GDT: 2/17/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Thought Hainsey was awful tonight, he hasn't been the same for a few weeks now.

Good effort by Pitts. That two-headed monster was clicking all night (Malkin, Crosby). It's hard to win when you got those 2 guys manning the fort most of the game.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Some of Babcock's personnel choices are just horrible
Just wait for the Babcult to come for you shouting that he's perfect and it was a smart decision to wait 50 games in to send Komarov to 4th line and call the kids up instead of at the start of the season

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Thought it was pretty even for the most part with the difference being Malkin's line completely dominated Kadri's. When the pens are rolling like this it's tough to stop since they have Crosby, Malkin, and Kessel all on separate lines.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah, don't see the Leafs taking the Pens in a 7 game series. Tampa Bay or Boston, sure. Not the Leafs though.

I don't see the Bruins matching up that great against the Penguins, to be honest. I'd take the Penguins in that series. Although I'd like to see which Bruins team is showing up, is it the team that has been on fire for a month or two or the team before that?

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Thought it was pretty even for the most part with the difference being Malkin's line completely dominated Kadri's. When the pens are rolling like this it's tough to stop since they have Crosby, Malkin, and Kessel all on separate lines.

The stats:

Expected goals: Leafs 3.6-3.27 Pens
CF %: Leafs- 48%, Pens-52%

Though watching the game, I thought Pens were the better team. Maybe not by a lot but they deserved the win. I thought we could have got some calls that could have tilted the game but that's going to happen over an 82 game year. Nice test game for us and hopefully the young guys learn from it. I thought our defense was particularly bad today exiting the zone........neutral zone play was solid. It was the opposite for the most part, against CBJ IMO. Things to work on for the Leafs.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Mathews just looked off and Bob Errey mentioned he was laboring at times going back to the bench. Pens will get Hornqvist back and Schultz was out sick. Leafs played well just may need to add a D man as they struggled during periods of the game where they had problems in their end. Malkin is such a match up problem for teams.

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
Did anyone else watch the Pittsburgh broadcast. Those two guys were fairly balanced with their commentary. Are they always like that?

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Thought Hainsey was awful tonight, he hasn't been the same for a few weeks now.

Good effort by Pitts. That two-headed monster was clicking all night (Malkin, Crosby). It's hard to win when you got those 2 guys manning the fort most of the game.

If this were six weeks ago, the way the Pens were playing then, the Leafs might’ve run away with this one. That’s one scary talented team you’ve got up there in Toronto. But at the moment not only are the stars for Pitt stepping up on a nightly basis but Murray is looking like he’s back to playoff form. Plus the young role players are stepping up (Rust, Aston Reese, etc) and the D is looking solid top to bottom...though apparently not tonight. I’m blaming Hunwick :laugh:

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Did anyone else watch the Pittsburgh broadcast. Those two guys were fairly balanced with their commentary. Are they always like that?
Steve Mears replacing Steigerwald has been a godsend. Bob Eerey is still an “aww shucks”y kind of color comm. who says can say homerish stuff at times, but he’s mostly tolerable.

Night and day from what it used to be. All in all, I’d still rather have Lange back there but at least he’s still on radio

Last edited:

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Any team can take the Pens out in a 7 game series. If we don't 3-peat it's not the end of the world, we still got 2 in a row for the first time in the cap era. We will just have to 2-peat after. ;)

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Tampa is so mediocre lately. Really disappointing when they're all healthy.

They peppered us with like 50+ shots. They were anything but mediocre tonight. Lack was incredible and the Devils were opportunistic.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Michael Haley just got into a fight for the Panthers.. nothing new here. Dude has 15 fighting majors on the season (leads the league), he has 159 penalty minutes this season.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
based on 1 game?

No. I would say based on the Leafs not having a good defense.

Your top D pair to go vs Crosby would be Reilly and Hainsey....I'll take that all day.

And then you have Malkin...

And then you have Kessel on line 3 vs Polak. Lol.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Mears is really good and Errey has dramatically cut down on the homerism. Getting rid of Steigy has been amazing.
Errey is obviously rooting for the Pens and doesn't hide it, but he also calls it as he sees it for the most part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->