2 sets

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
Figuring that the pads dont come for another 2 months(near may), i think i would have enough time.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
Im more worried about getting used to them by tryout rather then the money issue.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
Anyways do you guys have any pad suggestion? Im lookin into the Itech X-Wings or Velo3s.

RSBPC

Jan 19, 2005
If you just got brand new gear, then new pads isn't going to help. Are you going to want to get rid of the next set after 6 months too? My advice is to worry more about your game and less about your gear.

Reckless Abandon*

You should get new pads if you answer this question.

Where is your five-hole?

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
If you just got brand new gear, then new pads isn't going to help. Are you going to want to get rid of the next set after 6 months too? My advice is to worry more about your game and less about your gear.

Yea im going to work on my game by going to various camps, I was just worried that the pads may not break in time, I have the summer.

RSBPC

Jan 19, 2005
Yea im going to work on my game by going to various camps, I was just worried that the pads may not break in time, I have the summer.

You have posted 15 times in this thread and not once have you said what is wrong with your current pads. What don't you like about them? To me it sounds like you are having confidence issues. Shiny new gear won't fix that. Working hard on your game will.

If there is something wrong with you pads, i.e. wrong size or they don't suit your style of play, get new gear. If there is nothing wrong with your current pads, then stick with them and save your parents the money or tell them to put it aside for you for college, or a car, or something important.

I am a goalie too, and if I had asked my dad for a new set of pads for no reason after using my current ones for less than a year, he would have kicked me in the teeth.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
The only legit thing i do not like about the pads are the size and the thickness of it which obstructs my style.

RSBPC

Jan 19, 2005
The only legit thing i do not like about the pads are the size and the thickness of it which obstructs my style.

What size and model pads are they, what is your ankle to knee, and how would you describe your style?

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
What size and model pads are they, what is your ankle to knee, and how would you describe your style?

Wel my ATK is a 17.5 which would fit a 34 inch pad well. I have RBK 7k 35 inch which is a tad too big and are known as a stiff pad. Im more of a butterfly goalie and would like to try a more flexy pad such as a Itech. If u have more question just ask.

RSBPC

Jan 19, 2005
Wel my ATK is a 17.5 which would fit a 34 inch pad well. I have RBK 7k 35 inch which is a tad too big and are known as a stiff pad. Im more of a butterfly goalie and would like to try a more flexy pad such as a Itech. If u have more question just ask.

If you are in HS, you're still growing. Don't get rid of your pads because they are 1 inch too big. RBK's are typically a good fit kfor tenders that frequently play a butterfly style.

If you really want to get new pads, then I'm not going to tell you not to, but I personally don't see any reason for it.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
If you are in HS, you're still growing. Don't get rid of your pads because they are 1 inch too big. RBK's are typically a good fit kfor tenders that frequently play a butterfly style.

If you really want to get new pads, then I'm not going to tell you not to, but I personally don't see any reason for it.

Thx for the advise but if i were to get pads wat would you reccomand a 34 inch or 35 inch pad. They are going to be Itechs and i would like to add a couple inches of thigh raise. If i follow my family background chances are im going to stop growing by 16 which is in about 4 months. No one in my family is over 6ft and im already 5'10", but theres always a chance.

RSBPC

Jan 19, 2005
Thx for the advise but if i were to get pads wat would you reccomand a 34 inch or 35 inch pad. They are going to be Itechs and i would like to add a couple inches of thigh raise. If i follow my family background chances are im going to stop growing by 16 which is in about 4 months. No one in my family is over 6ft and im already 5'10", but theres always a chance.

Depends on the manufacturer. I've never owned or used Itechs so I have no clue about how their sizing runs. Make sure you try stuff on first and if you're dead set on new pads, get something that is comfortable but a little on the bigger side. You may or may not grow (I'm betting you will) but you certainly won't shrink.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
if your looking for a pad that has no break in period, Low cost point with top name quality, be sure to give www.smithhockey.com a look. Pete Smith Put Vaughn on the map with his designs, such as the Velo line. HE created some of the features you see on many of todays pads such as an adjustable thigh rise/board, Sliding toe bridge, internal pad breaks that make the pad ready for use out of the box.....wait time is currently about 6-8 weeks. He will create your pad with the mods and features you want.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
if your looking for a pad that has no break in period, Low cost point with top name quality, be sure to give www.smithhockey.com a look. Pete Smith Put Vaughn on the map with his designs, such as the Velo line. HE created some of the features you see on many of todays pads such as an adjustable thigh rise/board, Sliding toe bridge, internal pad breaks that make the pad ready for use out of the box.....wait time is currently about 6-8 weeks. He will create your pad with the mods and features you want.

Thx for the website, by the way do you know any place that can show me the right pad size for me to wear? I wear RBK 35inches and think they are a little too big because my knee lands on the lower part of the landing spot. If i were to get pads I would add a plus 2 thigh raise and i have mized feelings on getting 35 plus 2. It just seems to big.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
if you check out hte major players such as donsimmons.com, vaughnhockey.com...etc etc most have a size chart and info what/how to measure. With Smith, you would provide ( http://smithhockey.com/sizing.html ) for a set made to your size.

RBK typically fit longer by about an inch. One general rule of thumb i have found to work well for a stock pad...use your inseam measure for a well fit pair of jeans. In sock feet and the pants NOT hanging off your backside...the pant leg would just touch te floor at your heal. For instance....wear a 32x34 pair of jeans? 34 would be your MIN pad length and a 36 would be a MAX where you knee would be lower in the cradle. In this example, if the goalie wnated something longer it would be best to go with a 34" and have the extra in added thigh rise. In any case, the measure from groin to floor in sock feet is a good measure for most MALE goalies.

Remember that the +2 may cause some interference with stance and glove postioning. I would seriously consider finding someplace that has these to try on before ordering a set. Given your dislike for the interference with your current, you might just end up with the same problem going +2.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
if you check out hte major players such as donsimmons.com, vaughnhockey.com...etc etc most have a size chart and info what/how to measure. With Smith, you would provide ( http://smithhockey.com/sizing.html ) for a set made to your size.

RBK typically fit longer by about an inch. One general rule of thumb i have found to work well for a stock pad...use your inseam measure for a well fit pair of jeans. In sock feet and the pants NOT hanging off your backside...the pant leg would just touch te floor at your heal. For instance....wear a 32x34 pair of jeans? 34 would be your MIN pad length and a 36 would be a MAX where you knee would be lower in the cradle. In this example, if the goalie wnated something longer it would be best to go with a 34" and have the extra in added thigh rise. In any case, the measure from groin to floor in sock feet is a good measure for most MALE goalies.

Remember that the +2 may cause some interference with stance and glove postioning. I would seriously consider finding someplace that has these to try on before ordering a set. Given your dislike for the interference with your current, you might just end up with the same problem going +2.

Thx for te advise, I think i will go with a 35+2 because It still gives me some growing room. THe RBKs i have right now are 35s and if i were to add 2 plus to them i dont think it would be a problem. Knowing this, Ill probably get the Itechs in 35s plus 2 beacause I heard they run a little smaller and are a more flexible pad. The only concern is that it would look huge on me because im only 5ft' 10in".

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006
No offense, but maybe spend the money on goalie camp.

Goalie camp sounds like the way to go. Also, you need to realize maybe you weren't as good as you think, that your parents aren't an endless fountain of money, and that you need to work on acting and thinking more maturely. Blaming two different coaches on different teams for not making the teams may be a big part of why you didn't make the teams. The hard work offseason and losing weight are steps in the right direction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->