2002 SCF...

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Pending they hang on to win game 3, what odds would you have given the Hurricanes to beat Detroit? Let's not forget that game 2 was tied late, with them up 1-0 in the series. It took a late Hull goal, and triple ot for Detroit to win game 3. Game 4? 1-0 Detroit late. Ditto game 5 ( 3-2) until the Shanahan empty net.

Like the Rangers -Kings in 2014, that series never felt lopsided.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
I remember ESPN/ABC being pretty heavy on the narratives for Game 3 (1-1 series) and Game 5 (2-2 series) and the percentages of teams to win the overall series. I think it would have been huge for Carolina's confidence as an underdog, but Detroit had some resilient players in the locker room and dug themselves out of 0-2 and 2-3 holes already.

CharlestownChiefsESC

Sep 17, 2008
Laurence Harbor NJ
I think RANGERS - Kings was definitely closer. Remember the RANGERS were 2 years removed from a 1st place finish in 2012, and were even considered cup favorites in early 2013. Although they were underwhelming in 2014 they definitely had more horses than the Canes. That 02 Canes team were a true Cinderella though, the knocked of 3 of the east's top teams however as someone who watched from a neutral perspective after Detroit won Game 2 I almost knew it was over. I was even surprised Detroit even gave the Canes a game

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I remember the series as well. For a team that was really good that yr. Detroit's opponents played them close. (Remember they were down 0-2 to Vancouver as well).

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I remember ESPN/ABC being pretty heavy on the narratives for Game 3 (1-1 series) and Game 5 (2-2 series) and the percentages of teams to win the overall series. I think it would have been huge for Carolina's confidence as an underdog, but Detroit had some resilient players in the locker room and dug themselves out of 0-2 and 2-3 holes already.
The Red Wings were up 3-1 in game 5.

As far as the series: It is certainly possible Carolina could have ridden the wave of winning game 3 and made it a 6 or 7 game series, or even won the thing outright. The one problem is the Red Wings in three of their four wins allowed fewer than 20 shots on goal, and only allowed over 30 shots during game 3 (which ended in double overtime). That doesn't exactly scream a "close" series to me. Games 4 and 5 statistically seemed close but I do not recall the Red Wings being challenged a great deal in either of those games. Especially when they finished game 4 and 5 outscoring the Hurricanes 6-1 (with one empty netter).

The Hurricanes also only out-shot the Wings once, and that was in game 1.

25-26
30-17
53-43
27-17
26-17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->