Confirmed with Link: 1st Overall - Aaron Ekblad (signed 9/3/14)

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
I've definitely been far more impressed with Ekblad than I was with either of Barkov's or Huberdeau's rookie season.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
If we somehow added McDavid, we'd have the absolute best young core in hockey. McDavid+Ekblad combo alone would be top card right off the bat. A generational pair. It could/would save this franchise from obscurity.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
If we somehow added McDavid, we'd have the absolute best young core in hockey. McDavid+Ekblad combo alone would be top card right off the bat. A generational pair. It could/would save this franchise from obscurity.

While I don't believe McDavid is necessary for this team to be successful, it would be so awesome. I'm just salivating thinking of a top 6 like...

Huberdeau-McDavid-Grimaldi
Bjugstad-Barkov-Pirri

That would be so dangerous.

Aksu

all hail Barky
Nov 10, 2013
Florida
While I don't believe McDavid is necessary for this team to be successful, it would be so awesome. I'm just salivating thinking of a top 6 like...

Huberdeau-McDavid-Grimaldi
Bjugstad-Barkov-Pirri

That would be so dangerous.

That top 6 would be one of the best in the league in a couple years. But to be realistic, we're not going to get McDavid (atleast hopefully, even though Id loooove to have him) because we're not tanking. My prediction is that we're going to fight for a playoff spot and just miss the wildcard spot by a point or two. We're going to get a really good player with our 10-15th pick though, so its not like we're going to leave the draft empty handed.

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
One thing else I've noticed about Ekblad that I like is he isn't afraid to mix it up. He's got more grit than I thought he'd have. I don't want to see him fight like Guds but I like that he sticks up for himself.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
That top 6 would be one of the best in the league in a couple years. But to be realistic, we're not going to get McDavid (atleast hopefully, even though Id loooove to have him) because we're not tanking. My prediction is that we're going to fight for a playoff spot and just miss the wildcard spot by a point or two. We're going to get a really good player with our 10-15th pick though, so its not like we're going to leave the draft empty handed.

That is my prediction as well. Which will be a big improvement on the last two seasons!

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Ekblad will not be ready for top minutes, silly to argue otherwise ...I'll be laughing at you guys forever about that.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
Ekblad will not be ready for top minutes, silly to argue otherwise ...I'll be laughing at you guys forever about that.

I never made that argument myself. However, don't get ahead of yourself. It's very early and sure he looks great. So did Huberdeau, then Barkov. Furthermore, his minutes wouldn't really qualify as top minutes right now. He's getting sheltered some with some favorable O zone starts, weak competition, and very good linemates.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
I never made that argument myself. However, don't get ahead of yourself. It's very early and sure he looks great. So did Huberdeau, then Barkov. Furthermore, his minutes wouldn't really qualify as top minutes right now. He's getting sheltered some with some favorable O zone starts, weak competition, and very good linemates.

That's how it's supposed to be. It's a shame they couldn't surround the young guys on offense with some good players.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Islander fan here. Ekblad... Wow he is something special. Really impressed. Well deserved for everything Panther fans have had to endure.

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stat...+3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67

the most interesting stat is how impactful gudbranson is on the sv%

And that's where the eye test can fail.

I like to think I'm a pretty keen eye and I know D and defense development but I would never have thought Gudbranson was that effective in his own end. He often looks like a disaster - but apparently he's an effective disaster.

Ekblad took it to another level tonight. If he's just getting comfortable this could get interesting. And I just know he's got some big hits in him still that we haven't really seen. As hard as Guds and Petro can bang Ek is going to be an even bigger terror.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
crazy how he's just 18 years old :laugh: crazy to think then when he turns 25, just 25 years old, he'll have 7 years of nhl experience at that point. if he's this good entering the league as a 18 year old, imagine in 5-7 years.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
crazy how he's just 18 years old :laugh: crazy to think then when he turns 25, just 25 years old, he'll have 7 years of nhl experience at that point. if he's this good entering the league as a 18 year old, imagine in 5-7 years.

whoa, trippy :laugh: it's a very small sample size, but oh my ****ing god do i hope this is our superstar-1#D in the future.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Oiler fan here, so jealous of you guys getting a guy who steps in at 18 on D and plays top minutes instantly. The last time we saw that was Doughty, seemed to work out OK for LA. Can't believe people were trying to pick apart his game leading up to the draft, as though people are so scared to draft a defenceman high they feel they need to justify passing on one by creating a reason not to. Congrats, you guys have your franchise player (not to take away from Huberdeau, Barkov, Bjugstad, but they don't seem to have the presence a guy like Ekblad has).

Speaking of the other guys I mentioned, I don't get to see many Panthers games, but what gives (offensively)? Is it coaching? Opportunity? Slumps to start the year where they aren't getting a bounce? Really thought all of those guys were poised for a breakout year.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
Oiler fan here, so jealous of you guys getting a guy who steps in at 18 on D and plays top minutes instantly. The last time we saw that was Doughty, seemed to work out OK for LA. Can't believe people were trying to pick apart his game leading up to the draft, as though people are so scared to draft a defenceman high they feel they need to justify passing on one by creating a reason not to. Congrats, you guys have your franchise player (not to take away from Huberdeau, Barkov, Bjugstad, but they don't seem to have the presence a guy like Ekblad has).

Speaking of the other guys I mentioned, I don't get to see many Panthers games, but what gives (offensively)? Is it coaching? Opportunity? Slumps to start the year where they aren't getting a bounce? Really thought all of those guys were poised for a breakout year.

It's hard to tell what's wrong with our young guys offense. You'll get different opinions depending on who you ask here. The "B" word is a no-no round here. They haven't just been bad. They have all been mostly 1 to 3 points on the season bad. There is a problem somewhere.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013

A lot of it a lack of line stability and roles. Lines (4th line excluded) have been shuffling personell due to injuries. Lines haven't been together for more than 3 games. That and the line roles have been fluid (Barkov has been the shutdown role without Bolland). Team is getting healthy so we'll see another shuffle and lines should stabilize. Also team shooting % was very low (~3%) and now is starting to normalize, which the guys are starting to put up points.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA

:laugh: So much wrong with this post, especially everything after the first sentence, except for the 'It's very early and he looks great'. I found myself typing a whole bit, finding that I left some out, erasing, starting again…
How bout this- He ain't Huberdeau and he ain't Barkov and he ain't anyone but Aaron Ekblad…welcome to the laughed at group my dude!! Kid's only gonna get better and better, he's not a fluke, and there's easy explanations for why.

Last edited:

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
:laugh: So much wrong with this post, especially everything after the first sentence, except for the 'It's very early and he looks great'. I found myself typing a whole bit, finding that I left some out, erasing, starting again…
How bout this- He ain't Huberdeau and he ain't Barkov and he ain't anyone but Aaron Ekblad…welcome to the laughed at group!! Kid's only gonna get better and better, he's not a fluke and there's easy explanations for why.

OK, if basing an argument off of legitimate statistics and facts places me in the "laughed at group" then I'll gladly join them. He is great and will be great but he isn't exactly playing "top minutes". Kulikov and Mitchell have gotten those assignments this season. All I'm saying is its early and he will undoubtedly have his growing pains.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
How bout this- He ain't Huberdeau and he ain't Barkov and he ain't anyone but Aaron Ekblad…welcome to the laughed at group my dude!! Kid's only gonna get better and better, he's not a fluke, and there's easy explanations for why.

While I love Ekblad there's always the Panthers prospect curse. Do you remember how high we were with Huberdeau 2 years ago or how about with Barkov last year? Barkov was praised as such a mature player for his age and all the skills and whatnot. While i'm not writing Barkov off he just seems to be missing IT this season and Hubs has been missing it for 1+ seasons now. What's not to say Ekblad will run into the curse next season?

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
While I love Ekblad there's always the Panthers prospect curse. Do you remember how high we were with Huberdeau 2 years ago or how about with Barkov last year? Barkov was praised as such a mature player for his age and all the skills and whatnot. While i'm not writing Barkov off he just seems to be missing IT this season and Hubs has been missing it for 1+ seasons now. What's not to say Ekblad will run into the curse next season?

That is a fair point. Although Barkov seems to have found 'it' again in the last couple of games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->