

Last edited by a moderator:

rbeeler

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Wow, what an upset...never thought Slovenia would beat Latvia (unless they were getting tired of being pummeled by the stronger teams!!!)

Anyhow, hope Germany can pull this one off. I would love to see German prospects like Gawlik and Greiss play in the top division, improving their chances to be selected in the NHL draft.

Bleifooss

rbeeler said:
Wow, what an upset...never thought Slovenia would beat Latvia (unless they were getting tired of being pummeled by the stronger teams!!!)

Anyhow, hope Germany can pull this one off. I would love to see German prospects like Gawlik and Greiss play in the top division, improving their chances to be selected in the NHL draft.

After two periods of play:

Germany leads by a score of 5-1. Goals by Boon (2), Carciola, Sulzer und Kink. Larionov scored for Kazakhstan.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
The Claw said:
After first period of play:

Germany leads by a score of 2-0. Goals by Boon and Carciola. Both goals came on the powerplay.

Germany leads now by a score of 5-1

second period goals coming from Sulzer(PP), Boon and Kink

and the lone marker for Kazakhstan by Dmitry Larionov

Bleifooss

Seven_Nation_Army said:
Germany leads now by a score of 5-1

second period goals coming from Sulzer(PP), Boon and Kink

and the lone marker for Kazakhstan by Dmitry Larionov

Germany wins game with 6-2 and tournament and therefore will get promoted to the A pool in 2005 played in the U.S.A..

Third period goals by Hospelt for Germany and Gorban for Kazakhstan.

Congratulation to Team Germany!

Final standings:

standings.jpg

BCCHL inactive

We know the final standings....no need to post them again.

The Claw said:
If they tie or win they will win the tournament and be promoted to the A pool.

I know it is all said and done, but if Germany had have tied their last game, their goal differential would have been +15.... Latvia, who ended at +16 after their loss to Slovenia, would have won the tournament based on goal differential.....by one goal.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
I think he is right, a tie was all they needed. Latvia had the same amount of points as Germany (6) before the last game, so a tie would have given Germany 7 points to Latvias 6.
And Germany had a better goal differential than Denmark, giving them the tie-breaker.

fan75

Mar 22, 2002
Montreal
rbeeler said:
To be fair, they were in every game except against Germany.

BCCHL inactive

Sanderson said:
I think he is right, a tie was all they needed. Latvia had the same amount of points as Germany (6) before the last game, so a tie would have given Germany 7 points to Latvias 6.
And Germany had a better goal differential than Denmark, giving them the tie-breaker.

My bad.

I hate the IIHF's format of W-T-L .....I was reading the standings as W-L-T, therefore I calculated the same record had Germany tied their game this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad