20 Years Ago Today - One Of Wrestling's Biggest Angles Started

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Back in the day, you could change to the PPV channel and still get the audio (with scrambled picture) without paying for it. I remember listening to the main event to figure out who the third guy was going to be. When Hogan came out, I fully expected him to play the hero and save Macho/Sting. Didn't even cross my mind that he might be the third man.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Back in the day, you could change to the PPV channel and still get the audio (with scrambled picture) without paying for it. I remember listening to the main event to figure out who the third guy was going to be. When Hogan came out, I fully expected him to play the hero and save Macho/Sting. Didn't even cross my mind that he might be the third man.

Oh God. When I was like....11-14 I used to do this all the time. Just sit there listening to a scrambly screen and taking in the action.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Back in the day, you could change to the PPV channel and still get the audio (with scrambled picture) without paying for it.

Oh God. When I was like....11-14 I used to do this all the time.

I used to be able to do that to a couple of " adult " channels too but only on nights where was no rain, snow or too much wind. I was never quite sure if I was seeing someone's head or boob but I kept watching anyway. :laugh:

bruins309

Krejci Fight Club
Sep 17, 2007
This is a classic example of something being the best and worst possible thing.

Best: Without Hogan's name and high profile, the NWO thing never takes off the way it did

Worst: With Hogan's ego in the picture, the thing was bound to be a political mess before long.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Might have to watch it on the Network tonight. Looking the Wikipedia entry and what a stinker of a card. Disco Inferno (and Dean Malenko) had the third longest match of the night.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Might have to watch it on the Network tonight. Looking the Wikipedia entry and what a stinker of a card. Disco Inferno (and Dean Malenko) had the third longest match of the night.
That Malenko match is actually a good one, easily the second best match on the card behind the opening Mysterio vs Psychosis match. That opener is one of the best ever, amazing match and well worth going out your way to watch, so go watch that even if you do skip the rest of the card (which is mostly bad).

The Man in White

Jun 28, 2004
Oh God. When I was like....11-14 I used to do this all the time. Just sit there listening to a scrambly screen and taking in the action.

Same :laugh:

Best thing that ever happened to wrestling. And the chase with Sting :nod:. Too bad they botched that payoff at Starrcade

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad