Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
neg marron said:
this was not a very good draft the scouts to me in a sense were kinda clueless

just look at the first round iginla and skyora are not even in the top 10

:habs :habs :habs :habs

At the time Iginla had a HUGE knock on his skating.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
It's always easier in hindsight. I don't think there is any one expert who has never been wrong in predicting what a 17/18 year old kid is going to become.

Sykora in particular was rated as a top 10 guy, but he had suffered a significant (shoulder?) injury prior to the draft. So teams were a little worried about drafting damaged goods.

Terry Ryan was coming off of a monster season, as was Chad Kilger. Aki Berg was a consensus #3 pick IIRC. Steve Kelly put up comparable numbers to Iginla that year in the WHL.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
If you'd seen the goal that Terry Ryan scored in the 1995 CHL All-star game, you'd have taken him 8th overall, too. He had probably the most dominant power-forward season any 17 y/o not named Lindros has had in the last 20 years. His total failure as a prospect still mystifies me - the guy had Gary Roberts written all over him at the time. He probably could have overcome his skating, but concussions and a total lack of conditioning/committment did him in.

I don't recall that big of a skating knock on Iginla - he was just viewed as a solid all-around guy with a more limited (50-60 point type) upside. At the time, it wasn't felt that he had either the skill or the toughness of Ryan and Doan. He didn't explode until the following season.

Sykora was injured and didn't play after New Year's that season, which hurt his stock. He was still pegged as a top-10 lock going into the draft, but had a rather shocking fall on draft day as GMs worried about his size/grit and his injury.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I think another knock on Sykora was that Radek Bonk(who was drafted in 94) the year before played well in the IHL but didn't translate that success in his first year in the NHL. Alot of people labelled him Bonk part 2.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
I really like this draft alot, I don't see where you see a bad draft...this is alot of stars here we are talking about.

Bryan Berard
Wade Redden
Shane Done
Daymond Langkow
Jarome Iginla
J-S Giguere
Jay Mckee
Martin Biron
Petr Sykora
Denis Gauthier
Marc Denis
Brian Boucher
Alexie Morozov
Georges Laraque
Marc Chouinard
Jochen Hecht
Brad Isbister
Alyn McCauely
Sami Kapanen
Vesa Toskala
Marc Savard
Michael Handzus
Miikka Kiprusoff
Jan Hrdina
Brent Johnson
Brent Sopel
Peter Worrell
Filip Kuba
Daniel Markov

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Roberto Luongo said:
Berard did good in NHL, even better than Iggy the first couple of NHL seasons or so. Calder Trophy winner over Iggy and all.

Berard would have definitely developed into one of the most dominant offensive defensemen in the NHL if he wasn't hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->