1999 the year of the bust

Status
Not open for further replies.

slyc

Sep 26, 2003
Cantley, Canada
www.live365.com
1999 the year of the busts

It seems like 1999 is the year of the busts. It was supposed to be one of the best year of the 90's. Well take a look.
1 STEFAN (a can't miss player they said)
2 SEDIN (best thing since Sundin?)
3 SEDIN
4 BRENDL (the next sniper?)
5 CONNOLLY (offensively gifted yeah right!)
6 FINLEY
7 BEECH (was he supposed to replaced Oates?)
8 PYATT (the next power fwd à la Bertuzzi?)
9 LUNDMARK (another Sakic?)
10 MEZEI
you have to wait at pos 21(BOYNTON)and 26(HAVLAT) to see two decent talents.
I saw Shvidki during the pre-camp in Hull. I was so impressed by that guy. He just turn as a bust like the others. That year was a jinx for the juniors :dunno:

pittengineer

Jan 1, 2004
slyc said:
It seems like 1999 is the year of the busts. It was supposed to be one of the best year of the 90's. Well take a look.
1 STEFAN (a can't miss player they said)
2 SEDIN (best thing since Sundin?)
3 SEDIN
4 BRENDL (the next sniper?)
5 CONNOLLY (offensively gifted yeah right!)
6 FINLEY
7 BEECH (was he supposed to replaced Oates?)
8 PYATT (the next power fwd à la Bertuzzi?)
9 LUNDMARK (another Sakic?)
10 MEZEI
you have to wait at pos 21(BOYNTON)and 26(HAVLAT) to see two decent talents.
I saw Shvidki during the pre-camp in Hull. I was so impressed by that guy. He just turn as a bust like the others. That year was a jinx for the junior :dunno:

Pens took a winner in Koltsov atleast.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Depends on what you're definition of bust is, really. There are still almost assuredly going to be a group of guys that will have pretty good, pretty long, NHL careers.

Not everyone is going to be a star.

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
I remember a couple months ago a topic about the 98 draftee's haivng their breakout years this year.

so while a lot of the 99 guys havn't fullfilled expectations some might breakout next year.

Munchausen

slyc said:
It seems also that 1999 was a bad year for Montreal. take a look.draft 1999

Awful is more like it. No 1st rounder and the rest is bad to abismal. Only Buturlin among those picks had a chance to pan out. He's still a decent player but decided to refuse Montreal's offer and go back to Russia. Thank god for Andre Savard.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I'd say Havlat was the only forward worthy of being in the first round that year.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
SSJTOM said:
I remember a couple months ago a topic about the 98 draftee's haivng their breakout years this year.

so while a lot of the 99 guys havn't fullfilled expectations some might breakout next year.
yeah, Ryder & Ribeiro for Montreal!

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Lundmark has never been given a proper opportunity being on the Rangers. That shouldn't be a problem now.

Ironchef Chris Wok*

Barret Jackman was the best player taken that year.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
slyc said:
It seems also that 1999 was a bad year for Montreal. take a look.draft 1999

Bad isn't the word, but at least it seems it was a good time to trade their 1st round pick, something I usually hate to see. I'd bet not one of their picks that year makes it to the NHL. Buturlin and Shasby with a very long shot, but I'd say that draft was a bomb. :bonk: :beatup:

TVanek26*

And how is Connolly not good offensively?45 point seasons as a 20 year old is nothing to sneeze at....Connolly has the most offensive potential from that draft....but it won't be in Buffalo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->