2000 Entry Draft Re-do

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
This isn't directly related. but just an observation, look at a list like this. Some are better, some are worse, this ones probably fairly average. Then take the opinions some people have on what a first rounder should be, to the point of saying someone like Ryan Kesler is more of a 2nd or 3rd rounder than a late first. Kind of puts into perspective how much people overvalue the late first rounders here.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
When Gaborik reaches 70 points, then you may have an argument. Till then...

4 30 goal seasons, 3 of them injury shortened including a ridiculous 30 goals in 48 games last season, all of them in Minnesota's notorious offense sapping system. Yeah, I think I have a MUCH better argument than you.

BTW, when in the hell has Getzlaf reached 70 points either? His career high is 58. Gaborik scored 67 in his second season. Try again buddy.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
No, TheRedressor disagrees with me on that.
Sorry, I can't imagine very many GM's would take Vokoun over Lundqvist. Vokoun has an injury history and hasn't even won a playoff round yet. Lundqvist is 5 years younger than Vokoun and has gotten just as much, and probably more, done at the NHL level.

superpie

Aug 24, 2006
San Jose
4 30 goal seasons, 3 of them injury shortened including a ridiculous 30 goals in 48 games last season, all of them in Minnesota's notorious offense sapping system. Yeah, I think I have a MUCH better argument than you.

BTW, when in the hell has Getzlaf reached 70 points either? His career high is 58. Gaborik scored 67 in his second season. Try again buddy.

Getzlaf is a good player but he's not Gaborik status yet...Gaborik can create offense with British League players on his line..Seriously

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Love Heatley, but I'd take Gabby #1 overall in this draft.

This was the first season Gaborik has had a player of similiar ability to play with him and he put up monster numbers, on a defensive team while fighting through injuries.

He has that Pavel Bure like quality where everytime he steps on the ice you expect great things.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
How many of you people even watch Gaborik play? The guy can be insanely lazy and frustrating at times but he's one of the top game breakers in the NHL already at 25 with great defensive awareness to boot.

He had one bad season and one injury-plagues season and some of you act like he has no chance to recover.

Christ, the guy would have put up well over 100 points this year on possibly the worst offensive system the NHL has seen in years.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
How many of you people even watch Gaborik play? The guy can be insanely lazy and frustrating at times but he's one of the top game breakers in the NHL already at 25 with great defensive awareness to boot.

He had one bad season and one injury-plagues season and some of you act like he has no chance to recover.

Christ, the guy would have put up well over 100 points this year on possibly the worst offensive system the NHL has seen in years.

Relax, I'm with you. A lot of people judge a player's entire worth based on their stats. They see that Gaborik has never reached 70 points and instead of learning about the system he plays in or his excellent overall game or some of the fluke injuries he's suffered, they just assume he's some overhyped Euro and think he's not worth much.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Sorry, I can't imagine very many GM's would take Vokoun over Lundqvist. Vokoun has an injury history and hasn't even won a playoff round yet. Lundqvist is 5 years younger than Vokoun and has gotten just as much, and probably more, done at the NHL level.

Age is irrelevent considering we're talking about the present. Of course you'd take a guy in his mid 20's over a guy who's 30 if their skill levels are comparable. However, if I had to win right now, I'd take Vokoun for one season.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina

Wow, someone got their feathers ruffled.

Try looking a few posts up where I compared the individual players. I'm not saying Gaborik is bad by any stretch, but to say he is far and away the best player is a joke.

TheRedressor

Oct 3, 2005

I am not underating Gaborik, Just anyday of the weak I would take a game breaker in this order:

1. Goalie
2. Defenseman
3. Foward

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Age is irrelevent considering we're talking about the present. Of course you'd take a guy in his mid 20's over a guy who's 30 if their skill levels are comparable. However, if I had to win right now, I'd take Vokoun for one season.
Age may be irrelevant, but I still think most GM's would think Lundqvist is a better goalie than Vokoun. Look at his pro resume already:

Swedish League Championship
Olympic Gold Medal
2 straight Vezina nominations

And unlike Vokoun, he's been able to take his team out of the 1st round of the playoffs. He also doesn't have the health problems Vokoun has had. Vokoun is a great goalie, but I have to think Lundqvist is favored by most teams.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
1. NYI- Heatly
2. ATL- Lundqvist
3. MIN- Gaborik
4. CLB- Frolov
5. NYI- DiPietro
6. NSH- Vishnosky
7. BOS- Volchenkov
8. TB - Liles
9. CGY-Boyes
10. CHI-Stoll
11. CHI-Williams
12.ANA-Hartnell
13.MTL- Martin
14.COL- Klesla
15.BUF- Lombardi
16.MTL- Torres
17.EDM- Kronwall
18.PIT- Vermette
19.PHX- Bryzgalov
20.LAK- Orpik
21.OTT- Sutherby
22.NJD- Hossa
23.VAN- Schultz
24.TOR- Lilja
25.DAL- Gaustad
26.WSH- Foster
27.BOS- Ouellet
28.PHI- Hainsey
29.DET- Pettinger
30.STL- Winchester

HM: Cechmanek, Miettinen, Hale

Many Habs fans consider them as busts and yet I see them on the top 30 lists and they are turning into decent NHLers. Not THAT bad of a draft after all eh?

TheRedressor

Oct 3, 2005
Hossa is a good two-way winger who could put up 30-60 point depending on the season. Roin Hainsey had a decent season with 35 points last season. Not superstars, but serviceable players.

raskolnikov

Sep 13, 2005
LI
Oh what could have been. Heatly/Gabby and perhaps frolov all while keeping Roberto.

as if we haven't day dreamed enough

shuriken

Apr 20, 2006
If you think Lundqvist is better than Kiprusoff and Vokoun, then I guess you are.

Also, there's absolutely no way that Getzlaf, Spezza or Staal are better than Gaborik.

Eh..? Getzlaf ANY day over Gaborik.. even prior to their Stanley Cup run. He seriously has to have the best hands in hockey today. Gaborik is one-dimensional, even though he has improved a bit. Getzlaf plays in ALL situations. The only thing missing in Getzlaf is his skating but he more than makes up for it with his smarts. Gaborik is a speedy scoring winger. Plenty of those in the NHL. Not a lot of potential Joe Thorntons though, which imo Getzlaf very well may pan out to be when he's 27 if not sooner. Some of you may laugh - but you have not been paying attention to this kid's talent.

Titan124

Oct 14, 2005
Obviously I am biased obviously but I see Henrik as a top 3 goaltender in the league with Broduer and Luongo ahead of him. Is Gaborik a top 3 forward in this league? Jagr, crosby, Oevchkin, Selanne, Heatley, Spezza, Hosa, Staal, Getzlaf, Malkin to name a few are all in my opinion better. In my opinion Lundquist has a lot more value than Gaborik.

When Lundqvist plays well for an entire season you can talk. Until then, he is not the third best, not even in the top 5.

Titan124

Oct 14, 2005
Eh..? Getzlaf ANY day over Gaborik.. even prior to their Stanley Cup run. He seriously has to have the best hands in hockey today. Gaborik is one-dimensional, even though he has improved a bit. Getzlaf plays in ALL situations. The only thing missing in Getzlaf is his skating but he more than makes up for it with his smarts. Gaborik is a speedy scoring winger. Plenty of those in the NHL. Not a lot of potential Joe Thorntons though, which imo Getzlaf very well may pan out to be when he's 27 if not sooner. Some of you may laugh - but you have not been paying attention to this kid's talent.

Are you insane? Getzlaf is NOT a franchise player. At best, he is a solid first liner, but he will never be a star. Gaborik has been injure a lot, but he has been one of the best players in the league since the lock out. If you honestly think that Gaborik is a dime-a-dozen player, then you really must not like Pavel Bure. Saying Gaborik is nothing special becuase of his style and/or injury would have to mean that you think the same about Bure.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
1. Heatley
2. Lundqvist
3. Gaborik
4. Dipietro
5. Frolov
6. Visnovski
7. Liles
8. Volchenkov
9. Hartnell
10. Williams