1st round picks being thrown around freely

TC20

Dec 12, 2006
Look at the teams tossing around the first picks it's all team in that 22 to 30 range pick, so giving away a player who may not pan out in the nhl for a player who you can make a run with this year is never a bad idea no matter how strong the draft is

mooseOAK*

The less than compelling WJC is another clue that this draft won't be that great.

Slink

Jan 31, 2004
Newmarket, ON
I could have sworn that 2 weeks ago everyone was saying that and late 2nd round pick this year is going to be like a late 1st round pick last year.

Checker*

I posted this on the Blues board, but this seems like an appropriate place to gauge reaction from fans of other teams as well.

If this is a weak draft, and assuiming that at least one more 1st round pick is coming to the Blues for Guerin, there are other ways that draft picks can be utilized. Let's say, restricted free agents. Couldn't the Blues take two of the 1sts they have, their own second, and Atlanta's 3rd and throw 5 million bucks at say Thomas Vanek. Buffalo has two high profile UFAs and not alot of room to work with. By doing this, the Blues would either get the high profile young sniper that they need and could generate a buzz or the Sabres match and basically ensure that they won't be able to bring back their UFAs

Last edited by a moderator:

BuddehJuS

Nov 25, 2006
I posted this on the Blues board, but this seems like an appropriate place to gauge reaction from fans of other teams as well.

If this is a weak draft, and assuiming that at least one more 1st round pick is coming to the Blues for Guerin, there are other ways that draft picks can be utilized. Let's say, restricted free agents. Couldn't the Blues take two of the 1sts they have, their own second, and Atlanta's 3rd and throw 5 million bucks at say Thomas Vanek. Buffalo has two high profile UFAs and not alot of room to work with. By doing this, the Blues would either get the high profile young sniper that they need and could generate a buzz or the Sabres match and basically ensure that they won't be able to bring back their UFAs

Ah, nicely thought out. Though, doing that is a quick way to make enemies.

Checker*

Ah, nicely thought out. Though, doing that is a quick way to make enemies.

That's very true and what I failed to mention is that the Blues have two RFAs in Stempniak and Jackman who a team could try for retaliation with. Therefore I wouldn't even entertain the notion until both of them have nice shiny new contracts. Keeping in mind that this could rub some GMs the wrong way, I'd still like to see the Blues do this as with the obscene amounts of picks they'll have in the next two years, they can make this move without selling their future. Plus, under Andy Murray, the Blues are close to a playoff team again with Oshie and EJ possibly under a year away from making their debuts. Instead of waiting 2-3 years at least for 3 draft picks any of which could bust, I think it makes more sense to bring in one big gun now. I just remember after the new CBA got signed that there was talk that RFA stealing could increase, and outside of a bid for Kesler, it really hasn't happened. Plus this is a move that has historically been in our playbook which has caused us to gain great players and lose others.

HoverCarle*

another thing people often forget/ dont realize is that back in the 90's the league only had 26. now we have 30. most teams trading firsts are pushing for the cup.
the way to look at it is the 4 conferance finalists will have picks 27,28,29,and 30. (or 26, 27 28 29 cant remeber if 30 is second round or not) so those picks would have only been second rounders way back when, and its not like drafts have gotten much deeper. a late first round pick is really not worth that much.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Also, it is considered a weak draft by other year's standards so i definitely think that plays a factor.

Once again, this year's draft is not a weak draft. The draft does not have a Sidney Crosby/Alexander Ovechkin at the top of the draft that can make an immediate impact. Everyone in this draft is about 2 to 4 years away from making an impact.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Let's say, restricted free agents. Couldn't the Blues take two of the 1sts they have, their own second, and Atlanta's 3rd and throw 5 million bucks at say Thomas Vanek. Buffalo has two high profile UFAs and not alot of room to work with. By doing this, the Blues would either get the high profile young sniper that they need and could generate a buzz or the Sabres match and basically ensure that they won't be able to bring back their UFAs

Actually I don't think they pick the draft picks...I think the league compensates through next year's draft and so...

Plager05

Mar 17, 2002
Sewers
Visit site
Once again, this year's draft is not a weak draft. The draft does not have a Sidney Crosby/Alexander Ovechkin at the top of the draft that can make an immediate impact. Everyone in this draft is about 2 to 4 years away from making an impact.

Drafts like this are more fun. There will probably be a couple of guys from it that come out of the woodwork and make their teams and it could be anyone in the 1st round.

FanaticalFan

Jun 14, 2002
Visit site

While Clark proved that there may be more of that in the new CBA there is several problem with you analogy. I believe the NHL decides the pick and though I’m not 100% I believe they must be your picks. Though they might be considers in the NHL eyes. The problem is timing, the draft is in June Free agency doesn’t start tell July those picks are spent by the time RFA come to market. A team would have to get fist rounds for the following draft. And though it’s possible, GM don't usually think of trading first round picks that far in advance.

itshomerdoh

Jul 26, 2005

I believe that when compensating teams for signing their RFA's you have to use your own picks. Check your thread on the Blues board, someone already pointed it out with a source.

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I think it is absolute indication of the lack of star power in this draft. Especially after you get by the first few picks. It's the teams with excellent scouting records that are tossing away the picks. That has to tell you something.

speeds

Feb 27, 2002
St.Albert
Visit site
I believe that when compensating teams for signing their RFA's you have to use your own picks. Check your thread on the Blues board, someone already pointed it out with a source.

yup, you have to use your own draft picks. Not only that, but the picks would be 2008 and beyond since the 2007 draft occurs before free agency.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad