2004/05 Season? The decision is yours!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HFNHL Red Wings

Due to challenges encountered we currently find ourselves looking at a 2004/05 season that would not start until April at the earliest and there is a serious question at hand. Do we hold a 2004/05 season in any form or focus efforts of making sure the 2005/06 season is ready promptly?

The admin team is divided on the subject itself but on a matter this significant it is really up to all of as as GM's and AGM's to decide if we are committed enough to salvage a 2004/05 season. The Admin team will make it's committment to the time required but the question is whether a sufficient number of GM's can make the same commitment.

Given that any season would need to be abbreviated or extremely accelerated there are some issues that arise.
(i) Key dates in the season would come and go quickly and as a result team management (budgets, trades, etc.) would be very compressed.
(ii) Line management due to injuries would require close attention.
(iii) Season and playoffs going well into the summer (ie GM's on vacation).

When responding to this poll we request that you seriously consider whether, given the aforementioned challenges, you are willing as a GM to actively manage your team. Leaving things such as injuries unattended cannot be acceptable given the tight schedule.

A poll has been opened (link below) for you to cast your votes.
Also please only one response per team. If there is an AGM discuss it with them and place only 1 vote per team.

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/hfnhl/surveys?id=1712875

This poll will remain open until Friday and any non-responses will be considered disinterest.

HFNHL Red Wings

Please vote guys. At time of this response I see 38 views on this thread and only 14 have voted?!

HFNHL Red Wings

Well with 13 votes against the plug is pulled.

We are currently discussing some impacts of not having a 2004/05 season and are trying to finalize a schedule for upcoming events. A couple of things that have been agreed upon and can be passed along are as follows:

1. Contracts will be extended for one year (ie no UFA's this summer aside from eligible College players and other unsigned players or released prospects)
2. Since we just held a waiver draft without an actual season there will not be another waiver draft before the start of the 05/06 season.
3. Any discussion of draft order is being delayed until at least May to see if there's any news on how the NHL is going to proceed or if there will even be a draft.

I'm not sure if Dion has contacted anyone but if any of you can act as a Sim Manager back-up to Dion this would accelarate the process of getting things back opn track.

Tampa GM

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site
Is the voting period over? I have been gone for a week and missed the voting. I would prefer to play 04/05 season.

HFNHL Red Wings

Ville Isopää said:
What about endoresment deals? I'm mostly thinking of the Mountain Dew. Will we still get the cash for it, as it isn't bound to the HFNHL-season anyways?

I'm afraid all endorsement deals are cancelled. While I recognize the Mountain Dew award is not applicable to the HFNHL season it is not reasonable to have everyone else who had a reasonable chance of hitting their other endorsements (had a season occurred) get nothing and still give out money to those that went in for the Mountain Dew.

HFNHL Red Wings

Tampa GM said:
Is the voting period over? I have been gone for a week and missed the voting. I would prefer to play 04/05 season.

It is closed. There were 15 votes against running a season and to be honest we would have needed something like 70+% of GM's to support a season to make it work.

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
HFNHL Red Wings said:
I'm afraid all endorsement deals are cancelled. While I recognize the Mountain Dew award is not applicable to the HFNHL season it is not reasonable to have everyone else who had a reasonable chance of hitting their other endorsements (had a season occurred) get nothing and still give out money to those that went in for the Mountain Dew.

That really sucks, as I spent a couple of picks in the last draft on players that have little or no future in the NHL, but would make the MD award. One of them actually made it, Andre Benoit. Others like Chad Klassen didn't make it. The bottom line is that those picks were now pretty much canceled.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Ville Isopää said:
That really sucks, as I spent a couple of picks in the last draft on players that have little or no future in the NHL, but would make the MD award. One of them actually made it, Andre Benoit. Others like Chad Klassen didn't make it. The bottom line is that those picks were now pretty much canceled.

I hear what you're saying, VIlle. I'm sure almost every team has some decisions they made for this year based on the assumption that there would be hockey. I know for sure the NHL teams all have GMs, player development types, etc. wishing there had been a season. But them's the breaks.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
I think it's a good decision to cancel this season and start on a much better footing next season. However, let's not not so seperated from the HFNHL from all this time off that we end up folding next season, too. Hopefully we all come back ready for the best season the league's had to date.

Mike
LA Kings

HFNHL Red Wings

Dryden said:
Now that the NHL has cancelled the draft does that mean we do to?

The NHL draft has only been postponed, it was only the formal draft venue in Ottawa that has been cancelled. The NHL continues to state that they will hold a draft before any season begins and it will probably be by teleconference instead of a formal event.

BTW Dryden, on the subject of getting things back up and running, are you still working on a new HFNHL webpage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad