1st ballot Hall of Famers

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
With the recent discussion around Sedins and their potential future entry into the HHOF (with many saying they'll be 1st ballot Hall of Famers), let's take a look at players who have been inducted into the Hall of Fame at their first year of eligibility. Before we look at that, lets take a look at players who had the three-year waiting period lifted for them (something that is no longer possible unless under 'certain humanitarian circumstances'):

1999: Wayne Gretzky
1997: Mario Lemieux
1979: Bobby Orr
1972: Jean Beliveau & Gordie Howe
1971: Terry Sawchuk
1969: Red Kelly
1966: Ted Lindsay
1961: Maurice Richard
1947: Dit Clapper

- Both Howe and Lemieux made a comeback after being inducted into the HHOF.
- While the timing of their announcement of retirement may have varied (which would reflect on what is being said afterwards here), here's how fast these players were inducted into the HHOF:
Gretzky/Lemieux/Orr/Clapper got in the same year of their retirement;
Beliveau/Howe/Sawchuk/Lindsay/Richard got in the year after their retirement (in Sawchuk's case, a year after he passed away);
Kelly got in two years after his retirement.

As noted above, the timing of retirement can alter those timelines. For example Maurice Richard announced his retirement just before 1960-61 season so the HHOF class of 1960 was probably announced by then already. Therefore he can be counted in as a player who got inducted right away.

The usual waiting period however is three years. Here's the list of players who have gotten in the first year of their eligibility:

2018: Martin Brodeur & Martin St.Louis
2017: Teemu Selänne
2016: -
2015: Sergei Fedorov, Nicklas Lidström & Chris Pronger
2014: Peter Forsberg, Dominik Hasek & Mike Modano
2013: Chris Chelios & Scott Niedermayer
2012: Joe Sakic & Mats Sundin
2011: Ed Belfour
2010: -
2009: Brett Hull, Brian Leetch, Luc Robitaille & Steve Yzerman
2008: -
2007: Ron Francis, Al MacInnis, Mark Messier & Scott Stevens
2006: Patrick Roy
2005: -
2004: Ray Bourque, Paul Coffey & Larry Murphy
2003: Grant Fuhr
2002: -
2001: Slava Fetisov, Mike Gartner & Jari Kurri
2000: Joe Mullen & Denis Savard
1999: -
1998: Peter Stastny
1997: Bryan Trottier
1996: Börje Salming
1995: Larry Robinson
1994: -
1993: -
1992: Marcel Dionne, Bob Gainey & Lanny McDonald
1991: Mike Bossy & Denis Potvin
1990: Gilbert Perreault
1989: -
1988: Guy Lafleur & Brad Park
1987: Bobby Clarke
1986: Serge Savard
1985: -
1984: Phil Esposito & Jacques Lemaire
1983: Bobby Hull & Stan Mikita
1982: Yvan Cournoyer
1981: John Bucyk & Frank Mahovlich
1980: -
1979: Harry Howell
1978: Jacques Plante
1977: Alex Delvecchio & Tim Horton
(none before 1977)

- Lafleur made a comeback after being inducted into the HHOF.
- Bossy played his last games in 1986-87 season but formally announced his retirement in the fall of 1988, therefore he made it into the HHOF in his first year of eligibility.
- 1st ballot Hall of Famers without a Stanley Cup: Howell, Park, Perreault, Dionne, Salming, Stastny, Gartner & Sundin.

- Eddie Shore got inducted in 1947. He played his final NHL game in 1939-40 season, then played two seasons in AHL, did not play in 1942-43 and played one game in AHL in 1943-44 season. So he did get inducted into the HHOF three years after his final professional game but I'm not sure if he should be counted as 1st ballot Hall of Famer or not. Not sure how his retirement got counted back in those days, or even if they had the three year wait period back then already.

Last edited:

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
A look at future 1st ballot Hall of Famers in the next few years:

2018:
Martin Brodeur
- A lock to make it in this year at his first go. Has all the credentials to be a 1st ballot Hall of Famer.

Martin St.Louis
- A Stanley Cup, 2x Art Rosses, a Hart, a Pearson, 5x All-Star, 3x Lady Byng and 1000+ points. Will definitely be a Hall of Famer eventually and most likely at first go. Simply has a much better trophy case than anyone else still looking for their entry into the HHOF.

2019: No one?
- Patrik Elias is probably the best first time eligible player but he really shouldn't be a 1st ballot Hall of Famer, just like Daniel Alfredsson for example wasn't last year. They may and probably will get in eventually but should have to wait some time.

2020:
Jarome Iginla
- Still hasn't officially announced his retirement but did not play anywhere this season. No Stanley Cup but has every other credential to be a 1st ballot Hall of Famer.

2021:
Jaromir Jagr?
- A lock to make it in HHOF in 2021 if he retires this year.

Joe Thornton?

Henrik and Daniel Sedin
- They will make it into the HHOF eventually, just a matter of whether it happens in 2021 or later. If Jagr and Thornton are also eligible, they will make it in before Sedins. That may mean Sedins will have to wait additional year if HHOF wants to introduce someone who have waited for their turn, otherwise it can be a case of four 1st ballot Hall of Famers this year. Iginla's eligibility year may also play a part here. If he retires officially this year, will 2020 or 2021 will be his 1st eligibility year. If Jagr, Thornton, Iginla and Sedins are all first time eligibles in 2021, Sedins will have to wait additional year.

Reactions: KingTrouty

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
A look at future 1st ballot Hall of Famers in the next few years:

2018:
Martin Brodeur
- A lock to make it in this year at his first go. Has all the credentials to be a 1st ballot Hall of Famer.

Martin St.Louis
- A Stanley Cup, 2x Art Rosses, a Hart, a Pearson, 5x All-Star, 3x Lady Byng and 1000+ points. Will definitely be a Hall of Famer eventually and most likely at first go. Simply has a much better trophy case than anyone else still looking for their entry into the HHOF.

2019: No one?
- Patrik Elias is probably the best first time eligible player but he really shouldn't be a 1st ballot Hall of Famer, just like Daniel Alfredsson for example wasn't last year. They may and probably will get in eventually but should have to wait some time.

2020:
Jarome Iginla
- Still hasn't officially announced his retirement but did not play anywhere this season. No Stanley Cup but has every other credential to be a 1st ballot Hall of Famer.

2021:
Jaromir Jagr?

Joe Thornton?

Henrik and Daniel Sedin
- They will make it into the HHOF eventually, just a matter of whether it happens in 2021 or later. If Jagr and Thornton are also eligible, they will make it in before Sedins. That may mean Sedins will have to wait additional year if HHOF wants to introduce someone who have waited for their turn, otherwise it can be a case of four 1st ballot Hall of Famers this year. Iginla's eligibility year may also play a part here. If he retires officially this year, will 2020 or 2021 will be his 1st eligibility year. If Jagr, Thornton, Iginla and Sedins are all first time eligibles in 2021, Sedins will have to wait additional year.

whenever Chara retires, he's a lock 1st ballot

Reactions: Iceman

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
I’ve always felt Datsyuk would be a first ballot whenever he retires, maybe 2022-2023? I mean he’s almost 40. Also Hossa isn’t getting any younger and missed the entire season, he may be in the same class down the road.

Also other names to look for....maybe not the most worthy bunch, but the Hall is spreading thin on “worthy” talent as it is...
-Turgeon
-Brind’Amour
-Roenick
-Alfredsson
-Tkachuk
-Mogilny
-Barrasso
-Fluery
-Nicholls
-Lamar(?)
-Joseph(?)

Admiral Awesome

Jun 8, 2015
I’ve always felt Datsyuk would be a first ballot whenever he retires, maybe 2022-2023? I mean he’s almost 40. Also Hossa isn’t getting any younger and missed the entire season, he may be in the same class down the road.

Also other names to look for....maybe not the most worthy bunch, but the Hall is spreading thin on “worthy” talent as it is...
-Turgeon
-Brind’Amour
-Roenick
-Alfredsson
-Tkachuk
-Mogilny
-Barrasso
-Fluery
-Nicholls
-Lamar(?)
-Joseph(?)
Add Peter Bondra to that list.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
-Turgeon
-Brind’Amour
-Roenick
-Alfredsson
-Tkachuk
-Mogilny
-Barrasso
-Fluery
-Nicholls
-Lamar(?)
-Joseph(?)

Add Peter Bondra to that list.

None of those are 1st ballot Hall of Famers. That ship has already sailed with them. Even if they make it into the HHOF eventually, they don't belong in this discussion.

Chara and Datsyuk are couple of other future 1st ballot Hall of Famers but their playing careers may continue with atleast a few more seasons so it will take some time before they'll be 1st time eligibles.

Hossa - we'll see whether he gets the same special treatment as Chris Pronger got, meaning while still technically 'active' player as he has a NHL-contract, they'll count him as retired from the point the basically became LTIRetired. If they do, that would mean Hossa would be 1st time eligible in 2020. And even if they do, Hossa can be a good example as to where to draw the line between a 1st ballot Hall of Famer and those who will have to wait atleast an additional year. While Hossa has the Stanley Cups, 1100+ point and almost 150 playoff points, he's lacking in any individual hardware and was only twice in top-10 in scoring. And even though as widely recognised as one of the best two-way wingers in the game, he only got two top-10 finishes in Selke-voting in his career and wasn't ever a finalist for Selke Trophy. So I don't know about Hossa as 1st ballot Hall of Famer. Will get in eventually but at first go?

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The usual waiting period however is three years. Here's the list of players who have gotten in the first year of their eligibility:
2003: Grant Fuhr
2000: Joe Mullen & Denis Savard
1982: Yvan Cournoyer
1981: John Bucyk & Frank Mahovlich
In terms of 1st year of eligibility induction, some years had weaker options apparently.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
None of those are 1st ballot Hall of Famers. That ship has already sailed with them. Even if they make it into the HHOF eventually, they don't belong in this discussion.

Chara and Datsyuk are couple of other future 1st ballot Hall of Famers but their playing careers may continue with atleast a few more seasons so it will take some time before they'll be 1st time eligibles.

Hossa - we'll see whether he gets the same special treatment as Chris Pronger got, meaning while still technically 'active' player as he has a NHL-contract, they'll count him as retired from the point the basically became LTIRetired. If they do, that would mean Hossa would be 1st time eligible in 2020. And even if they do, Hossa can be a good example as to where to draw the line between a 1st ballot Hall of Famer and those who will have to wait atleast an additional year. While Hossa has the Stanley Cups, 1100+ point and almost 150 playoff points, he's lacking in any individual hardware and was only twice in top-10 in scoring. And even though as widely recognised as one of the best two-way wingers in the game, he only got two top-10 finishes in Selke-voting in his career and wasn't ever a finalist for Selke Trophy. So I don't know about Hossa as 1st ballot Hall of Famer. Will get in eventually but at first go?
I would like to agree, but the fact is you shouldn’t be surprised if you see those names being inducted in the near future. Their aren’t to many HOF level players out there right now, which is why a lot of the last few inductions have been so stellar. A lot of those players will most likely get the call, it may not be the right move, but in the end the HOF isn’t going to be picky....as they have shown us before. Besides a majority of those names are more deserving than guys like Andreychuk, Housley, Niewendyke, or Ciccarelli.

Hossa is a 1st ballot, what he lacks in individual success he more than makes up for with his production and playoff success. Outside of the very impressive 500 goals and 1000 points, his peak/prime was very good. He sits 3rd in scoring, 2nd in goals, and 5th in assists among RWers, among sitting 4th in points and goals among all active forwards, and since ‘98. He also has 4 top 10 goal finishes among the 2 top ten finishes you mentioned. He may not have the flashiest stats or the hardware of some, but in the end he was one of the best right wingers in the league for a majority of his time playing, as well as being a solid and consistent overall player.

Not to mention as a Czech player, he is one of the most productive and most successful among them all. He sits 4th in points, 3rd in goals, and 5th in assists.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
I would like to agree, but the fact is you shouldn’t be surprised if you see those names being inducted in the near future. Their aren’t to many HOF level players out there right now, which is why a lot of the last few inductions have been so stellar. A lot of those players will most likely get the call, it may not be the right move, but in the end the HOF isn’t going to be picky....as they have shown us before. Besides a majority of those names are more deserving than guys like Andreychuk, Housley, Niewendyke, or Ciccarelli.

No, I'm not surprised if some of those guys make it in. Mogilny should already be there, Alfredsson should be inducted in the next few seasons etc. But as I said, they aren't 1st ballot Hall of Famers which I opened this thread about. None of them made it in the first time they become eligible, so that ship has sailed with them. Whether they eventually make it in or not, isn't relevant here.

You brought some good points regarding Hossa being a 1st ballot Hall of Famer. To me he's still on the cusp whether he's a 1st a ballot or one that needs to wait year or more. Probably will also depend who else will be 1st time eligible with him. And that will depend when he will be 1st time eligible (if he gets the special treatment Pronger got, or if he has to wait his contract to run out before the three year wait period begins).

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
No, I'm not surprised if some of those guys make it in. Mogilny should already be there, Alfredsson should be inducted in the next few seasons etc. But as I said, they aren't 1st ballot Hall of Famers which I opened this thread about. None of them made it in the first time they become eligible, so that ship has sailed with them. Whether they eventually make it in or not, isn't relevant here.

You brought some good points regarding Hossa being a 1st ballot Hall of Famer. To me he's still on the cusp whether he's a 1st a ballot or one that needs to wait year or more. Probably will also depend who else will be 1st time eligible with him. And that will depend when he will be 1st time eligible (if he gets the special treatment Pronger got, or if he has to wait his contract to run out before the three year wait period begins).
I see what your saying. I should have rephrased the way i listed those players, of course they aren’t first ballot, but maybe future HOFers.....no matter how much that makes people cringe.

You have a point. I just always felt he has always been somewhat of an under the radar kind of HOFer. His name carries a lot of weight, but never really got the notice or stature of other players that have a lot of HOF talk connected to them. I feel like his stanley cups pushed him over the edge for him. Without them he still has a shot, but maybe not as strong.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
There's too many players in the HHOF.The Sedins? Meh.

I think Mike Modano would be a good line in the sand for a reasonable HHOF.If it were me, it would be even more severe than that.Guess both those ships have sailed.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
There's too many players in the HHOF.The Sedins? Meh.

I think Mike Modano would be a good line in the sand for a reasonable HHOF.If it were me, it would be even more severe than that.Guess both those ships have sailed.

I'm with you. But it didn't go down that way. Sedins are getting in no doubt. Could see them being inducted in their first year of eligibility due to the story behind them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad