1997 All-Star Game: why was Recchi the POG instead of Nolan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masao

Nov 24, 2002
masaohf.atspace.com
Nolan made history that night with the "babe ruth" goal, plus I believe he also broke the records for two fastest goals. Not only that, but he did it all in front of his home team crowd!

Recchi also got a hat trick but his goals weren't really that spectacular and he just fed off Mark Messier the whole night.

So, uhm... why was Recchi and not Nolan the player of the game? I know the Eastern conference won, but that can't be the only reason, right? :dunno:

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
While we're complaining.. in 2002 I believe, Markus Naslund had 2G 1A and World won 6-4, but Eric Daze on the losing team with only 2 goals won MVP! What!

Masao

Nov 24, 2002
masaohf.atspace.com
Tricolore#20 said:
I can't remember either game, but could it be that the voters cast their votes before the game was over?

Possibly, seeing as though Nolan scored his 3rd goal near the end of the game... but voting before the game is over would be the stupidest thing ever.

Ogopogo*

Does anybody really care who the POG in an all-star game is? I guess some people do otherwise we wouldn't have a thread about it.

I stopped watching all star games back in 1992. They are played with the intensity of a beer league and really are not that entertaining at all. I don't think any of the players care about the POG there are just goofing around with the guys.

If any player wanted to be POG he could simply put some effort in and dominate. But, that would look hilarious when nobody else is trying.

Sorry for the rant. The all star game bores me.

Masao

Nov 24, 2002
masaohf.atspace.com
Ogopogo said:
Does anybody really care who the POG in an all-star game is? I guess some people do otherwise we wouldn't have a thread about it.

I stopped watching all star games back in 1992. They are played with the intensity of a beer league and really are not that entertaining at all. I don't think any of the players care about the POG there are just goofing around with the guys.

If any player wanted to be POG he could simply put some effort in and dominate. But, that would look hilarious when nobody else is trying.

Sorry for the rant. The all star game bores me.

Uh, I don't know... I think the all star game is one of the nicest events of the year. It's not because there's no hitting that it can't be spectacular. There's a lot of skill on the ice and it's wide open so you get to see a lot of nice plays and passes, etc.

Masao

Nov 24, 2002
masaohf.atspace.com
SSJTOM said:
I'm thought the Babe Ruth goal was during the skills competition.

Uh, no it was late in the third period. Hasek had been stopping everything and Nolan got frustrated like a dozen times trying to get his hat trick, then finally got it near the end of the game

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Masao said:
Nolan made history that night with the "babe ruth" goal, plus I believe he also broke the records for two fastest goals. Not only that, but he did it all in front of his home team crowd!

Recchi also got a hat trick but his goals weren't really that spectacular and he just fed off Mark Messier the whole night.

So, uhm... why was Recchi and not Nolan the player of the game? I know the Eastern conference won, but that can't be the only reason, right? :dunno:

2 things:

a) why do you even care?

b) Since I remember this (mainly cuz of nolan calling his shot against Hasek), I'll tell you what happened. Nolan did the majority of his damage very late in the game and the votes were already tabulated. Recchi was easily the the winner due to this.

Amen evil king

Apr 11, 2004
I still think Hasek deserved it... Perhaps the best period of goaltending I can ever remember seeing in my life.

IIRC, the commentators did say something at the time about how the voting was done before the end of the game, which might explain the decision.

Masao

Nov 24, 2002
masaohf.atspace.com
I don't get this whole voting done before the game ends thing... what's the point? I mean, they don't chose the three stars before the game ends in normal games as far as I know, so why would they chose the POG before the all star game ends? Makes no sense :dunno:

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Masao said:
I don't get this whole voting done before the game ends thing... what's the point? I mean, they don't chose the three stars before the game ends in normal games as far as I know, so why would they chose the POG before the all star game ends? Makes no sense :dunno:

I think it has to do with the American networks. It seems to me, they don't like to waste time after a game, and simply want to end the broadcast once the final horn sounds. Have you guys noticed that immediately after the game ends, the networks put up the end credits and flee?

Therefore, by having the vote before the game ends, they can show POG with a few minutes left, and then just scram after the final second.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Recchi had a hat trick for the winning team. Nolan had it for the losing team. Recchi also did his damage in the early parts of the game, while Nolan put up numbers late in the second/third periods when the contest was already decided.

KOVALEV10*

Is this the game where Hasek played incredible making like 20 saves or something in the third?

Masao

Nov 24, 2002
masaohf.atspace.com
KOVALEV10 said:
Is this the game where Hasek played incredible making like 20 saves or something in the third?

Yeah, and he stoned Nolan like 15 times trying to get a hat trick... then in the end of the game Nolan came, pointed and scored ala babe ruth. The place went mad.

Last edited:

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
kmad said:
While we're complaining.. in 2002 I believe, Markus Naslund had 2G 1A and World won 6-4, but Eric Daze on the losing team with only 2 goals won MVP! What!
Actually, it was pretty widely acknowledged that the one who got screwed that year was Khabibulin, who posted an amazing shut-out in the 3rd period which allowed the World Team to come back. Link

But anyway, like others have said, it's all in fun and not really a big deal, just gives us something to talk about. They really should re-think when they have the voting, however. :)

Masao

Nov 24, 2002
masaohf.atspace.com
Sotnos said:
Actually, it was pretty widely acknowledged that the one who got screwed that year was Khabibulin, who posted an amazing shut-out in the 3rd period which allowed the World Team to come back. Link

But anyway, like others have said, it's all in fun and not really a big deal, just gives us something to talk about. They really should re-think when they have the voting, however. :)

This is even worse, actually. It's like if the 3rd-period goalie doesn't stand a chance to get P.O.G. no matter what :dunno:

benji

Took too much, man.
Dec 8, 2002
Too much.
yo
Do you really want to watch commercials and All-Star Game analysis for 30 minutes while the votes are being cast and tabulated?

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
benji_ch said:
Do you really want to watch commercials and All-Star Game analysis for 30 minutes while the votes are being cast and tabulated?

30 minutes? Why can't they just name the three stars of the game like any other game? #1 star gets the trophy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->