#1D play style preference

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
Which play style would you want for your number 1D?

Offensive Defenseman:

Best offensive defenseman in the league

Above average defensively

Two Way Defenseman:

Elite offensively

Elite defensively

Defensive Defenesman.

Above average offensively

Best defensive defenseman in the league

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Best offensive defenseman in the league

Best defensive defenseman in the league

Ie. Karlsson

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Gotta go with the two way guy. Why not have the best of both worlds? Plus there are a bunch of teams that run 4 forwards 1 Dman on the PP, so you really only need one guy who can distribute the puck, even if he isn't a stud in his own end.

A great two way dman, in my mind, can defend and make a great breakout pass. A guy on the back who can skate his way out of the zone and be a strong puck distributor is what you want as a #1. Someone who can contribute on the offensive but still be able to lock down the other team's top line

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Nope. Karlsson is and it's not even close.

I don't know if he's talking about Hedman literally or Hedman's style. I agree that Karlsson is indeed the best there is but I'd want Hedman type of defenseman as my 1D. You want your 1D to be elite in both ends of the ice.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
In this era of the NHL, if you're elite offensively and simply above average defensively you're in better condition. Considering how the motto for the league is to hold the puck a lot now, the guy playing forward the entire night versus the guy who's constantly coming back to defend even at the highest level will look significantly better.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
It depends on the player. How much better offensively is player 1 vs 2? How much worst defensively is he?

It's 1 or 2 not 3. But it depends.

Tv9924

Sep 16, 2012
Surrey, BC
So Karlsson vs Hedman vs Lindholm? Give me Karlsson. Even though the offensive player is only above average defensively his real defensive value is actually much higher because he, I assume, is the best transition player in the league. When he's on the ice the puck is in the offensive zone more than the defensive zone, resulting in fewer chances against. That's my understanding of this poll, at least.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad