1st Rd Mock Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattScott

This is based on team needs and best player available... And of course personal preference. I'm a Habs fan so forgive me if I've incorrectly assessed your team's needs. Plus I added in a few surprise picks intentionally, since they always happen.

1. Washington - Alexander Ovechkin

-Sure fire #1, this is Ovechkin's draft and Washington are more than happy to keep it that way.

2. Pittsburgh - Evgeny Malkin

-Like Ovechkin, Malkin is #2. Pittsburgh is thrilled to get that franchise center who can one day, hopefully fill the massive shoes of Mario.

3. Chicago - Cam Barker

-With very little on their blueline right now, Chicago hopes that Barker can be their ace within a few years. With guys like Ruutu, Bell, Arnason and company the Hawks have ample talented youth upfront already, leading them to prefer Barker over Tukonen or Olesz.

4. Columbus - Rostislav Olesz

-With super talented wingers like Zherdev and Nash, C-Bus are hoping Olesz can one day complete the trio to be one of the game's most devistating lines.

5. Phoenix - Lauri Tukonen

-Despite rumours of being highly interested in Montoya, the Yotes remained confident in LeNeveu and decided to go with the super talented Finn, Tukonen, who they felt was the best player available.

6. NY Rangers - Alexander Radulov

-In true Sather fashion he ignores ego or character problems and looks soley upon talent. Radulov is the most talented player available at the 6 spot, and Slats snap him up hoping he can be their sniper of the future.

7. Florida - Andrew Ladd

-With his first pick as GM of the Panthers, Keenan brings strength and talent in Ladd. Ladd was rated as the top NA skater and should be a great two way power, Martin and Keenan are excited he slipped this far as drafting a soft euro was out of the picture for Iron Mike.

8. Carolina - AJ Thelen

-The Canes, desperate for a stud on the blueline hope that AJ can bring them just that. With potential to be a force at both ends of the ice, the Canes play to their crowd by selecting by team need.

9. Anaheim - Andrej Meszaros

-The surprise this far in the draft, Anaheim takes a chance on the offensively gifted Meszaros. The Ducks were eyeing d-men all along, but no one expected Meszaros to be the one. As one of only 2 draftees to play in the WC's this year, the Ducks hope that Meszaros can be a solid two way top pairing d-man in the near future.

10. Atlanta - Robbie Schremp

-The Thrashers possess some of the brightest young talents in the game. Because of this they can take the risk of selecting one of the biggest boom or bust picks of the draft. Robbie Schremp is no doubt one of the most talented players in the draft, but rumours of character problems allowed him to slip this far, but no further.

11. Los Angeles - Marek Schwarz

-The Kings do the expected and draft by need. But more likely than not, they also drafted the best player available. With prior teams already solid with young goaltenders in the system, Schwarz was able to slip to the 11 spot, much to LA's delight. Although much smaller and more unorthadox than Montoya, Schwarz is lightning quick and refuses to quit, they feel he will be their undesputed #1 sooner rather than later.

12. Minnesota - Al Montoya

-With Roloson's career winding down and Fernandez unable to emerge as a true #1, the Wild look to solidify their goaltending for the future. Montoya is a big game goalie who is just starting to find his game. The Wild now possess 2 of the main reasons why the US won gold at the WJC's this year.

13. Buffalo - Ladislav Smid

-The Sabres possess a solid core of young forwards, but aside from Kalinin, their defense depth is minimal. They hope that Smid can be their powerplay quarterback of the future and a great blueliner in both ends.

14. Edmonton - Alexandre Picard

-The Oil like em tough, they like em fast, and for some reason they like em French. Like Pouliot last year, the Oilers select from the Q for their first rounder and take the big and talented Picard who they hope will be a force for them for many years to come. Timmins and Savard are seen smashing their heads against the table at the Habs quarters.

15. Nashville - Drew Stafford

-The Preds, a team that focus on defense, grit and smarts before pure offensive talent are no surprise to take Stafford. They hope that Stafford can be a strong 2nd liner for them for a long time.

16. NY Islanders - Boris Valabik

-The Islanders are torn between two D left at the 16 hole, but Milbury just can't help himself but to fix an old mistake. He goes with the lesser talented of available defensemen, but gigantic Boris Valabik who stands 6'7". Milbury hopes that Valabik can be the next Chara, unfortunately he'll still need the next Spezza, Bertuzzi and Luongo to sleep soundly.

17. St Louis - Wojtek Wolski

-The Blues held out hope that one of Schwarz or Montoya would slide to the 17th spot, but sadly they did not. After shopping the pick around for a while they slowly make their way to the draft table and select Wojtek Wolski. With very little in the way of left wing prospect depth, the Blues hope Wolski can be a big producer for them in the post Tkachuk era.

18. Montreal - Kyle Chipchura

-Timmins, Gainey, Julien and Savard are left speechless as all of the top 15 skaters on their master list are taken by the time their pick rolls around. Timmins makes a hard bid for Korpikoski, while Savard prefers Fransson. Julien boasts Green as the man to pick, but Gainey loves Chipchura and it is his team after all. After a long debate and several calls around the building in attempts to find a trade. Gainey selects the big two way center Kyle Chipchura who he believes will be a dominant force in both ends one day.

19. Calgary - Enver Lisin

-Lisin is super fast and very talented. The Flames are a great grit team with ample defense depth, but they lack serious talent upfront, they hope Lisin can fill that void. Fitting the team mold being a great skater, Sutter is willing to look past Lisin's rumoured lack of hockey sense due to his strong talents.

20. Dallas - Lauri Korpikoski

-The Stars get their man. Dallas is very confident in their Finnish scouts who were extremely high on Korps. They feared the Habs would scoop him at the 18th spot and within minutes of the Flames pick they select Lauri.

21. Colorado - Mike Green

-The Avs are extremely pleased to see Green slip all the way to their spot. Lacking really, any prospect depth, the Avs could have chosen from any position, but their greatest need is at defense. Green should be a strong blueliner for them, and they'll sure need it.

22. New Jersey - David Bolland

-The Devils showed last season they aren't afraid to take a risk on smallish but talented players. Bolland doesn't have the skill of Parise, but at 5'11" 170lbs, he isnt the biggest guy. Bolland proved to be a playoff performer out playing teammate Robbie Schremp in the OHL playoffs, something that is very important if you're a Devil.

23. Ottawa - Devan Dubnyk

-The Senators are in need of a big time goalie, and they feel Dubnyk can be just that. at 6'6" Dubes is huge, and very fast for his large stature. Muckler felt as if he had enough talent at all other positions and it was time to solidify his goaltending.

24. NY Rangers - Jeff Schultz

-After taking Radulov with their first pick, the Rags were looking toward defense with their second. They feel that the 6'6" blueliner Schultz will be a force for them along with Tyutin and Pock for many years. Although he often doesn't use his great size, the Sather felt as if Schultz was the best D available.

25. Edmonton - Blake Wheeler

-With 1 first already under their belt, Lowe felt he could take a risk with his second choice. Going with US highschool right winger Blake Wheeler. Wheeler as the potential to be a scoring star in the league, but it's uncertain how he'll actually do against strong opposition.

26. Vancouver - Mark Fistric

-The Canucks make the biggest surprise pick of the draft taking cross town junior d-man Fistric. Fistric might just be the best defensive d-man in the entire draft. He's big, tough and mean, new GM Dave Nonis had more than a close look at this rough blueliner as he played for the Giants last season.

27. Washington - Jakub Sindel

-Washington take Sindel with their 2nd of 3 first rounders. They feel that Sindel's playmaking skills could go hand in hand with Ovechkin's sniping ability.

28. San Jose Sharks - Travis Zajac

-The Sharks surprise nobody taking another western Canadian player, but taking Zajac this early is a pretty big gamble. The BCHL scoring star for Salmon Arm this year has great size and talent, the Sharks hope he can be a great #2 center for them.

29. Washington - Wes O'Neill

-The Capitals defense is a mess, other than Eminger and Yonkman they have very little in the way of defense of the future. With the selection of O'Neill they hope he can become a solid #2-4 defenseman for them.

30. Tampa Bay - Roman Voloshenko

-The cup champions can afford to take a bit of a risk, and they do so selecting Voloshenko. Volo is a right shooting left winger with great speed and playmaking abilities. The knock on Roman is said to be that he is a bit undisciplined at times, but if you ask the Bolts they'd just say that's playing with an edge.

Other notables: Petteri Nokelainen, Johan Fransson, Cory Schneider, Lukas Kaspar, Viktor Alexandrov, Carl Soderberg, Adam Pineault.

DW

May 3, 2003
MN
Visit site
With Roloson's career winding down

Huh? It's actually going the other way but I don't see the ceiling getting better for him then it was last year. It doesn't mean he drops off the face of the earth either. I just don't see the need for Montoya when the market will be flooded with goalies for years to come. Maybe all of them not with tremendous potential, but not chopped liver either. Montoya's not safe enough to be a franchise goalie so why touch him when supposedly the 6-20 someithing picks are realitively equal?

The Wild will go forward like they should. Too many good potential forwards still left on this mock to take with this pick instead of grasping for a goalie in the early round when one could be had in the later rounds. Scoring is a premium for this team, has been and will be for some time. I'm not really disgusted with this pick, I just don't see picking him. Fleury or Lehtonen is one thing, but this is Alvaro Montoya here.

MattScott

DW said:
Huh? It's actually going the other way but I don't see the ceiling getting better for him then it was last year. It doesn't mean he drops off the face of the earth either. I just don't see the need for Montoya when the market will be flooded with goalies for years to come. Maybe all of them not with tremendous potential, but not chopped liver either. Montoya's not safe enough to be a franchise goalie so why touch him when supposedly the 6-20 someithing picks are realitively equal?

The Wild will go forward like they should. Too many good potential forwards still left on this mock to take with this pick instead of grasping for a goalie in the early round when one could be had in the later rounds. Scoring is a premium for this team, has been and will be for some time. I'm not really disgusted with this pick, I just don't see picking him. Fleury or Lehtonen is one thing, but this is Alvaro Montoya here.

What I meant by Roloson's career winding down is that the guy will be 35 years old this fall. He will not play at a high level forever, I wouldn't expect him to be a top starter for anymore than another 3-4 years, at which time a guy like Montoya will just be rounding into top form. I think this season would be a good one for the Wild to take a goalie if one of the two top guys is still available, considering it isn't the deepest draft, and the fact that they could use one for the future.

MattScott

King Henry I said:
Unless they trade Hammer or Aucoin, I think that the Isles take Wojtec Wolski if they have the chance.
You're talking about Mad Mike here, unpredictable is an understatement with him... It's been a few years since he made an amazing splash concerning a draft, so maybe he'll trade up for the 1st overall pick and decide to take Olesz.

gameface

May 30, 2004
Maple Ridge, BC
MattScott said:
26. Vancouver - Mark Fistric

-The Canucks make the biggest surprise pick of the draft taking cross town junior d-man Fistric. Fistric might just be the best defensive d-man in the entire draft. He's big, tough and mean, new GM Dave Nonis had more than a close look at this rough blueliner as he played for the Giants last season.

You know, I'd never really considered this before. I've seen him play for the Giants. He won't make anybody forget Paul Coffey (as far as points production, not defence :) ), but he would definitely bring something to the table. It's a bit much to put him in the same league as, say, Scott Stevens, but he is definitely a bit ornery. The Canucks have a pretty good clue about what he plays like, and he's definitely not there when the Canucks pick next. CSB has him at #19 in North America, so it's probably not a huge stretch. Just not many people thought of it, including me.

There are a few guys I'd rather see drop to the Canucks, but come draft day, who really knows? I do know that I'd take Fistric before any of the guys you have after him.

Good job overall!

thestonedkoala

We got Harding for now and then Holmqvist (backup I know but still is useful), we'll take another goalie in another round.

MattScott

gameface said:
You know, I'd never really considered this before. I've seen him play for the Giants. He won't make anybody forget Paul Coffey (as far as points production, not defence :) ), but he would definitely bring something to the table. It's a bit much to put him in the same league as, say, Scott Stevens, but he is definitely a bit ornery. The Canucks have a pretty good clue about what he plays like, and he's definitely not there when the Canucks pick next. CSB has him at #19 in North America, so it's probably not a huge stretch. Just not many people thought of it, including me.

There are a few guys I'd rather see drop to the Canucks, but come draft day, who really knows? I do know that I'd take Fistric before any of the guys you have after him.

Good job overall!

Countless boring nights at work with the Giants games on the radio made me a firm believer that Fistric will be a very good defenseman in the NHL one day. I'm probably a little biased on him, but that's what led me to believe that possibly Nonis and the Nucks brass are aswell. Every year you see surprises, and often you see team's picking from their home junior teams. This happened last year with Montreal taking both of their 2nd round choices from the Montreal Rocket, the one team that GM Andre Savard had a really good look at. We'll see what happens.

Safir*

Ottawa will not draft a goaltender in the first round. We are already have Emery and Thompson.

Apr 4, 2003
Embrun, ON
TomACE said:
Ottawa will not draft a goaltender in the first round. We are already have Emery and Thompson.

...and just signed Kelly Guard to a 3 year contract. I don't think the Sens will draft a goalie in the first round either, but stranger things have happened.

Ismellofhockey

Mar 31, 2002
Visit site
I like the way you bring us through the minds of each team's personnel as they take the decision, the question I ask you now is:

- How many sips of coffee did Gainey have to take while his assistant and player personnel director fought over who to pick?

And a followup question:

- Was it a Starbucks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->