2004 Draft - stock increase/decrease

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
X-SHARKIE said:
For the Sharks, Lukas Kaspar stock has sagged IMO, he has some nights where he looks briliant but they are every 2 games out of 10 games it seams...very frustrating..His stock is down.

Thomas Greiss taken in the 3rd round, is the best goalie in the DEL already at the age of 20, he's been brilliant all year. I've seen him my self and he has shades of Kiprusoff in him.

Torrey Mitchell, 4th round, should also go up, he has 22 points in 15 NCAA games this year as a sophmore.

Steven Zalewski same, solid two way center.

Michael Vernace is up, putting up some numbers in the OHL.

Everyone else is pretty much down though IMO.

There is still a lot of time for things to change, but right now, my take:

Lukas Kaspar- Would probably go in the mid-second round if the draft was redone. There is still tons of time for him to turn it around though. U got his problems pretty well Max

Thomas Greiss- I thought he was a bit of a surprise pick in the third, but his stats tell the story. Absolutely amazing stats; he is even garnering consideration for the Olympic team! Since he was already a reach of a pick on draft day, he would probably go late second if the draft was redone.

Torrey Mitchell- He's played well as a sophmore too. He could be a good third liner, and he is an above-average playmaker who reminded me of Alyn McCauley. He would go in the mid-third-round, I think.

Jason Churchill- Has not done anything to overly impress me. Wasn't he supposedly the best goalie in the QMJHL when drafted? He has steadily improved, and he has shown a lot of potential, but he has not done anything to justify an increase or decrease in his stock.

Steven Zalewski- Very underrated. He is a two-way center and will have four years to develop, and he has decent stats. If he even makes the NHL, this will be a good pick. So I do not believe his stock has changed.

Michael Vernace- up, up, up. Did scouts overlook him. Very dangerous player, who is extremely explosive and creative. Its a rare trait in players. He needs to improve his skating and stuff, but he might go in the early third if the draft were re-done.

The last four are all enigmas. I have not heard much about them, but they could still make the NHL as they are all projects. Its difficlt with to tell if the stocks of late-round picks have risen or fallen.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
1/4) LW - Andrew Ladd - even.... up from last season. Many would argue that he should be down but the drop off between Malkin and Ladd was so emense that there was plenty of room for others to improve.
2/38) G - Justin Peters - even. He's having a bit of a rough year this year but his play the last couple of years can't be denied. Still projects to be an excelent backup and possible starter.
3/69) D - Casey Borer - up. A guy that went from something of a surprise selection in the 3rd round to being arguably the best defenseman on the US WJC team last year.
4/109) D - Brett Carson - even. He was reguarded as a potential day-one pick heading into the draft and he has lived up to those expectations so far. Wether the Canes decide to sign him and develop him or play it on the cheep side like they usually do with prospects remains to be seen.
5/137) G - Magnus Akerlund - even. Still reguarded as a possible future backup. Really hasn't done much good or bad to change that perception.
7/202) D - Ryan Pottruff - even.
8/235) RW - Jonas Fiedler - even.
9/268) D - Martin Vagner - even.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
For the Blues:

1st. Marek Schwarz - DOWN - he isn't getting enough playing time this year in the Check Repub. This will hurt his development.

2nd. Carl Soderberg - UP - leads the tier two in points. Hope the Blues bring him over next year.

3. Victor Alexandrov - UP - Playing very well in the RSL.

4. Michal Birner - Down - Started out the season with a bang, but has slowed down a bit. 40pts in 26 games.

5. Nikita Nikitin - UP - At 19 is playing a regular shift in the RSL.

6. Roman Polak - Neutral - Don't really know much about him since he left and returned to Europe.

7. David Fredrikson - Neutral - Big forward w/ limited scoring potential.

8. Jon Boutin - I think we dumped his rights. He was born in 84 and we didn't pick him up this past summer when he came out.

A Good Flying Bird*

Detroit Red Wings

97 C Johan Franzen
Up
Yeah, he's a bit older. But still, he's stepped right in and become a good defensive center and killed penalties.

128 C Evan McGrath
Way Up
Really, this guy, in retrospect could have been a first rounder.

151 D Siarhei Kolasau
Even
Was pretty good for Belarus in the WJCs
Big hard-hitting defenseman with very little offense. Detroit thought highly enough of him after rookie camp to find him a team (Cedar Rapids) in the USHL/ Haven't heard much about his play there. But I know he was suspended for a head butt.

162 C Tyler Haskins
Up ... slightly

What do you expect from a guy taken 162nd? He's captain of his team. He's scoring way more this year after two disappointing years.
He's on the bubble, in terms of getting a contract from the Red Wings after the season as Detroit's farm system is starting to fill up.

192 L Anton Axelsson
Up
A year older, but had numbers similar to Bergfors and Kopitar last year in Swedish juniors. Also has a good defensive game, like Bruins brother PJ

226 R Steve Covington
DOWN
WIngs released his rights.

257 R Gennady Stolyarov
???
Rights owned by Dynamo ... But playing in other league with Kapitan Stupino. 6'4 winger with skills and skating ... but seems like WIngs have given up on him ...
Still, hard to say the stock has fallen on a guy picked 257th.

290 D Nils Backstrom
???

Who knows? A shot in the dark pick.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
6 G Al Montoya - Around the same. Had a shakey year last year in Michigan but has really picked his play up in Hartford. Out for a while though with a finger injury. Slightly up if anything.
19 C Lauri Korpikoski - Slightly down since he has to spend this year in Finland again burried on his team due to military obligations.
36 C Darin Olver - Up. I didn't like this pick and nor did anyone else. Solid college player who is slowly proving why he was nearly a 1st round pick.
48 L Dane Byers - Down. Had an awful post draft year and is doing mediocre this year. For his draft position, people were expecting a lot more.
51 C Bruce Graham - Right on track. Kid should've been a first rounder.
60 C Brandon Dubinsky - Up up up! Great pick! Dubinsky is a great steal it looks like.
73 R Zdenek Bahensky - Neutral. Zdenek has so many question marks its not even funny.
80 C Billy Ryan - Another suprise pick. His stock is rising each game, it seems. great kid who will only get better as time goes on.
127 R Ryan Callahan - Yet ANOTHER apparent steal for the Rangers. Callaham is a great, great player who does everything right.
135 L Roman Psurny - Neutral. Could be doing a lot better, but isn't doing really anything awful to slam him about.
169 L Jordan Foote - Down. Expectations were pretty big since he was supposed to be a natural shutdown forward with insane speed. Very young, but question marks are definately beginning to rise.
247 D Jonathan Paiement - Neutral. Overage pick who is doing mediocre this year.
266 L Jakub Petruzalek - Down. Had a decent year last year in the OHL. Went back to the Czech Republic and isn't doing that great.

Transported Upstater

King Henry I said:
Petteri Nokelainen: Way up
Blake Comeau: up
Sergei Ogordnikov: slightly down
Wes O'Neill: up
Steven Regier: around the same
Chris Campoli: steal of the draft!

My brother knows someone who used to date Campoli I think....

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Anaheim:

1st rd (9) Ladislav Smid...slightly up...nice transition to the AHL so far...leads Portland in assists.

2nd rd (39) Jordan Smith...even...okay first season in the AHL so far...being used as a forward a lot on a team that is deep on the blueline.

3rd rd (74) Kyle Klubertanz...even...long term project on D...sophomore at Wisconsin...should play all 4 years there before turning pro.

3rd rd (75) Tim Brent...even...what they expected him to be when they chose to re-draft him...a key player for AHL Portland.

6th rd (203) Matt Auffrey...even...left NCAA for OHL...so far soo good...still a long ways from being a help to Anaheim.

7th rd (203) Gabriel Bouthillette...UP...very good Q goalie on a very good Q team.

8th rd (236) Matt Christie...even

9th rd (269) Janne Pesonen...Down...was supposed to be a late steal who could possibly help Anaheim sooner rather than later...not going to happen.

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
BLACKHAWKS:
7th Round Blackhawks draft pick Tory Brouwer is currently leading the WHL in scoring, Id say his stock has risen.

8th rounder Eric Hunter is having a solid year too. Its too bad Hawks didnt make Hunter a qualifying offer so he is no longer Hawk prroperty, too bad. He didnt come on until this season, and we had a ridiculous amount of picks that year so I dont blame the Hawks. I dont know if hes a free agent after the year or if he goes back into the draft.

Our top picks Barker, Bolland, Bickell, Garlock, Sindell, and Berti are all progressing about as expected. Bolland's value may have gone up some but he was the #32 pick, just a lash short of being a first rounder so a lot was expected of him.

Fifth rounder Adam Burrish seems to be coming on at Wisconsin, scoring two game winners against conference rivals this past weekend.

Last edited:

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
I know this sounds very homeristic, but in all seriousness I think the Islanders did very well considering the lack of talent in the draft class.

Petteri Nokelainen: Often underrated, his stock is up. Would probably go top 10 today. Is already a contributer in the NHL and is going to be a really good defensive/energy player.

Blake Comeau: Really good junior player with tons of grit, heart and an improving offensive ability. Whether he can score at an NHL level is questionable, but even if he can't he can still be a really good character third liner on any team.

Sergei Ogordnikov: I'd have to say his stock has gone down a bit, but wasn't too high to begin with. He looked really good during the Canada/Russia challenge. He was Russia's best player and is very flashy, but I seriously doubt his ability to handle NHL traffic.

Wes O'Neill: Same. He should have been drafted earlier. He's not the potential anchor he was labelled a year before the draft, but he's certainly not the brain dead slug he was labelled on draft day. He's a project, but he sure has tools.

Steven Regier: Down. Not by much, but he hasn't really done anything to stand out and maintain his spot on the depth chart.

Chris Campoli: Way up. What can I say, he's already a good NHL defenceman. He is one of those guys people that show why the late rounds matter. How he slipped I'll never know, but I'm sure glad we got him.

think-blue-

Sep 28, 2002
Visit site
For the Leafs Id say G Justin Pogge (90), D Dmitri Vorobiev (157) and F Robbie Earl (187) all have had their stocks increase since draft day, while Roman Kukumebergs (113) is down. The rest I dont know too much about but it doesn't appear that theyve done anything to establish themselves as legit threats to crack the NHL, so about the same or down.

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
think/blue said:
For the Leafs Id say G Justin Pogge (90), D Dmitri Vorobiev (157) and F Robbie Earl (187) all have had their stocks increase since draft day, while Roman Kukumebergs (113) is down. The rest I dont know too much about but it doesn't appear that theyve done anything to establish themselves as legit threats to crack the NHL, so about the same or down.

Vorobiev was considerd asolid satay at home dman at the draft but fell a lot due to the new issues in bringing over the Russians. So he was considered a better player than where he was drafted even at draft time.

I agree Earl has increased in value. He is progressing pretty good at Wisconsin where the Hawks ve 4 of their prospects. Nice speedy, skiled player in Earl.

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
I don't think being a homer is really important here.... the question is only if your evaluation is that the stock of a player increased or not... I am far from being a Leaf fan, but I agree that Vorobiev would go probably in round 2-3 instead of the 5th one if the draft was repeated.

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
Kafka said:
I don't think being a homer is really important here.... the question is only if your evaluation is that the stock of a player increased or not... I am far from being a Leaf fan, but I agree that Vorobiev would go probably in round 2-3 instead of the 5th one if the draft was repeated.

I agree with you, I was trying to say he is a much better player than where he was drafted. The post by the TO poster was not homerism at all, it seemed dead on to me from the little that I know.

firstroundbust

lacks explosiveness
Mar 3, 2004
Parts Unknown
DoobieDoobieDo said:
Minnesota:

12/ AJ Thelen - Down
42/ Roman Voloshenko - Up
78/ Peter Olvecky - Stay
79/ Calyton Stoner- Up
111/ Ryan Jones- ???
114/ Patrick Bordeleau - ???
117/ Julien Sprunger - Down
161/ Jean Claude Sawyer - Up
175/ Aaron Boogaard - Down
195/ Jean-Michel Rizk - Up
206/ Anton Khudobin - Up
272/ Kyle Wilson - Up

I'd say Ryan Jones stock has risen a little, he's producing more at Miami...We shoulda taken Mezaros instead of Thelen :banghead:

mileflames

Jan 14, 2005
Flames

Tim Ramholt - Down
Ryan Donnally - Down
Tyler Johnson - Up
Thomas Bellemare - Down
Cam Cunning - In 14 games for Omaha has 4 points. Up
Kevin Harvey - Down

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
19bruins19 said:
Krejci and Walter for Boston have seen their stock go up. Karsums would have, but his injury derailed him last year.

Don't forget Matt Hunwick and Anton Hedman, both of whom are playing better than expected this year.

Ashton Rome is putting up a lot of points, but I don't see him projecting as a scorer at the next level. If he makes the NHL, it will be as a grinder/checking forward.

Kris Versteeg...going down. Talent is there, but two trades under questionable circumstances in less than three months only makes you wonder.

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
I think the same thing about Meszaros - Chipchura......... Montreal would still have Hainsey in the AHL and Streit in Europe if we had Meszaros instead of that future 3rd line center (Sutherby?).

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Canucks:

26.)Corey Schnieder- same (late 1st/early 2nd rnd pick)
91.)Alexander Edler-Up (probably should've been a 2nd rndr)
125.)Andrew Sarauer-Down Down Down (never should've been drafted)
159.)Mike Brown-Up (about where he should've been picked, good enegy player)
189.)Julien Ellis Plante-Up (should've been a 2nd or 3rd rdnr)
254.)David Schulz-Down Down Down (never should've been picked, bust before he was even drafted)
287.)Jannik Hansen-Up (probably improved his stock to a 3rd or 4th rounder with his performance in the WHL)

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
92) Rob Bellamy - 7 points in 28 games the year before, 5 points in 13 games so far this season. I tried looking for what type of player he's supposed to be, but haven't found one. Needless to say, his offensive numbers are absolutely brutal. A complete waste of a pick at 92. There were much better players available. Way down the list he goes.

101) Michael "RJ" Anderson - 13 games 0 points at the University of Minnesota so far this year. Compared favorably to Jordan Leopold. He was Minnesota High School Hockey Player of the Year, but hasn't been able to transition his success from High School to the NCAA. Will wait another year to see if he shows any inkling of an offensive game. As of right now, down the list he goes.

124) David Laiberte - Just can't keep healthy. Expected to be a goal scorer throughout his junior hockey career. Right now, it's a bad back that's keeping him out of games. Another player down the list, not because of ability, but because of injury.

144) Chris Zarb - Lanky defenseman (6'4, 185 pounds) currently playing at Ferris State University. 5 points in 13 games. Considered an offensive defenseman. Could use some much needed weight on his frame. Nothing to brag or write home about. Doesn't move up the list, but doesn't move down either.

149) Gino Pisellini - A goon. Nothing more, nothing less. Will chip in with the odd goal here and there. A waste of a pick. Could have probably been signed as an undrafted free agent. Down the list.

170) Ladislav Scurko - A decent hockey player playing in Seattle in the WHL. Had 43 points in his rookie year and played great solid two way hockey. Averaging .8ppg in the WHL. Will probably move to the wing once he starts his pro career. Could surprise everyone and develop into a great checking winger with good two way ability. Up the list he goes.

171) Frederik Cabana - The Darcy Tucker of the QMJHL. A pest on skates. He can really move and really annoy. There is some offense to his game, but consider him more like a Ken Linseman type of player. Not afraid to do some dirty and is willing to back it up. He's gonna be a real good one. A steal of a pick at 171. Definitely moves up the list.

232) Martin Houle - A real feel good story here. A little guy playing nets in the Quebec league. Moved on to the Flyers system and is currently in Philadelphia backing up Jamie Storr. Martin's numbers have been superb so far. In 7 games with the Trenton Titans of the ECHL, he posted a GAA of 2.10 and SP of .935. In 6 games with the Philadelphia Phantoms of the AHL, he posted a GAA of 1.83 and SP of .930. An athletic goalie who plays a butterfly style with some acrobatics and athletics mixed in. Could very much be the goalie of the future in Philadelphia. No need to rush him along. Has definitely improved his stock since his draft day. Up the list he goes.

253) Travis Gawryletz - A potentially huge steal here. Drafted out of the BCJHL, Travis was just beginning to put together an offensive game. Now playing in the NCAA at the University of Minnesota - Duluth, Travis now has enough time to really sharpen his offensive skills. His defensive game will never be questioned. In his freshman year, Travis put up 5 points in 35 games, an average of .143 points per game. In 15 games so far this year, Travis has 5 points again, an average of .334 points per game. Travis also has good size, coming in at 6feet 2inches tall and 200 pounds. He can put some more weight on his frame, probably topping out at about 210, 215 pounds. He's going to be a gamer and there's no rush to move him along. Definitely up the list Travis goes.

286) Triston Grant - Supposedly there's a hockey player underneath that goon exterior somewhere, but someone has to find it first. He's only good at using his fists, that's it. Because he played on a line with Gilbert Brule and scored 20 goals, he's supposed to be a hockey player. I guess the same thing was said about Matthew Barnaby and playing on a line with Alexander Daigle in Victoriaville. We all know what kind of player Barnaby turned out to be. 3 points in 25 games with 54 penalty minutes on the Philadelphia Phantoms hockey club in the AHL. Expect nothing more than a Donald Brashear clone in Grant. Once again, another player who probably could have been signed as an undrafted free agent. Down the list he goes.

291) John Carter - Mr. Irrelevant. Last pick of the draft. Played in the USHL for Des Moines. However, finding any information on where he is now has been next to impossible. I tried doing multiple searches and it's like he disappeared off the face of the ice. Did not hurt the team any by choosing as there was some upside to his game. Not even the Des Moines Buccaneer web page lists any information for John Carter under their Alumni page. I guess he's dropped off the face of the earth.

There are some players who could possibly make the Flyers roster in the future. Out of all the players drafted by the Flyers in 2004, Martin Houle and Freddy Cabana are probably as close to sure fire bets to be Flyers in the future.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
mileflames said:
Tim Ramholt - Down
Ryan Donnally - Down
Tyler Johnson - Up
Thomas Bellemare - Down
Cam Cunning - In 14 games for Omaha has 4 points. Up
Kevin Harvey - Down
Tyler Johnson up? Why? He's currently struggling to put up points as an overager in junior. That's a pretty bad sign. He's definitely not an "up" guy.

What's funny is that this is a thread about 2004 picks and you just listed the 2003 draft for the Flames. haha

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Jon Prescription said:
169 L Jordan Foote - Down. Expectations were pretty big since he was supposed to be a natural shutdown forward with insane speed. Very young, but question marks are definately beginning to rise.

That's not the Jordan Foote I've seen over the last two seasons. He has average footspeed at best, lacks hockey sense, and really has struggled to play the college game. If he has "insane speed", I sure haven't seen it. I don't understand why the coaching staff at Tech likes this kid, he seems like a plug from what I've seen. Unless a major change in his play happens, he is destined for the minors.

Starsdude

Jul 7, 2002
Visit site
Have not seen most but based on rep-
Fistric-stay-at home-last year hurt but solid this year 0
Fransson-Stars thought he can score -hasn't this year--
Sawada-grinder taken too high-
Grossman-hurt in Iowa suprised he is in the states-
Lammers-nice year++
Nasland came to US and is doing pretty well +
Ludwig-regular shift in collegeO
Kukushin-no idea
Vomela no idea
McKnight-leading scorer on his college team+

All in all the idea was to retock the defense-they hoped to get 2 to be NHLers-they still could but not soon

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
SensGuy said:

Kiril Lyamin - 58th overall: Same, maybe down a bit. Couldn't crack the big league team last year because of NHL players, but has made it this year. Hopefully will play at WJC's. Stock has maybe fallen a bit.

I'd say Lyamin has dropped a bit in value. He hasn't played particularly well in the RSL and lost a spot with the big club at one point last year. When you factor in the lack of an agreement with the Russian Hockey Federation, his value has definitely dropped (although not all his fault).

WILDTATE10

Jul 24, 2005
1. AJ Thelen- Down, since his draft he hasnt played the best but he still has teh Potential to be a good NHL offensive Defensmen.

2. Roman Voloshenko- Up, what more do you need to know. He leads all Rookies in the AHL in scoring. Hes improved his biggest Weekeness, his skating which is very important for this New NHL and hes good and has top 2 line potential.

3. Peter Olveckey- slightly up, he almost made the Wild team and is doing OK in the AHL.

4. Clayton Stoner- Up, After a great year in the WHL in wich he was top 10 in D scoring (6th i think) hes nhaveing a pretty good year with the Houston Aeros in the AHL.

5. Ryan Jones- up
6. Patrick Bordeleau - up
7. Julien Sprunger - Down
8. Jean Claude Sawyer - Up
9. Aaron Boogaard - Down
10. Jean-Michel Rizk - Up
11. Anton Khudobin - Up
12. Kyle Wilson - Up

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Malkin: Second best player in the draft, hasn't done anything to lose that
Johannes Salmonsson: Down. Struggling and not scoring.
Alex Goligoski: Up. Was ranked way down by CSB, was one of the top freshmen defensemen in the entire NCAA and made the US WJC team.
Nick Johnson: Up. One of the best if not the best Ivy League freshmen in 04-05.
Brian Gifford: Wait until he starts up at Denver next season
TK: Ehh, his scoring rate is up a bit, but it should be as he gets older. No change.
Sersen: Scores points, but I hear mixed reports about his overall game.
Moises Gutierrez: Took a flyer, doesn't look like he's done anything. Down
Chris Peluso: Wait until he makes collegiate committment
Jordan Morrison: No change
David Brown: Steal at the time, couldn't have had a more abysmal season in 04-05, hasn't improved much this season or so his stats say. Down.
Brian Ihnacak: Well, he's been a top scorer for Brown two years running. I'd say up a tiny bit. I think he's injured right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad