2003-2005 Mixed Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flamesfaithful

Sep 22, 2004
Hearing lots of stuff in terms of how everybody in 2005 stacks up against each other and the consensus seems to be that Crosby Brule Johnson Pouliot and Ryan could very likely be a top five in the eventual 2005 draft class. I'm just wondering how these guys look in the grander scheme of things- outside their draft class, like if those five players were mixed into the 2003 draft, how do you think they would fare? Would Crosby be the only one to potentially crack that unbelievable top ten of 2003? If I could get please get some top 15 or so lists of a 2003/2005 combined draft? Thanks.

Sykie

Feb 28, 2002
Geneva
snhl.free.fr
He would have gone first overall.

Jack Johnsson would have cracked the top-ten too.

Guys like Brule or Ryan *could* have been in the top-ten... depending of the situation with teams. Nothing granted.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'll throw out a top ten

1. Crosby
2. Ovechkin
3. Staal
4. Malkin
5. Zherdev
6. Phaneuf
7. Horton
8. Marc-Andre Fleury
9. Johnson
10. Vanek

Blue Bullet

Feb 27, 2002
Bon Accord, AB
Visit site
I am just going by their draft year.

Crosby would have went 1st.

I think Johnson would have went top 10 and would have been the first d-man picked so he would have went 5-7 after the big 4.

Brule would go anywhere from 5-10.

Pouliot has had a similar draft year in a lot of ways to Jeff Carter so I would say he would go in the 10-15 range.

Ryan is similar to Bernier and would have probably gone around the same time (Bernier was picked 16th).

Flamesfaithful

Sep 22, 2004
SmokeyClause said:
Are we to factor in post draft performances or just as they were going into their draft year? Do we look at Phaneuf pre-Draft or do we look at him post draft?

Good question. Let's say not factoring in the development of the 2003's since their draft, since that would just complicate matters- say pouliot, ryan, brule and johnson were two years younger and available on the day of the 2003 draft, where do you take them? thanks for the reply's so far guys :)

Thornton97

Nov 18, 2004
Carrollton, TX
Looking at 03-05 based on draft day only, I'd have something like this:

1)Crosby
2)Staal
3)Horton
4)Zherdev
5)Johnson
6)MA Fleury
7)Vanek
8)Suter
9)Coburn
10)Brule

Kind of difficult thinking back a few seasons and thinking about who I would have chosen if I had just a large draft list and no knowledge since. Doing it this way ensures that Phaneuf is not on the list, among others...fun idea. Partially just have to base it off the "hype meter."

Last edited:

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Thornton97 said:
Looking at 03-05 based on draft day only, I'd have something like this:

1)Crosby
2)Ovechkin
3)Staal
4)Malkin
5)Horton
6)Zherdev
7)Johnson
8)Fleury
9)Vanek
10)Brule

Kind of difficult thinking back a few seasons and thinking about who I would have chosen if I had just a large draft list and no knowledge since. Doing it this way ensures that Phaneuf is not on the list, among others...fun idea. Partially just have to base it off the "hype meter."

So the 04's are in too?

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
jcpenny said:
Ovechkin should be #1. The next NHL superstar by far and not Crosby.
Well. At least Ovechkin has showed he's not a lyibility when playing against men. Crosby is still a wild card until he's played against men.

SpezNc2

Mar 3, 2002
mattihp said:
Well. At least Ovechkin has showed he's not a lyibility when playing against men. Crosby is still a wild card until he's played against men.

Ovechkin can still be a better pro than Sidney Crosby... And he is a wonderful alhlele.. But I think that he lose some points in the last WJC.... His poor leadership reveal something...

But he is yound and he is still learning... Even if Crosby is younger and never play against man...

and think that Crosby is more complete and he may have a quicker impact in the NHL than Ovechkin....

But I may be wrong.. All of us are just speculating..

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
SpezNc said:
Ovechkin can still be a better pro than Sidney Crosby... And he is a wonderful alhlele.. But I think that he lose some points in the last WJC.... His poor leadership reveal something...

But he is yound and he is still learning... Even if Crosby is younger and never play against man...

and think that Crosby is more complete and he may have a quicker impact in the NHL than Ovechkin....

But I may be wrong.. All of us are just speculating..
I'd think the one with experience for men should have quicker impact on the NHL, but it's anyone's guess really. Who knows if Crosby would even manage to be on the ice with some of the heavy weights out there? Ovy doesn't have to prove he can take and give the physical game on senior level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->