2004 Draft reviews revisited

GNick42

Good draft for Habs. They got four good (Kyle Chipchura, Alexei Yemelin, Mikhail Grabovsky, Mark Streit) ones despite drafting late.

Caged Great

Jan 1, 2007
Calgary
I'm actually pleased with that draft from the Flames standpoint.

Boyd's looking good, Prust should be up next year, Chucko could be seeing some time as well.

All in all, not that bad.

STA

Jul 25, 2006
Vancouver
Toronto Maple Leafs – Justin Pogge was their only selection. He’s an athletic goalie with some upside, but he’s not a sure bet to do anything. Not a great day’s catch.
Grade: D

Vancouver Canucks – Cory Schneider is an unproven goaltender who has never faced any sort of competition. A lot scouts say that he has skating flaws. However he interviews well, so he’s a perfectly good first round selection. Schneider is years and years off if he ever cracks an NHL line up. Boston College is a good program, hopefully four years there will turn him into a player who merits first round acclaim.
Grade: C-

Detroit Red Wings – Their first pick was 97th overall, so there was not a whole lot of room for creativity. Their selection, Johan Franzen is a big Swede who can play along the wing. The Wings hope they have seen the second coming of Tomas Holmstrom, but I’m not sold. The Wings got less out of this draft than anyone, not great for a team that’s getting so long in the tooth.
Grade: D

Zim

Jan 19, 2006
I think Chicago still do well here. Barker is not setting the NHL on fire but he is a steady NHL d-man at 20 years old which isn't bad and he is only going to get better. Bolland after a shaky start in the AHL is now starting to out up points and looks like a great selection in the 2nd round. Bickell has been having problems with motivation but he seems to have the right skill set. I haven't seen Sindel enough to comment on him. With regards to Garlock i don't think they have his rights anymore as they elected not to resign him. Troy Brouwer who was a 7th round pick is tearing it up in the AHL in his rookie year so he looks like a bit of a steal. Dowell and Kontiola also look like solid picks. So maybe A was too high a grade i'd say A-/B+.

Last edited:

DevilsFan38

Apr 21, 2004
Jersey
I like New Jersey's draft. Not much in the way of depth (Eckford and Perkovich could make the NHL someday, but the rest won't), but they drafted Zajac that year so obviously I'm thrilled with that.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
a B is about where I would rate the Canes 04. Asside from Ladd nobody has had an impact yet, but every pick from the first 5 rounds looks like they might be able to do well in the orgnaization.

Pottruff, Fiedler and Vagner probably won't amount to anything with the Canes or in the NHL, same can't be said of the others.

L) Andrew Ladd (1st round, #4) - Good rookie season last year, although not spectacular. This year it took him a while to get going, but in Feburary he started turning things around after fighting through injuries and so far this March he's had 9 points in 10 games including 3 game winning goals. Upside is a Gary Roberts type, I'd say he has a prety good shot at hitting that mark.

G) Justin Peters (2nd round, #38) - Has strugled in Albany, but with the Canes goalie situation resolved for the next season at the least he has plenty of time to round out his game. It will be interesting to see who (Peters, Manzato, Nastiuk, Kowalski and Akerlund) is able to snag the #1 spot in net for Albany next year. He has the upside of being a potential starter but will likely simply be a good backup.

D) Casey Borer (3rd round, #69) - Stay at home defenseman and captain of St Cloud State this past season. He emerged on the scene at the WJC in 05 when he had an excelent game against Russia going head-to-head and more then holding his own against Alexander Ovechkin. He doesn't have the upside to be more then a 2nd pairing shut down defenseman and will likely be a 3rd pairing defenseman... thankfully that's about the extent of his downside as well. He could play as soon as next season although he will likely start the year in Albany.

D) Brett Carson (4th round, #109) - Great skater for a big man and a solid two-way defenseman. Still fairly raw although he's improved greatly in Albany this season from what I've seen. Still a full season or two away (closer to two) from making it in the NHL and likely another couple seasons beyond that before he is an impact top 4 defenseman.

G) Magnus Akerlund (5th round, #137) - Strugled the two years prior and was looking like he might not be worth bringing over to North America with the goaltending depth in the organziation. That was before this year, he's having easily the best year of his career and will likely be brought over to North America for next season. There's an outside chance that he could be a factor in the goaltending descision in Albany, though he likely will be starting the season in the ECHL. Has starter upside, though is likely a #3 option should Ward or Peters falter in the long run and could easily be allowed to play the next few seasons in Europe like Manzato has.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Ignoring #1 and #2 (Ovechkin + Malkin) - the rest of the first round is pretty impressive: Drew Stafford, Alexander Radulov, Andrej Meszaros, Wojtek Wolski, Travis Zajac, Andrew Ladd.

Johan Franzen + Dustin Boyd - good late picks.

All the goalie prospects are still question marks.

Abyss

GO BRUINS
Jun 20, 2005
CT
Cool stuff to look back on, but it's still a couple years too early to figure out who was right and who was wrong.

Finkle is Einhorn

Oct 13, 2003
Visit site
Considering that the Canucks were considered to be on the lower tier of draft day success, I'm very happy with who they took. Schneider is a great goaltending prospect, Edler will be a very good rearguard, and Hansen will be a serviceable NHLer at the least.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Anything after Malkin is just gravy...

Funny how our second rounders are looking. Our "steal" Salmonsson has dropped off the face of the earth while Goligoski was ranked something like 163rd and would most definitely go in the first round if the draft was to be re-done.

Kennedy is one of my favorite prospects, shades of Maxime Talbot it that one.

Brown is up for the Hobey Baker and should be in competition for the WBS starters job next season...can't complain about that for an 8th rounder.

Overall I'd say that was pretty damn good. Malkin alone is good enough to make it a great draft for us.

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
Vancouver Canucks

1st Round 23rd Overall : Cory Schneider

3rd Round 91st Overall : Alexander Edler
4th Round 125th Overall : Andrew Sarauer
5th Round 159th Overall : Mike Brown
6th Round 189th Overall : Julien Ellis

8th Round 254th Overall : David Schulz
9th Round 287th Overall : Jannik Hansen

At the very least two in Edler and Schneider will make it to the NHL. Jannik Hansen will probably get to the NHL at some point in the next season or two, and Ellis might as well, but it will probably take him longer.
Mike Brown might find a role as a 4th liner, but I doubt it since he can barely score at the AHL level.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
The "grading" of the Coyotes is looking pretty comical now.. especially The Forecaster's 'F'.

Out of 10 picks, four have turned pro and Wheeler, Porter, Kolarik, Cormier look good bets to make it 8/10... not bad at all for such a terrible draft class.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Great draft year from the looks so far for the Rangers (the year we had the big firesale and lots of draft picks)

6 G Al Montoya - One of the top goalies in the AHL
19 C Lauri Korpikoski - 20 year old in the AHL having a very good season, looks great on the ice. Great speed and stick handling. Still needs more time in the minors though but has a lot of potential.

36 C Darin Olver - Still new to the AHL after just getting a tryout contract, but reports are he's looking like a player.
48 L Dane Byers - Looks like a good 3/4 line player who can score goals and drop the gloves
51 C Bruce Graham - Looks like a career AHLer to me.
60 C Brandon Dubinsky - Love him, future 2nd line center for us. We got lucky that he ended up growing another 3-4 inches after he was drafted
73 R Zdenek Bahensky - Eh, im not that impressed.
80 C Billy Ryan - Too early, looks decent though in the NCAA, still has another year.
127 R Ryan Callahan - tearing it up in the AHL this season, played a few games in the NHL and is pure energy, hopefully a good 2nd liner for us
135 L Roman Psurny - BUST
169 W Jordan Foote - BUST
247 D Jonathan Paiement - BUST
266 L Jakub Petruzalek - Traded

Last edited:

The Viking Fury

Nov 28, 2005
LOL the second link there has the original poster creaming himself over Pasi Salonen and Guggisberg, two players draft by the caps. I wonder if the caps see things the same way now? As a caps fan, I haven't heard much by way of updates, so I'm not hoping for much

Martyros

Allow me to retort
Aug 13, 2005
Holly Hood
tukonen is no longer looking like the big "robbery" of the draft, but he can always change my mind whenever he gets a role in the NHL regularly. he hasn't shown much in the AHL either so far....

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
tukonen is no longer looking like the big "robbery" of the draft, but he can always change my mind whenever he gets a role in the NHL regularly. he hasn't shown much in the AHL either so far....

Injuries. Just as he was breaking out his 19 year old season in Manchester is when he got that serious shoulder injury. He's got the talent, just needs to stay healthy and put it all together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad