1st rounders of '03 - will we see any this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
I was reading my THN poolie guide a while back and it mentioned that the folks at THN feel that *NO* players out of the draft class of 2003 will crack an NHL roster. Do any of you guys feel the same way?

I know in Vancouver, Ryan Kesler has impressed the hell out of the coaching staff, but to be honest, it may be unlikely to see him play any games at all. Maybe, at the most, a callup here and there.

Nikolai Zherdev has all sorts of issues surrounding him. He seemed like the most likely canidate to play next year.

What other players are signed & could play? Eric Staal? What about Brent Seabrooke in Chicago? They are desperate for defensemen...

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Staal and Fleury seem to at least have a 50/50 chance to crack their respective teams.

Others are still in camp (Horton, Stewart for example) but I haven't heard whether they really have a shot to make the team or not.

Bissonette for the Pens, Burns for the Wild and Fritsche for the Jackets also seem to be making the team at least think about keeping them around.

Of those that do survive the remainder of camp, their "try out" will probably continue into the regular season. Once they get past game 10, then they can rest easy, as their year of contract eligibility will have been surpassed and this generally means they will stay with the team for the whole year.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Staal last time I heard was on his way.
Michalek has a big shot as well.
Horton/Stewart, it remains to be seen.
Zherdev too...
Bruns...
Bissonnette shouldn't make it, but he's been awfully impressive and sending him back to juniors might be a mistake.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Mizral said:
I was reading my THN poolie guide a while back and it mentioned that the folks at THN feel that *NO* players out of the draft class of 2003 will crack an NHL roster. Do any of you guys feel the same way?

I know in Vancouver, Ryan Kesler has impressed the hell out of the coaching staff, but to be honest, it may be unlikely to see him play any games at all. Maybe, at the most, a callup here and there.

Nikolai Zherdev has all sorts of issues surrounding him. He seemed like the most likely canidate to play next year.

What other players are signed & could play? Eric Staal? What about Brent Seabrooke in Chicago? They are desperate for defensemen...

I've heard so far better feedback regarding Babchuk than Seabrooke.

Staal seems to be having a good camp. Some posters were saying Stewart is doing great with the Panthers, Dustin Brown with the Kings. Burns with the Wild.

IkeaMonkey*

Florida fans seem to think Horton will be ready to play this year.....

austroduck

May 9, 2003
Visit site
ryan getzlaf might have a chance to clinch a roster spot in the ducks´lineup.... chances are good, that getzalf and lupul will replace leclerc (out till december) and steve thomas.

Pwk

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
Mizral said:

The minnesota Wild offered Brent Burns 20th overall a Contract.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/1330/4109377.html

http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/sports/hockey/nhl/minnesota_wild/6829364.htm

Scottkmlps

Aug 25, 2003
Ladysmith, BC
Visit site
Bob MacKenzie just had a little segmant on this on TSN the other day. He says Staal, Fleury, Horton, Stewart, Zherdev, and Michalek could all stick with their respective teams this year. Brown is another that has been impressing his coaching staff, although he's more of a longshot.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Scottkmlps said:
Bob MacKenzie just had a little segmant on this on TSN the other day. He says Staal, Fleury, Horton, Stewart, Zherdev, and Michalek could all stick with their respective teams this year. Brown is another that has been impressing his coaching staff, although he's more of a longshot.

Isn't Zherdev still in Russia? I don't think there is any chance he will play in North America this year, is there?

mowthecat

Mizral said:

I thought Zherdev is unsigned as of this post.

I think the best chances toplay this year will be Babchuk of the Hawks and Staal for Carolina.

psuflyer

Feb 27, 2002
Drexel Hill,PA
Visit site
mowthecat said:
I thought Zherdev is unsigned as of this post.

I think the best chances toplay this year will be Babchuk of the Hawks and Staal for Carolina.
Babchuk is 2002 draft, although I think staal has a good chance at carolina as well as Horton with the Panthers.

Slowe

Feb 8, 2003
Chicago
Visit site
Seabrook was returned to his junior team. So our first rounder won't make it, but Kukkonen still has a shot. I personally don't think he'll make it out of camp due to a numbers thing, but Smith has implied defense is wide open. Odds are if he does well then we make room for him later.

X-SHARKIE

Burns should be in the AHL.

Michalek has been the most impressive rookie in Sharks camp... Well mabey Christian Ehrhoff has...but thats not the point... He could play on the Sharks and fit in like a vet. But there probally gonna devolope his game in the AHL a year.

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
X-SHARKIE said:
Burns should be in the AHL.

Got the inside scoop on the Wild's camp?

Perhaps you're right, but they'd have to change the eligibility rules, which I don't think they'll do.

X-SHARKIE

ceber said:
Got the inside scoop on the Wild's camp?

Perhaps you're right, but they'd have to change the eligibility rules, which I don't think they'll do.

Hit me in the head for that one.... Forgot about the rules... lol. No i'm just saying a kid straite out of Juniors usually doesnt go to well. Best of luck for him though :)

I hope the Wild have a steal on there hands and seems to me like they do.

JasonMacIsaac

I wish Parise signed, I have noone to talk about.. hrmmmmmm.............../me looks at his watch.......I'l leave now

FlyersFan10*

I know that no one from Flyers draft will be on the team. They returned Jeff Carter to Sault Ste Marie on Saturday evening. I haven't heard anything about Mike Richards, but I'm sure he probably got sent back too. I'm glad though. Let these kids develop and play as much as possible. I mean, they're only 18 years old and they haven't even developed physically yet, so this is a good time to let them grow.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I am sure Fleury is going to play this year.

Bissionnette isn't a first rounder, but he is gonna play too. At least for a little bit...Maybe like Eminger did for the Caps last year.

I can't explain it, I just am confient Fleury is gonna play this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad