2003 NHL draft late round steals/gems

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Good Flying Bird*

ShyCheetah said:
If my memory isn't too faulty I believe the deal with Bure was that the scounts weren't sure he'd be able to come over any time soon. He was their golden boy and one of the only stars left. Durring his draft year the number of games he played in Junior dictated he had to be taken in the first (3? or 2?) rounds. The Canucks took him in the 6th and alot of GM's called foul (stories came out later that some other GM's were going to try drafting him later on and the Nucks scouped them). That summer Quinn sent Larionov back to Russia with a suit case full of money to investigate and found a couple of line up cards that legalized the pick. The rest his history. Shy.

Wow. Interesting story.

Avery4Byng*

Nashville got Shea Weber from Kelowna of the WHL in I think the 2nd or 3rd round. He is having a great year and is showing huuuge improvment. if this was his draft year he would be a first rounder just shows you how hard he has worked and how much better he is.

SuburbanRhythm

WorldClassJagoff
May 6, 2002
Pittsburgh
Visit site
Didn't see Paul Bissonnette, Pittsburgh 4th round, mentioned. Was a late cut in the Penguins camp this year, at 18 years old...maybe not saying a whole lot considering the Pens D though. :dunno:

Still, viewed as potential captain material down the road...don't hear that about 18 year olds too often.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
From a Sabres perspective I liked getting Denis Ezhov in the 4th round, Thomas Morrow looks be a decent pick in the 5th round, and L-P Martin was a really nice pick in the 9th round. RLR had Martin rated 153rd and the Sabres got him at 266. At a minimum that's good value for the pick.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
ShyCheetah said:
If my memory isn't too faulty I believe the deal with Bure was that the scounts weren't sure he'd be able to come over any time soon. He was their golden boy and one of the only stars left. Durring his draft year the number of games he played in Junior dictated he had to be taken in the first (3? or 2?) rounds. The Canucks took him in the 6th and alot of GM's called foul (stories came out later that some other GM's were going to try drafting him later on and the Nucks scouped them). That summer Quinn sent Larionov back to Russia with a suit case full of money to investigate and found a couple of line up cards that legalized the pick. The rest his history. Shy.

Yeah, this is correct. Apparently when Pat Quinn announced Bure as a Canuck draft pick the Red Wings GM jumped up and shouted "**** YOU!"

The pick wasn't announcd as legal until the day before the draft the following year. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->