2004 CHL Import Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duff88

May 7, 2002
Who do you think will be the top picks of the 2004 import draft? Who are the best players eligible for this year's draft who plans to come play in the CHL?

David Krejci seems an interesting pick even though he's really small, but other than him, who do you think will be picked.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I personally could see Robert Nilsson being selected.

He just signed for the rest of the year over in Switzerland, but after that I'm not sure what he'll do. I definitely don't think he's ready for NHL action yet, and even the AHL might be a stretch because he's had some developmental problems so far.

I think a year in the CHL would actually do him very well.

Cariboux

Sep 8, 2003
Rimouski
Visit site
A Team like Rimouski could draft him since we already got 2 euros. If he came to NA, then we trade Hrdel and if he don't came, we trade hrdel for an euro :p

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
Actually, the London Knights only have one Euro on their roster after trading Karaga. I can only imagine how good they'd be with Nilsson... *drools*

(Obviously I'm being unrealistic, but the last time I was unrealistic it was about Schremp getting traded to London, and that ended up happening!)

RyanM

May 2, 2002
Sydney
Cariboux said:
A Team like Rimouski could draft him since we already got 2 euros. If he came to NA, then we trade Hrdel and if he don't came, we trade hrdel for an euro :p

Rimouski would have to release 1 of them to draft someone else

czechhockeyfan

Mar 8, 2003
Czech republic
Visit site
Duff88 said:
Who do you think will be the top picks of the 2004 import draft? Who are the best players eligible for this year's draft who plans to come play in the CHL?

David Krejci seems an interesting pick even though he's really small, but other than him, who do you think will be picked.

Nice to know someone in N.A. know him. Little bit undersized but very smart player. I like his play so much.

Hitman*

Hopefully Robert will pull a Freddy Sjostrom and come to Calgary. Troliga will be gone for next season and maybe Robbie will want to play where his dad did.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Douggy said:
Actually, the London Knights only have one Euro on their roster after trading Karaga. I can only imagine how good they'd be with Nilsson... *drools*

(Obviously I'm being unrealistic, but the last time I was unrealistic it was about Schremp getting traded to London, and that ended up happening!)

Robert Nilsson born in Calgary, Canada in 1985.. while his dad played for the Flames

... If so he would not be considered a Euro Player... I don't think ... Maybe for the Import draft but not as a Euro player on a Roster ... I don't know Tough Call..

goteam

Dec 16, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
Saskatoon will very likely have the first pick in the draft and the past two imports they have taken are Marcus Pahlsson and Bjorn Svensson---two Swedes. General Manager Brent McEwan spent a great deal of time working for Swedesh hockey teams in the late 1980s and so he would have tremendous connections in that country. Last year rumours were constantly circulating that the Blades would, in fact, take Robert Nilsson but they opted not to. But with the worst recod in the CHL by a long shot the Blades will get a very talented Euro with the first pick.

Dr_Chimera*

The Messenger said:
Robert Nilsson born in Calgary, Canada in 1985.. while his dad played for the Flames

... If so he would not be considered a Euro Player... I don't think ... Maybe for the Import draft but not as a Euro player on a Roster ... I don't know Tough Call..

No, he's a Swede. It's not an issue of the place of birth.

BCCHL inactive

Dr_Chimera said:
No, he's a Swede. It's not an issue of the place of birth.

It's not necessarily that either. He could still be a Swede and not be a CHL Import...if he had have played through the Canadian hockey system. Nilsson is a player in a European league, therefore he would take up an import spot on a CHL team.

It's about where he was registered as a player before playing in the CHL.

Van said:
It's not necessarily that either. He could still be a Swede and not be a CHL Import...if he had have played through the Canadian hockey system. Nilsson is a player in a European league, therefore he would take up an import spot on a CHL team.

So since Alexander Steen played his minor hockey in Canada up till age 14, would he still be considered an import?

BCCHL inactive

Doomsday Device said:
So since Alexander Steen played his minor hockey in Canada up till age 14, would he still be considered an import?

He is currently playing in Frolunda, so yes, he would be an import.

The only way he would not be an import, is if he never went to Sweden.

BCCHL inactive

Predatore said:
If SEL team MIF Redhawks gets relegated I could see the most explosive(?) player in Sweden opt in - Carl Söderberg.

Just to make a slight "correction" (for lack of a better term), there is no "opting in" for the CHL Import Draft. Any junior-aged player is eligible.

Most European players drafted into the CHL have an agreement in place to play for a specific team before the draft actually takes place.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Van,
With opting in I basically meant "make yourself available", little point hoping to get drafted by a CHL team if no team knows that you are willing to play in NA :)

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
Van said:

Incorrect.

I asked this question to the CHL a couple of years ago, and was told that import status is dependent upon the habitual place of residence of the player's parents, and which parent has custody of the player. If both parents live in Europe, then the player is subject to the import draft, regardless of where he was actually registered to play hockey (e.g., Klesla played in the USHL but came to Brampton through the import draft).

SO... If the parents have joint custody and one of them lives in North America, then the player playing in Europe would be eligible for the regular junior draft (provided he is put on the draft list by Central Scouting).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad