2 sets

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
Probably just wrong, but if you need it and can afford it then go for it.

The reason i might get the pads
So in the beginning of the year I bought new pads, which were 7k pads, gloves and blockers($800). After some use I tried out for my high school. After hard work I was cut because i never played preseason and i think my endurace was bad. I was so mad and even cried. I knew i should of made i because i was a lot better then the goalies. So then i played midget where i have been low balled all year(bad coach). It is almost over and I just go to get practice even if my coaches are ridiculous. So being cut from high school hockey I have been trying to lose weight to help make the high school team. Since getting cut I have lost about 30 pounds, working my butt off. i pretty much work out everyday afterschool working cardio to build my endurance. Now that the year is ending i was wondering if i should get a new set of equipment now. The new gear set would probably cost like 1600 but would definietly be my last set beacause of the price. So I ask u guys should i get new pads now and get used to them before my high school tryouts(in Oct.). I would only all summer to get broken in such as camps and sunday free skates. Im 50-50 on getting new ones but i feel a little bad for my parents dishing out another grand for equipment. But i have been so frustrated this year I feel like i need something since I am really working hard to acheive my goals. It would make it 2 sets of pads in one year. But i am very confident i will be starting high school next year with all the work im putting in. I just dont know if i should get another set right before high school tryouts and only have a summer to break them in(it it enough). i am also trying to sell a lot of my old gear for hopefully 800 dollars to help ease the cost.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
How much money would u be willing to spend on goalie pads,gloves and a blocker.

Happy Pony

Jan 17, 2006
Columbus
If you're parents are paying then you definitley need to get the new set! Living on my own and buying all my own gear, paying my own fees etc makes me miss the days when my parents would buy me new gear.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
Probably just wrong, but if you need it and can afford it then go for it.

If you're parents are paying then you definitley need to get the new set! Living on my own and buying all my own gear, paying my own fees etc makes me miss the days when my parents would buy me new gear.

Yea i just feeling like a ass asking them for a thousand dollars worth of gear.

crashlanding

Nov 29, 2005
Chicago
I'm not a goalie so I may not understand the allure to new pads but do you really need them? Do you want them just as a reward for all the hard work you've put in? Are you not confident in the current pads you have?

I applaud you for all your hard work and I would love to see the look on the high school coaches face when you try out next year, but if you're looking for a reward I'd focus on getting something less expensive that you've been wanting. Maybe a new Avs jersey with Theodore on the back (kidding).

I've bought new expensive sticks in the past because I thought I needed them and they would really help out my shot. After getting them I realized that the stick had nothing to do with it and I've gone back to my old ones.

lotus

Jul 22, 2006
New York
If you feel you should be rewarded go for it. But why not wait to see if you make the team and then reward yourself if you do? I'm sure you'll appreciate it much more by then, and you can get yourself something else nice for now as kind of motivation to keep going. (maybe not even hockey related, or as expensive haha). Don't get yourself distracted though! Keep practicing, the real reward will be making the team. (and seeing this years starter become the backup :biglaugh:)

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
if they dont fit or are having a negative affect on your play(you not just house league?) I would say it isnt a problem. Be prepared to sell the old set...

There is no reason to have two different sets of pads unless they are IDENTICAL. It wouldnt help your game to be switching between different sets of gear. you would get rid if the older set.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
Well basically i guess im loseing some conifdence in my pad, maybe because of the allure of getting new pads. So basically I can buy them now work with then in the summer then tryout with them or order them after making the team then wait 2 months to get them in which the season would already almost be done.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
if they dont fit or are having a negative affect on your play(you not just house league?) I would say it isnt a problem. Be prepared to sell the old set...

There is no reason to have two different sets of pads unless they are IDENTICAL. It wouldnt help your game to be switching between different sets of gear. you would get rid if the older set.

yea if got the new set i would definently sell my old set for like 800 dollars which would cut the price my half.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
If you feel you should be rewarded go for it. But why not wait to see if you make the team and then reward yourself if you do? I'm sure you'll appreciate it much more by then, and you can get yourself something else nice for now as kind of motivation to keep going. (maybe not even hockey related, or as expensive haha). Don't get yourself distracted though! Keep practicing, the real reward will be making the team. (and seeing this years starter become the backup :biglaugh:)

I would love to see the goalies that made it backing up me because I know im a lot better then them.

crashlanding

Nov 29, 2005
Chicago
Well basically i guess im loseing some conifdence in my pad, maybe because of the allure of getting new pads. So basically I can buy them now work with then in the summer then tryout with them or order them after making the team then wait 2 months to get them in which the season would already almost be done.
Well confidence is the most important thing for a goaltender. If you're unhappy with your current set of pads I'd say go for it.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
Well confidence is the most important thing for a goaltender. If you're unhappy with your current set of pads I'd say go for it.

yea true confidence is a big part. I just really want to make this team and dont want to fail.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com

In that situation, I would say Sooner is better than later. Try-outs for next season arent at your current season end? Ours(USA) are always the week after nationals end, First or second week of April.

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
I would wait it out, i wouldn't go get new pads when you have a perfectly good pair sitting there, especially a pair in which you have worked with. I mean anytime you get new gear, skates gloves stick anything, there is an adjustment period, plus you have to break them in. I would stick with the pads you got.

ISensFanI

Sep 2, 2006
Ottawa
If your going to get them, get them now. I had a really hard time getting use to my new stuff. (1 inch smaller becuase hockey Canada switching to NHL standards) So I had to switch from 12 inch width to 11 (The blocker and trapper were a lot smaller too), doesnt seem like much but took me a while to get used to. If you do get them in the summer you should goto a goalie camp to get use to them. For about the first 5 games I got my new pads I felt really bulky in them and I let in 3-5 goals a game and didnt win one. I was even thinking about switching back to my old ones. Now I feel really comfortable in them and I'm on a 6 game win streak and havn't let in more than two goals a game during the 6 win streak.

So new pads take a while to get use to, if your going to get them, get them now so their ready for next season.

JLHockeyKnight

IMA Real American
Apr 19, 2006
North Central Jersey
No offense, but maybe spend the money on goalie camp.

He's got a good point. Working out is nice, but nothing will prepare you for the season, AND work you out, then getting signed up to a training camp. Look into it, especially if your parents are paying for it.

Consider yourself lucky too, so don't totally destroy your parents bank account. I'm 21 and I've been playing inline for only 2 years. At your age I asked my parents to play inline and they laughed cause we couldn't afford it.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
In that situation, I would say Sooner is better than later. Try-outs for next season arent at your current season end? Ours(USA) are always the week after nationals end, First or second week of April.

My tryouts are in mid August to Sep. That would give me the summer times to break in new equipment which is just a gloves and pads. I would go to camps and free skates to help break them in. Enough time? My last pair I think, i broke in pretty fast but dont remember how fast.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->