The Athletic - Boston 2 Yale Road in Arlington, MA

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
1665864100113.png

The house sits on a corner lot at 2 Yale Road in Arlington, a pleasant, leafy suburb just north of Boston. It’s a cozy little house with a big backyard, a driveway on the side and an oversized Norway spruce out front that looks like it’s been there forever.

And yet when Johnny “The Chief” Bucyk talks about the place, you’d think he was describing a laboratory, or maybe a prep school where the only course that’s taught is Advanced Hockey Communications. For it was in that house, for a few years in the late 1950s, that a young Bucyk, having been acquired by the Boston Bruins from the Detroit Red Wings for goaltender Terry Sawchuk, did a deep dive into the finer points of the game, the result being that he added knowhow and savvy to God-given skills.

John Paul Bucyk, No. 9 in your program and No. 96 in The Athletic’s rundown of the 100 greatest players in modern NHL history, has been described by Harry Sinden, the Hall of Fame coach, general manager and president of the Bruins, as the most dangerous winger he’s ever seen when in front of the net. And the late Tony Esposito, the Hall of Fame Chicago goaltender, often quipped that Bucyk was like the scary butler Lurch from “The Addams Family” television series of the 1960s because he’d suddenly appear in the slot, seemingly from out of nowhere.

And to hear Bucyk speak, it all came together during those couple of years he shared the little house on Yale Road in Arlington with linemates Bronco Horvath and Vic Stasiuk. All three had signed their first pro contracts with the Red Wings. All three had been teammates for a while on the Edmonton Flyers, a Detroit farm team in the Western Hockey League. All three had been acquired by the Bruins in separate transactions. And all three were Canadian-born NHL players with Ukrainian DNA, which is why Horvath-Bucyk-Stasiuk came to be known as the “Uke Line.”

“We used to come home after a game, sit down, the three of us, and discuss what we did wrong, what worked, what we needed to do, all of that,” said Bucyk, who turned 87 in May. “I think the reason we became such a good line was because the communication the three of us guys had was great.

“And because we were living together it taught us how to work together and discuss things.”

The house on Yale Road was actually owned by Pat Egan, a gritty, talented defenseman who played 11 seasons in the NHL, six of them with the Bruins. But by 1957 he was off coaching in the minor leagues — he later guided the AHL Springfield Indians to three straight Calder Cup titles — so he rented the place to the Uke Line. Other players came and went as well. Bucyk likes to joke that you could tell NHL players lived there because of the towels that had been spirited away from various hotels.

Reactions: bruins19 and hrdpuk

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

The house sits on a corner lot at 2 Yale Road in Arlington, a pleasant, leafy suburb just north of Boston. It’s a cozy little house with a big backyard, a driveway on the side and an oversized Norway spruce out front that looks like it’s been there forever.

And yet when Johnny “The Chief” Bucyk talks about the place, you’d think he was describing a laboratory, or maybe a prep school where the only course that’s taught is Advanced Hockey Communications. For it was in that house, for a few years in the late 1950s, that a young Bucyk, having been acquired by the Boston Bruins from the Detroit Red Wings for goaltender Terry Sawchuk, did a deep dive into the finer points of the game, the result being that he added knowhow and savvy to God-given skills.

John Paul Bucyk, No. 9 in your program and No. 96 in The Athletic’s rundown of the 100 greatest players in modern NHL history, has been described by Harry Sinden, the Hall of Fame coach, general manager and president of the Bruins, as the most dangerous winger he’s ever seen when in front of the net. And the late Tony Esposito, the Hall of Fame Chicago goaltender, often quipped that Bucyk was like the scary butler Lurch from “The Addams Family” television series of the 1960s because he’d suddenly appear in the slot, seemingly from out of nowhere.

And to hear Bucyk speak, it all came together during those couple of years he shared the little house on Yale Road in Arlington with linemates Bronco Horvath and Vic Stasiuk. All three had signed their first pro contracts with the Red Wings. All three had been teammates for a while on the Edmonton Flyers, a Detroit farm team in the Western Hockey League. All three had been acquired by the Bruins in separate transactions. And all three were Canadian-born NHL players with Ukrainian DNA, which is why Horvath-Bucyk-Stasiuk came to be known as the “Uke Line.”

“We used to come home after a game, sit down, the three of us, and discuss what we did wrong, what worked, what we needed to do, all of that,” said Bucyk, who turned 87 in May. “I think the reason we became such a good line was because the communication the three of us guys had was great.

“And because we were living together it taught us how to work together and discuss things.”

The house on Yale Road was actually owned by Pat Egan, a gritty, talented defenseman who played 11 seasons in the NHL, six of them with the Bruins. But by 1957 he was off coaching in the minor leagues — he later guided the AHL Springfield Indians to three straight Calder Cup titles — so he rented the place to the Uke Line. Other players came and went as well. Bucyk likes to joke that you could tell NHL players lived there because of the towels that had been spirited away from various hotels.

the Bride was born and raised in 6 Yale Rd, 2 doors down.
Mr. Egan was a great, great, gentleman.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
the Bride was born and raised in 6 Yale Rd, 2 doors down.
Mr. Egan was a great, great, gentleman.
Did color for the Bruins on TV38 in 1969

1665865663697.png

He told TV38 he would come back but they should hire his friend Johnny Pierson who was doing radio on WBZ

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Did color for the Bruins on TV38 in 1969

View attachment 594404

He told TV38 he would come back but they should hire his friend Johnny Pierson who was doing radio on WBZ

I remember. Also at time his wife was terminally ill. He was incredibly devoted to her.
So he went to work part time at Holovak and Coughlin sporting goods just a mile or two away.
I didnt have a pot to piss in. He gave me so much free stuff. Little things. Pucks, roll of tape. A Cheevers poster that he claimed was damage that he couldnt sell.
And advice. My hockey pants had grown too short. So when I went down I had a gap between them and my goalie pads. He obviously couldnt give me new pants. What he did do was give me a pair of basketball knee pads and showed me how to tape them just above my knee between my socks and longjjohns.

I got to know him there. Couldnt get over it when I started dating the Bride and there he was talking to my future father-in-law on the front lawn.

Flat out told me to mind my manners. She was a great young lady. Then said to my future father-in-law that I was a good kid.

Small world.

But again, a great guy however you measure one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad