2003 NHL draft late round steals/gems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm sure this has been covered before on this board, but I was wondering if any opinions have changed. Anyone have any opinions on late round steals from the 2003 draft? I've heard all the regular names like Gervais, Brodziak and a few others. I'm looking for some others that might not be as well known but could turn out to be real good picks.

fighterflea1*

Kritty said:
I'm sure this has been covered before on this board, but I was wondering if any opinions have changed. Anyone have any opinions on late round steals from the 2003 draft? I've heard all the regular names like Gervais, Brodziak and a few others. I'm looking for some others that might not be as well known but could turn out to be real good picks.

Not a late rounder but the Flyers 3d round pick Stefan Ruzicka is leading rookies in the OHL in goals, or was.

Sabes

Feb 27, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
Rejean Beauchemin drafted by Philly in the 6th round 191st overall. Is leading the WHL in wins and is 3rd in GAA with 2.19 and is tied for 5th in Save% with .917.

Last edited:

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
I can't remember if it was 03 or 02, but John Hecimovic seams to be a late round gem.

Also, Pat Bergeron is awesome. He should've gone in the first round.

Ivan Khomutov, picked by NJ is a good player too.

pavel13

Aug 15, 2003
Visit site
Vladimir Kutny picked by Detroit in the 8th round - huge sleeper pick. Apparently he was a first-rounder before he came to the Q, but got limited ice time and his stock fell dramatically. He is playing on the first line now, and is scoring a lot more (or at least that's what I heard).

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
pavel13 said:
Vladimir Kutny picked by Detroit in the 8th round - huge sleeper pick. Apparently he was a first-rounder before he came to the Q, but got limited ice time and his stock fell dramatically. He is playing on the first line now, and is scoring a lot more (or at least that's what I heard).

By a lot more do you mean 5 goals in 29 games???

He is still stinkin the place up. He has talents, but he just hasnt been able to put it all together.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
ShyCheetah said:
With the ascention of King to the NHL, Van is continuing its tradition of finding late round gems. The two that are most likely to contiune that trend are Swedens Nicklas Danielson (160th last year) and Russion (7th 223 in '02) Illya Krukunov. Both will be at the WJC's I believe. Shy.

http://www.russianprospects.com/public/profile.php?player_id=224

Dont forget FP Guenette 7th round 2003, and Reid 7th rd 2000.

pavel13

Aug 15, 2003
Visit site
La-La-Laprise said:
By a lot more do you mean 5 goals in 29 games???

He is still stinkin the place up. He has talents, but he just hasnt been able to put it all together.
Well, I thought he was doing a lot better. Like I said, this is what I heard, and is not first-hand information, and I didn't verify it. I really thought he was doing better, though.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
La-La-Laprise said:
Dont forget FP Guenette 7th round 2003, and Reid 7th rd 2000.

I was wondering about Guenette. Saw him in the ReMax challenge and was fairly impressed. Any info on him? Style of play, future, etc.? I was also wondering about Zbynek Hrdel. From what I've read and heard he has some real nice talent but hasn't done a whole lot yet. Any info on him? I'm not up to date on many Q league players.

DutchLeafsfan

Jun 3, 2002
Rotterdam, NL
www.gamer.nl
Jeremy Williams (Leafs, 7th round) is currently leading the WHL in scoring, together with Wings pick Thomas Fleischman. Williams has played one game less though. He also is on a 13 game goals streak and won this month's WHL player of the month award.

Konstantin Volkov (4th round) lit up the Russian Upper league so much (9-8-17 in 12 gameS) at age 18 that Lada Togliatti form the RSL bought out Volkov's Dynamo contract, meaning he should see RSL action soon.

Last edited:

leafaholix*

Martin Sagat
Currently on pace to put up a point a game in his first season in the WHL playing alongside New York Rangers prospect, Nigel Dawes. He'll be playing for Slovakia in the upcoming WJC. He's got great size (6'4), and is projected to be a Nikolai Antropov type player.

fullmetalninja

Jan 11, 2003
Chicago
The hawks had two real nice later picks:

Lasse Kukkonen- IMO was one of the better hawk players, but sutter felt he was too inconsistant and needed a year of "20 minutes a night".... Of course he was an overager...

Dustin Byfuglien- Big Bubba. IF this kid wants it at all- he's an NHL player. Was real good in the prospect camp. Plays Wing or D in Jr, although the hawks think he will be "d" only. Everyone said he was so overweight, and while he wasn't in shape like a NHL athelete, he was chunky either. He's just a big, wide body. Again, who knows if he has the drive to make it- and that's the reason he was drafted so late.

I haven't seen A. Ivanov play much(5th rounder) but Lesuk and Smith seemed to think he was a steal. Considering they thought the same way about Radulov and Kojevnikov i'll give em the benefit of the doubt.

-fullmetalninja

thestonedkoala

Wild had some fine picks in the later rounds (O'Sullivan doesn't count, he was still early round)

6th Round Pick- Miroslav Kopriva- This guy is doing extremely well in his junior league but it remains to be seen on if he can hold up in the super leagues. But as of right now, the only goalie on his team and a good GAA and save %.

7th Round Pick- Adam Couchraine a bit undersize for my taste but he's doing fine on his team. 17 goals, 19 assists, 36 points and 20 PIMs. Couldn't ask for anything more from a late round pick.

9th Round Pick- Jean-Michel Bolduc- yes he had some issues with coaches and team which made him drop like a rock but he played well at the Traverse Prospect camp and has 4 goals, 19 assists, 23 points, and 64 PIMs. He is also a +9 and I think he'll done fine on the Wild, which are short on defensemen too.

Kev88

Co-Founder of LaPasserelle
Nov 30, 2003
Canada
www.lapasserellehockey.com
In 2003, The steals were Louis-Philippe Martin and COREY LOCKE! For Locke, look Pavel Bure have been drafted in the 6th round (I don't compare Corey Locke and Pavel Bure :p ) but, it just show that most of the offensive talent are late in drafts, cause the small players with tremendous talent are stuck there. :D

I think the biggest steal of the 2002 draft was Korneev. He've been drafted in the 9th round and he had the talent to be part of the first. The only problem is his size (He's 5"11, it's not the end of the world :madfire: )! I"ll be :lol: when the other teams see him being a real offensive terror.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad