2 Questions about waivers and salary cap

Mesrine1975

Jun 14, 2005
I've been looking everywhere on the boards here and on google and didnt find it....

1) Are the waivers rules on for all the regular season? or it stops after the trade deadline?

2) Do the teams have to be under the salary cap in the playoffs?

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
13.2 The "Playing Season Waiver Period" shall begin on the twelfth (12th) day prior to the start of the Regular Season and end on the day following the last day of a Club's Playing Season
The CBA does not specifically define "Playing Season" from what I can find, the closest I saw in a cursory look was 13.23 which covers players who start in Europe and sign a contract durig the season - they have to clear waivers before playing in the NHL, including the playoffs.

2. According to 50.5, the salary cap applies at all times; however, there's the ongoing question of how exactly it applies in the playoffs ... so I've asked a team executive how this is supposed to be interpreted. I should hopefully have a definitive answer early next week.

Last edited:

MLH

Feb 6, 2003
Paul Gaustad's cap hit is 713K and he's out for the season.

How much flexibility does this give the Sabres at the deadline if he were to be replaced via trade?

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Paul Gaustad's cap hit is 713K and he's out for the season.

How much flexibility does this give the Sabres at the deadline if he were to be replaced via trade?
$712,500 x 40/187 = $156,217. Tacked on to Connolly's exemption, the Sabres have about $685,000 from my calculations - meaning they could go get guys whose annual cap hits add up to about $3.2 million.

MLH

Feb 6, 2003
$712,500 x 40/187 = $156,217. Tacked on to Connolly's exemption, the Sabres have about $685,000 from my calculations - meaning they could go get guys whose annual cap hits add up to about $3.2 million.

Thanks.

2. According to 50.5, the salary cap applies at all times; however, there's the ongoing question of how exactly it applies in the playoffs ... so I've asked a team executive how this is supposed to be interpreted. I should hopefully have a definitive answer early next week.

This is from WGR (Buffalo Radio) host Brad Riter on a Sabres messageboard:

Brad Riter said:
Just received this from Bill Daly, Deputy Commissioner of the NHL.

If Connolly remains unfit to play through the conclusion of the regular season and into the Playoffs, but becomes fit to play during the Playoffs, he would be eligible to be taken off LTI and added to the active roster without any cap consequences.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad