2003 draft team-by-team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firewagon

Jan 26, 2006
I think the Flyers got the most out of that amazing pool.
What are your thoughts?

Potulny's signing prompted me to go back and look at where he was drafted.
The Flyers took him in the 3rd round of 03,
but only after they chose Carter, Richards, Colin Fraser, Ruzicka, and Alex Picard (the Dman).

Anaheim took Getzlaf and Perry, but no one of significance after that.

Florida: Horton, Stewart, Kreps, Meyer.

Minnesota: Burns, O'Sullivan

Boston: Mark Stuart, Bergeron,

Columbus: Zherdev, Fritche

LA: Tambellini, Boyle, Pushkarev

SJ: Bernier, Carle,

Nashville: Suter, Weber, Glazachev, Klein

Carolina: Staal, Richmond

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Ottawa: Patrick Eaves, Igor Mirnov, Phillipe Seydoux, Brian Elliott

Those are the people I think could make the NHL for us. Eaves is already there, Elliott is up for the Hobey Baker, Mirnov can score, and Seydoux could be a depth defenseman.

JSmith81x

Your weapon is guilt
Dec 20, 2002
Visit site
Mike Smith's last Draft w/ the Blackhawks ...
014 - RD Brent Seabrook
052 - G Corey Crawford
059 - LD Michal Barinka
151 - LD Lasse Kukkonen
156 - C Aleksei Ivanov
181 - C Johan Andersson
211 - G Mike Brodeur
245 - RD Dustin Byfuglien
275 - LD Michael Grenzy
282 - LW Chris Porter

Seabrook, Crawford, Barinka, Kukkonen, and Byfuglien have already played in the NHL (Seabrook after just 9 AHL games last season), and one of Barinka/Byfuglien could be a perma-Hawk next season. Crawford'll be an NHLer, but he needs more AHL time. Kukkonen ... I liked him, but Brian Sutter didn't, and so Kukkonen went back to Finland. Who knows if he'll be back.

Ivanov has since been let go, and the others are longshots at best (w/ Brodeur having the best chance, I suppose). Pretty good for not having a 3rd or 4th rd pick.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Sharks made out extremely well that year:

Milan Michalek LW (6th overall) - Workhorse with amazing speed, two-way and puckhandling abilities. He was custom-made for Marleau. Expect big things from them and...

Steve Bernier RW (16th overall) - Old scouting reports be damned. This guy is not lazy or a weak skater. Has that "take over games" potential.

Josh Hennessy C (43rd overall) - Speedster leading a weak Barons team and one of the top rookies in the AHL.

Matt Carle D (47th overall) - Just named to the Hobey Baker Hattrick. Monster collegiate career that includes back-to-back national championships. Abilities not unlike Jordan Leopold.

Patrick Ehelechner G (139th overall) - Eh, not that much to work with...not even the best German goalie prospect in the Sharks system. Had a somewhat successful junior career but I think mainly due to be a right-handed catching goaltender. Tops out as a subpar NHL backup.

Jonathan Tremblay RW (201st overall) - Waste of a pick and space.

Joe Pavelski C (205th overall) - Badgers' leading scorer. Great set of hands but subpar skating. Might make for a decent NHLer though.

Kai Hospelt RW (216th) - Obligatory German pick. 4th line minutes in Cologne where he gets to watch Greiss dazzle and eventually play for the team that drafted him.

Alexander Hult (236th overall) - :dunno: about sums him up.

Brian O'Hanley D (267th overall) and Carter Lee RW (276th overall) - Typical Shark picks in the late rounds. Unknown prep school risers from the New England area. AHL fodder.

They hit on all their early picks and seem to have a hidden gem in Pavelski. None to shabby.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Patty Ice said:
Sharks made out extremely well that year:

Milan Michalek LW (6th overall) - Workhorse with amazing speed, two-way and puckhandling abilities. He was custom-made for Marleau. Expect big things from them and...

Steve Bernier RW (16th overall) - Old scouting reports be damned. This guy is not lazy or a weak skater. Has that "take over games" potential.

Josh Hennessy C (43rd overall) - Speedster leading a weak Barons team and one of the top rookies in the AHL.

Matt Carle D (47th overall) - Just named to the Hobey Baker Hattrick. Monster collegiate career that includes back-to-back national championships. Abilities not unlike Jordan Leopold.

Patrick Ehelechner G (139th overall) - Eh, not that much to work with...not even the best German goalie prospect in the Sharks system. Had a somewhat successful junior career but I think mainly due to be a right-handed catching goaltender. Tops out as a subpar NHL backup.

Jonathan Tremblay RW (201st overall) - Waste of a pick and space.

Joe Pavelski C (205th overall) - Badgers' leading scorer. Great set of hands but subpar skating. Might make for a decent NHLer though.

Kai Hospelt RW (216th) - Obligatory German pick. 4th line minutes in Cologne where he gets to watch Greiss dazzle and eventually play for the team that drafted him.

Alexander Hult (236th overall) - :dunno: about sums him up.

Brian O'Hanley D (267th overall) and Carter Lee RW (276th overall) - Typical Shark picks in the late rounds. Unknown prep school risers from the New England area. AHL fodder.

They hit on all their early picks and seem to have a hidden gem in Pavelski. None to shabby.

you beat me to it Patty. Saying that Carle and Bernier are teh only picks of value for SJ that year is vastly understating how well this draft could pan out for us. Carle, Bernier, and Michalek give us 3 bonafide NHLers from that draft, plus add in guys like Hennessey and Pavelski who are possible NHLers or at least good AHLers and I'd probably put us in a small logjam just behind Philly in terms of success that year.

Belizarius

Sep 17, 2003
Southern France
www.passionhockey.com
Quiet draft for the Devils :
17 C Zach Parise NHL
42 C Petr Vrana 1st season AHL
93 C Ivan Khomutov 2nd season AHL
167 Zach Tarkir 3rd season NCAA, good progresses
197 G Jason Smith One of the best NCAA goalie this season, darkhorse
261 C Joey Tenute Signed with WSH and made his NHL debut, AHL scorer
292 Arseny Bondarev Who knows... 2nd liner in Russian 2nd level team, we'll see...

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
Montreal:

10-Andrei Kostitsyn: He's starting to become a good one...was great in Montreal this year and he will most likely be a in Montreal for good as soon as next year.

40-Cory Urquhart: He's a bust...pretty bad pick when you look at it today

61-Maxim Lapierre: He's a sure bet...will be a pest in the NHL sooner rather then later...great 3rd/4th line player with offensive upside

79-Ryan O'Byrne: One of the top defenceman of Cornell, he's big, fast and have a good shot...still far away, but might be a good steady defenceman

113-Corey Locke: With the skills he has, he's a great gamble...boom or bust because of his size, but if he makes it, he will be huge!

123-Danny Stewart: He's a bust, bad pick!

177-Chris Heino-Linberg: Pretty good pick, he might be a good one someday...he need more playing time but the skills are there.

188-Mark Flood: Not a bad pick, but he's not with us anymore

217-Oskari Korpikari: Stay at home defenceman, good first pass, but not much offence from him. Might be a good bottom pairing defenceman but he's a stretch at this point.

241-Jimmy Bonneau: Witht the new NHL, I think it's safe to say that this goon will be a career minor league player...

271-Jaroslav Halak: Might be the next Vokoun...he's playing great in the AHL. A steal for a 9th rounder

So bottom line, it was a good draft for the Habs with 7 players who could help the team one day...

But obviously, it could have been better...

Abyss

GO BRUINS
Jun 20, 2005
CT
Its too soon to tell who has the best prospects from that draft so far, but I'd be inclined to take Nashville's or San Jose's guys.

jb**

Abyss said:
Its too soon to tell who has the best prospects from that draft so far, but I'd be inclined to take Nashville's or San Jose's guys.
Flyers have done very well:
Carter, Richards, Potulny, Ruzica, Alex Picard will all be in the NHL and Rejean Beachauen(sp) very possible. They also draft an obscure finnish goalie as well.
Traded Colin Fraser and Rich Kozak. Fraser I think will make it not sure about Kozak

6 or more players they drafted will make it, not to shabby.

El_Scoobo

Aug 18, 2004
Your Imagination
Abyss said:

I think its been long enough to say that it looks like it will turn out to be a well above average draft.

Lots of very good talent. I didn't understand the Jessiman pick on that day and I don't understand it know. Boy, look at all of the guys chosen behind him who look to have brighter futures.

edit---don't forget that Calgary got Phaneuf in this draft. That guy is going to be an anchor for years to come.

Rise from the Ashes

Price defies corsi
Sep 13, 2005
Pointe-Claire, QC
Nashville... stole 3 dmen that will be on their team soon.

the Habs had a bad draft, but in 2005 they had a good one.

1st round: Carey Price

2nd round: Guillaume Latendresse

4th round: Juraj Mikus

5th round: Mathieu Aubin

6th round: Matt D'agostini

7th round: Sergei Kostitsyn and Philippe Paquet

jlockhart89

Humboldt Strong
Jul 16, 2004
Humboldt, SK
Richard_Zednik said:
Nashville... stole 3 dmen that will be on their team soon.

the Habs had a bad draft, but in 2005 they had a good one.

1st round: Carey Price

2nd round: Guillaume Latendresse

4th round: Juraj Mikus

5th round: Mathieu Aubin

6th round: Matt D'agostini

7th round: Sergei Kostitsyn and Philippe Paquet
then again we're not talking about 2005 are we? :D

Abyss

GO BRUINS
Jun 20, 2005
CT
El_Scoobo said:
I think its been long enough to say that it looks like it will turn out to be a well above average draft.

Lots of very good talent. I didn't understand the Jessiman pick on that day and I don't understand it know. Boy, look at all of the guys chosen behind him who look to have brighter futures.

edit---don't forget that Calgary got Phaneuf in this draft. That guy is going to be an anchor for years to come.

well no doubt it is a very very deep draft and well above average, i'm just saying its too soon to tell which 2nd, 3rd, 4th round guys are actually steals..

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
It's really too early to tell since PITTSBURGH has only 1 prospect in the NHL right now. But 2003 looks like a pretty good year with several more promising players on their way.

1- Marc-Andre Fleury
Starting goalie in the NHL at age 21, although he still has to work on some aspects of his game. Was drafted to become our franchise goalie and is on his way to get there.

32 - Ryan Stone
Physical, two-way center. Is having a solid rookie season in the AHL (33 points in 66 games). Does everything well but nothing great. Has the potential to become a 3rd line center in the NHL but will need 1-2 more years with the Baby Pens.

70 - Jonathan Filewich
Tall right winger drafted out of the WHL where he put up 42 goals in 68 games in his final year. Now in his rookie season with Wilkes-Barre with 21 goals and 35 points. Needs more seasoning, but could become a 3rd line forward with the big club.

73 - Daniel Carcillo
Loose cannon forward whose physical play and emotion are both his biggest pros and cons. If he can learn to restrain himself, he could become an Avery-type agitator. If not, he might end up a nutcase a la Billy Tibbetts. Had 21 points and 242 PIM in 42 games in his AHL rookie season until a knee injury sidelined him until last weekend.

121 - Paul Bissonnette
Big stay-at-home defender out of the OHL. Has split his rookie season between Wilkes-Barre and Wheeling (ECHL) so far. Two years ago he impressed the Pens staff so much at training camp that he almost made the team but now he'll take a few more years.

161 - Evgeny Isakov
Russian winger who hasn't come through in the RSL and now plays in the 2nd tier league in Russia. Looks like a bust.

169 - Lukas Bolf
Czech defenseman who played 2 seasons in the OHL before returning home to play this season. Doesn't seem to get much icetime in the Extraleague. With the glut of defensive prospects in our system, he might get pushed out of our plans.

199 - Andy Chiodo
Emotional but flawed goalie who has enjoyed great playoff runs with Wilkes-Barre and played 8 games for Pittsburgh in 03-04. Was pushed down to Wheeling this season but since Fleury's promotion he is back in the AHL and plays backup to Sabourin. Can become a 3rd goalie or sub-standard backup at the NHL level.

229 - Stephen Dixon
Two-way center from the Q and yet another AHL rookie this season. Plays mostly 3rd and 4th line in Wilkes-Barre and put up 25 points so far. Needs more seasoning but in a few years him, Stone and Talbot will likely battle it out for the 3rd and 4th center spots in Pittsburgh.

232 - Joe Jensen
Hard-working left wing from St. Cloud State where he was captain in his senior season. Plays a good all-round game, but lacks size and top-end talent, we'll see if he gets a contract offer this summer.

263 - Matt Moulson
Another left winger, a multiple all-star at the NCAA level, captain and top scorer of Cornell. Has good size, good hands, is great on powerplays and plays a two-way game. Should be offered a contract this summer. If he can translate his college game to the pros, he'll be a huge steal for the Pens.

Bookman

Feb 27, 2002
frozen north
Visit site
The Wild got Burns, O'Sullivan, and Danny Irmen in the 3rd round, who was Potulny's linemate at the U. He's going to be a good addition to the Wild soon as well.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Avs with no first because of the Blake trade:

63 D Dave Liffiton: Traded to the Rags for Barnaby at the deadline with the wolfpack now.

131 W David Svagrovsky: In the system, but looks like a career minor leaguer

146 F Mark McCutcheon: At Cornell now and onlly found the net this year as a junior. Looks like a dud.

163 C Brad Richardson: Improved his stock last year in the juniors. With the Avs now and has played well looks like a steal

204 R Linus Videll: Still in Sweden and scoring is nonexistant looks like a dud

225 F Brett Hemingway: A Junior at New Hampshire. Putting up good offencive numbers Could go either way

257 L Darryl Yacboski: In the WHL as an overager. Probably nothing will come of him

288 R David Jones: Stock took a huge this year. Big, has wheels and skill. With power foward type project such as Davey it's nice the Avs can keep him stashed at Dartmouth another two years.

For not having a first not a bad draft. One player already iin the NHL and three guys still on the nhl radar.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Nothing fancy, but I'm very happy with the first three picks by Detroit all playing well their rookie year with the Griffins.

64 G Jim Howard - has been on an absolute tear 20-2-1 in his last 23 games. Will be Detroit's starter in another year or two.
132 D Kyle Quincey - Solid two-way play with a big frame and sound defensively. Should be a decent steady 2nd pairing guy down the road.
164 C Ryan Oulahen - tenacious good skater/defensive forward. See Kris Draper.

The Wings have had to dig deep for prospects, but they can usually come up with one good one every year since Holland took over.

EDIT - Just as an aside. Don't take this as one of the typical "my team had the best draft!!11" posts. The only guy that stands a chance of being a game-breaker is Howard, but any goalie can turn into one. The others stand a chance of being role players. I just like that the three stand a more than even chance of being effective NHLers. That's good in the middle to later rounds.

Last edited:

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Flames 2003 doesn't really look very good outside of Phaneuf unless Ramholt ends up panning out.

9 D Dion Phaneuf
39 D Tim Ramholt
97 L Ryan Donally
112 C Jamie Tardif
143 F Greg Moore
173 C Tyler Johnson
206 R Thomas Bellemare
240 L Cam Cunning
270 L Kevin Harvey

Donally has put up nothing for numbers. Guess he still has a remote chance of turning into a big 4th line grinder. Tardif wasn't signed, he's having a good overage year with Peterborough but when I saw him in camp he never blew me away. Moore seems to be on track but was dealt in the Simon trade with NYR. Johnson doesn't look like anything to me. Cunning still has an outside chance IMO. Harvey's a bust.

In retrospect it looks like the Flames should have kept their other 2nd rounder instead of dealing it for a 3rd, 4th 5th (Donally, Tardif and Moore) and used it to grab a guy like Weber :) gotta love that 20/20 hindsight. Imagine getting Phaneuf, Bergeron (instead of Ramholt) and Weber, sigh, that would have been nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad