1999 the year of the bust

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Ironchef Chris Wok said:
Barret Jackman was the best player taken that year.

I forgot about Jackman...he and Havlat were the only worthy to be in the 1st round that year. :) I consider Havlat at a higher level tho right now.

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
I´am very sad that Edmonton won´t give Jani Rita good chance. Level what he was when he draft they should give him more time in NHL. He isn´t that bad whit his AHL seasons. Look at what chance other teams have give other 1 round players and they don´t allways have that good points AHL what Rita has.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
monster_bertuzzi said:
Comrie and the Sedins as well.

I'm not sure about those. Comrie I think should've been a 2nd rounder. He was promising with Edmonton but this year I think he really hasn't been impressive. I guess all the trades and stuff may have affected him, but still.

Sedins have taken a while to develop but they seem to be getting much better. Probably late first rounders looking back.

islandnucker

Jan 24, 2003
ladysmith
Visit site
Ouellet sounds like he'll turn into a decent player, Saprykin seems to be turning the corner as well, and a teammate of his Leopold.

What about McCarthy? How has he turned out?

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Sting004 said:
I'm not sure about those. Comrie I think should've been a 2nd rounder. He was promising with Edmonton but this year I think he really hasn't been impressive. I guess all the trades and stuff may have affected him, but still.

Sedins have taken a while to develop but they seem to be getting much better. Probably late first rounders looking back.

First rounders dont have to be superstars. Comrie's already scored 30 goals in the NHL. He's worthy of a top 10 selection in any given draft IMO.

Ol' Dirty Chinaman*

Can somebody name players who have put up more points than either Sedin this season that are the same age or younger ?

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
slyc said:
It seems like 1999 is the year of the busts. It was supposed to be one of the best year of the 90's. Well take a look.
1 STEFAN (a can't miss player they said)
2 SEDIN (best thing since Sundin?)
3 SEDIN
4 BRENDL (the next sniper?)
5 CONNOLLY (offensively gifted yeah right!)
6 FINLEY
7 BEECH (was he supposed to replaced Oates?)
8 PYATT (the next power fwd à la Bertuzzi?)
9 LUNDMARK (another Sakic?)
10 MEZEI
you have to wait at pos 21(BOYNTON)and 26(HAVLAT) to see two decent talents.
I saw Shvidki during the pre-camp in Hull. I was so impressed by that guy. He just turn as a bust like the others. That year was a jinx for the juniors :dunno:

In fairness to Stefan, Sedins and anyone else that is playing regularly and contributing to their teams they can't be labelled busts. If you think they are disappointments in regards to their potential then that's fine but you can't call a player like Stefan a bust when he is probably going to have 10 year career in the NHL.
Would you call Mike Ricci a bust? He was projected to be a number one center and a big time scorer but he has played his 10+ years in the NHL as a checking center. :teach:

Last edited:

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Ol' Dirty Chinaman said:
Can somebody name players who have put up more points than either Sedin this season that are the same age or younger ?

Kovalchuk, Richards, Havlat, Ribeiro, Nash, Ryder, Spezza, Lecavalier, Erat, Frolov, Legwand, Vasicek, Gagne, Bell, Ruutu, Zetterberg.

I may be missing a few, I did a quick check.

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
Maxime Oullet was a nice choice by the Flyers at 22. Too bad we traded him away before he could ever play for us. Happy with Esche, though. On the opposite end of the scale, Branko Radovojevic is turning into a nice 3rd line-style player, and he was a late-3rd rounder.

CCF

This is the year....
Feb 8, 2003
Across Canada
The thing is with Daniel and Henrik is that they don't get sufficient ice time. They get less than the average icetime for second line players, which really hinders their production.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Vlad The Impaler said:
Kovalchuk, Richards, Havlat, Ribeiro, Nash, Ryder, Spezza, Lecavalier, Erat, Frolov, Legwand, Vasicek, Gagne, Bell, Ruutu, Zetterberg.

I may be missing a few, I did a quick check.

I think he meant outscored both Sedins, not just one of them ("than either" is ambiguous). In that case only a few guys outscored Daniel Sedin last year. Also, several players you listed are older than them (1998 picks).

Ol' Dirty Chinaman*

Flame_Star_Devil said:

Huh ?

He listed 16 players (and he's missing a couple, like Williams).

Out all the drafts that were done since 99, they are part of the 20 players that are getting regular icetime, putting up decent numbers, and are under the age of 23.

Daniel's +18, Henrik's +23 -- on an atrociously brain-farting defensive system Vancouver employs. They both have over 40 pts each, they get 3rd line icetime, they hardly get any time on the PP (30 secs) and they had a revolving door of wingers (King, Arvedsson, Brookbank, Sanderson, Linden).

So ... how can they be called busts again ? :dunno:

Unless you were one of the idiots that swallowed the hype.

and its pWNED noob.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dextrous*

1 STEFAN (a can't miss player they said)
2 SEDIN (best thing since Sundin?)
3 SEDIN
4 BRENDL (the next sniper?)
5 CONNOLLY (offensively gifted yeah right!)
6 FINLEY
7 BEECH (was he supposed to replaced Oates?)
8 PYATT (the next power fwd à la Bertuzzi?)
9 LUNDMARK (another Sakic?)
10 MEZEI

Beech will be in the burgh next year so we can see if he will start to play. Hes played well in the ahl this year. Stefan needs a new team to spark him. Havlat is the best player by quite a bit in this draft. He is extremely underrated(i live in ottawa but dont like the sens). But ya this is the worst draft is quite a while.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
CCF said:
The thing is with Daniel and Henrik is that they don't get sufficient ice time. They get less than the average icetime for second line players, which really hinders their production.

But the thing is, if they were really all that, they would be getting the ice time. They're about as good as they are, not great, but productive. Not worth the 2nd and 3rd overall picks, but in hindsight, 1999 was weak draft year.

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
Vlad The Impaler said:
Havlat is mucho better than Jackman.

As a scorer? You betcha.

But Jackman's a defenseman, and he's much more physical, and better in his own end, than Havlat ever thought about being. Besides, I've heard it said that it's harder (and takes longer) to develop a top defenseman than it is to develop a top scorer, and that a good home-grown defenseman is more valuable than a good home-grown scorer.

Both Havlat and Jackman are phenomenal talents; their skill sets are just in different areas.

PrussianBlue :blues

LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

May 15, 2003
Visit site
Ol' Dirty Chinaman said:
and its pWNED noob.
LOL....who cares..?? Yet another internet "tough" guy.....IMO I see the Sedin's as a bust because of their potential. When you look through previous drafts, a #2 pick should be a star player. Maybe not superstar but at least a star. Here are the top 5 picks for the 2 years, before the 1999 draft, and the 3 years after the 1999 draft.

Nash, Lehtonen, Boumeester, Pitkanen, Whitney.
Outclassed by everyone except IMO Whitney.
Kovalchuk, Spezza, Svitov, Weiss, Chistov.
Personally I would take any of these guys over either of the Sedins.
DiPietro, Heatley, Gaborik, Klesla, Torres.
Here I once again I would take all 5 of these guys over the Sedins.
Lecavalier, Legwand, Stuart, Allen, Vishnevsky.
Ok here I would take the Sedins over Allen and Vish.
Thorton, Marleau, Jokinen, Luongo, Brewer.
Once again all 5 I would rather have than the Sedins.

Now here are 5 years of top 5 picks. IMO all but 3 players are better than either of the Sedin brothers. I have nothing against them, but IMO I consider them busts IN COMPAIRISON to what they were hyped to be, and was drafted in relativly the same spots in other years.

Special Ed

Oct 9, 2002
C'ville PA
Visit site
Whitney's picked it up since he signed witih Pittsburgh and started playing in the AHL playoffs.

Also, as other have stated for Pittsburgh about '99.

1st Koltsov- worthy of being a first round, showed a lot this year.. not sure if the offensive production will ever be terrific, but should be a 50-60 point guy at worst in his best years, plus great speed adds so much to other aspects of his game
2nd Murley- started the year with the team.. went back down to the AHL.. will definetly play somewhere at sometime in the NHL
3rd Caron- at worst an NHL backup, at peak of career could be a starter on some teams
4th Malone- worthy of being a first rounder at least in the '99 draft, played very well this year, scoring 20+ goals in his first full pro-season and his first nhl-season
5th Maleynych- could be solid if he'd ever come over from Russia
(7th ?) Kostopolus- Tons of heart, good 3rd/4th liner right now

I don't remember who else was picked this year at the moment

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I don't think any Penguins fan will ever be able to say a bad thing about the 1999 draft.

Now if only the Caps picks that we have from that draft would do something...anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->