199 points on 347 goals= 57%...untouchable

Whatever Man*

It isn't a joke. Orr was perhaps the smartest player ever to play aside from Gretzky. Doesn't matter when or where he would figure it out, very, very quickly.

So it's simply Mind over Matter?

Because of his great mind, 30+ years of Hockey evolution doesn't matter?

Good one.
:biglaugh:

Please don't stop, this is good.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rattray

Sep 28, 2005
Vancouver, BC
www.sniperscup.com
So, let me get this straight: You can't see that the level of skill and talent is superior is today's game as compared to 1945?

A complete run down? Ok.

It’s called evolution.

Hahah brilliant.....

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Ogopogo, Rattray, Bletchley, and Cup 2007 Sens Rule!, and others:

If anything is "Pejorative Slured", it is the trite, drunken debate taking place in this thread.

First off, I respect efforts to essentially compare apples to oranges, though all of us realize it's imperfect, for a lot of obvious reasons. Still, it's an interesting effort to boil individual performances down and compare them in a meaningful way.

However, I believe most hockey fans would understand that, for a variety of reasons, hockey today is much more sophisticated and advanced than the NHL hockey of old, and if someone had a "teleporter", as you discussed, there's no question that a player would have great difficulty playing in the league today.

However, Bobby Orr is not a player that serves this argument as well as selecting a player from the early 1900's. But for argument's sake, let's go ahead and use Bobby Orr as an example.

Keep in mind that while Orr played in an era with its own superstars, and dominated the league, one could question the quality of the depth of talent in the NHL during that time, for a number of reasons. During Orr's tenure, the league had 12-18 teams, and had yet to completely mine Europe of its skilled players. Players did not train the way they do today. Nutrition, supplements (and performance enhancers - sad but true, but another debate)and other factors have all had big impacts on players' abilities. More scientific coaching methodologies and technology (studying game tape), sophisiticated statistical analysis, etc has allowed teams to better match up against star players than ever before, and has significantly impacted improvements to goaltending. Additionally, one could argue that NHL salaries at that time did not equally provide the financial incentive for a depth player to make the sacrifices to pursue a pro hockey career, further diminishing the depth of talent at that time. All of these things contribute to the improvement to the depth of talent in the NHL.

Cup 2007, I hate to pick on you, but you said:

you think Orr would have "problems making the NHL" as Pothier signs a 4 years $10 million deal"

We're talking about a career-projected number 6/7 defenseman, playing on the Washington capitals. If you were to compare Pothier to a 6/7 defenseman on a non-playoff team in the 1970's, I think you'd see a noteworthy improvement of depth in the NHL. I doubt you'd find many 6 foot, 200 pound players with the athleticism and fitness of Pothier filling such a role. As such, a player like Bobby Orr, would have a much more difficult time becoming a dominant player in the NHL. The size, strength, and speed of his opposition, the improved skill of depth players, as well as more prepared team systems, and far superior goaltending, would really put a cramp in Bobby Orr's style.

Paxton Fettel

Mar 3, 2006
1988-89

Mario Lemieux did 199 points on 347 goals of his team: IT MEANS THAT HE CONTRIBUTE OF 57% OF THE GOALs

Nhl record

Just an idea on how he was alone:

OVECHKIN this year contribute to 45 % of the goals of the Washington Capitals....and we can say that......he was alone hey

Second best of all time: Lemieux WITH 53 % in 86-87 on 319 goals

Third Best: Gretzky : 52% with the oilers

so on 10 goals that the Pittsburgh Penguins did , Lemieux was on the scoresheet for almost 6 goals.

This record is untouchable ans nobody will ever approach this

This is really the real definition of a hart trophy winner.

Look the roster of the 1986-87.........................can i tell you that they were not close of the playoffs:

# Player Name GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM
-------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------
Mario Lemieux................................. 77 70 98 168 92 -- -- -- -- --
Dan Quinn..................................... 70 40 39 79 50 -- -- -- -- --
Randy Cunneyworth............................. 71 35 39 74 141 -- -- -- -- --
Paul Coffey................................... 46 15 52 67 93 -- -- -- -- --
Doug Bodger................................... 69 14 31 45 103 -- -- -- -- --
Rob Brown..................................... 51 24 20 44 56 -- -- -- -- --
Dave Hunter, Edmonton......................... 21 3 3 6 6 -- -- -- -- --
Pittsburgh....................... 59 11 18 29 77 -- -- -- -- --
Totals........................... 80 14 21 35 83 -- -- -- -- --
Charlie Simmer................................ 50 11 17 28 24 -- -- -- -- --
Jock Callander................................ 41 11 16 27 45 -- -- -- -- --
* Craig Simpson................................. 21 13 13 26 34 -- -- -- -- --
Bryan Erickson, Los Angeles................... 42 6 15 21 20 -- -- -- -- --
Pittsburgh.................... 11 1 4 5 0 -- -- -- -- --
Totals........................ 53 7 19 26 20 -- -- -- -- --
Ville Siren................................... 58 1 20 21 62 -- -- -- -- --
Dave McLlwain................................. 66 11 8 19 40 -- -- -- -- --
Troy Loney.................................... 65 5 13 18 151 -- -- -- -- --
Phil Bourque.................................. 21 4 12 16 20 -- -- -- -- --
Dan Frawley................................... 47 6 8 14 152 -- -- -- -- --
Jim Johnson................................... 55 1 12 13 87 -- -- -- -- --
Randy Hillier................................. 55 1 12 13 144 -- -- -- -- --
Rod Buskas.................................... 76 4 8 12 206 -- -- -- -- --
Steve Gotaas.................................. 36 5 6 11 45 -- -- -- -- --
Zarley Zalapski............................... 15 3 8 11 7 -- -- -- -- --
* Moe Mantha.................................... 21 2 8 10 23 -- -- -- -- --
Bob Errey..................................... 17 3 6 9 18 -- -- -- -- --
Chris Dahlquist............................... 44 3 6 9 69 -- -- -- -- --
Mark Kachowski................................ 38 5 3 8 126 -- -- -- -- --
Perry Ganchar, Mtl. Canadiens................. 1 1 0 1 0 -- -- -- -- --
Pittsburgh..................... 30 2 5 7 36 -- -- -- -- --
Totals......................... 31 3 5 8 36 -- -- -- -- --
Wilf Paiement................................. 23 2 6 8 39 -- -- -- -- --
* Chris Kontos.................................. 36 1 7 8 12 -- -- -- -- --
Kevin Stevens................................. 16 5 2 7 8 -- -- -- -- --
* Dave Hannan................................... 21 4 3 7 23 -- -- -- -- --
Dwight Mathiasen.............................. 23 0 6 6 14 -- -- -- -- --
Wayne Van Dorp................................ 25 1 3 4 75 -- -- -- -- --
* Chris Joseph.................................. 17 0 4 4 12 -- -- -- -- --
Norm Schmidt.................................. 5 1 2 3 0 -- -- -- -- --
Todd Charlesworth............................. 6 2 0 2 2 -- -- -- -- --
Brad Aitken................................... 5 1 1 2 0 -- -- -- -- --
Lee Giffin.................................... 19 0 2 2 9 -- -- -- -- --
Frank Pietrangelo (G)......................... 21 0 2 2 2 -- -- -- -- --
Scott Gruhl................................... 6 1 0 1 0 -- -- -- -- --
Pat Mayer..................................... 1 0 0 0 4 -- -- -- -- --
Dave Goertz................................... 2 0 0 0 2 -- -- -- -- --
Warren Young.................................. 7 0 0 0 15 -- -- -- -- --
Jimmy Mann.................................... 9 0 0 0 53 -- -- -- -- --
Steve Guenette (G)............................ 19 0 0 0 2 -- -- -- -- --
Pat Riggin (G)................................ 22 0 0 0 12 -- -- -- -- --
Gilles Meloche (G)............................ 27 0 0 0 0 -- -- -- -- --
Bench 80 26
-------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------
Totals 319 520 839 2211

if Gretzky played that year for Pittsburgh but on a different line, Lemieux's number of 57% would go down to 35% maybe, although he'd still have 199 points

Rattray

Sep 28, 2005
Vancouver, BC
www.sniperscup.com

If anything is "Pejorative Slured", it is the trite, drunken debate taking place in this thread.

First off, I respect efforts to essentially compare apples to oranges, though all of us realize it's imperfect, for a lot of obvious reasons. Still, it's an interesting effort to boil individual performances down and compare them in a meaningful way.

However, I believe most hockey fans would understand that, for a variety of reasons, hockey today is much more sophisticated and advanced than the NHL hockey of old, and if someone had a "teleporter", as you discussed, there's no question that a player would have great difficulty playing in the league today.

However, Bobby Orr is not a player that serves this argument as well as selecting a player from the early 1900's. But for argument's sake, let's go ahead and use Bobby Orr as an example.

Keep in mind that while Orr played in an era with its own superstars, and dominated the league, one could question the quality of the depth of talent in the NHL during that time, for a number of reasons. During Orr's tenure, the league had 12-18 teams, and had yet to completely mine Europe of its skilled players. Players did not train the way they do today. Nutrition, supplements (and performance enhancers - sad but true, but another debate)and other factors have all had big impacts on players' abilities. More scientific coaching methodologies and technology (studying game tape), sophisiticated statistical analysis, etc has allowed teams to better match up against star players than ever before, and has significantly impacted improvements to goaltending. Additionally, one could argue that NHL salaries at that time did not equally provide the financial incentive for a depth player to make the sacrifices to pursue a pro hockey career, further diminishing the depth of talent at that time. All of these things contribute to the improvement to the depth of talent in the NHL.

We're talking about a career-projected number 6/7 defenseman, playing on the Washington capitals. If you were to compare Pothier to a 6/7 defenseman on a non-playoff team in the 1970's, I think you'd see a noteworthy improvement of depth in the NHL. I doubt you'd find many 6 foot, 200 pound players with the athleticism and fitness of Pothier filling such a role. As such, a player like Bobby Orr, would have a much more difficult time becoming a dominant player in the NHL. The size, strength, and speed of his opposition, the improved skill of depth players, as well as more prepared team systems, and far superior goaltending, would really put a cramp in Bobby Orr's style.

Awesome post. Sens fan just got owned.

Ogopogo*

Thanks for your contribution, kurt.

I have discussed the "deeper talent pool" argument in the past. In the 70s we didn't have all of the Europeans so, some people believe that the NHL was not nearly as good as today. OK, what about the 2 billion people in China and India? What if, hockey becomes huge in those nations in the next 20 years? Could it then be said that today's NHL is far inferior to that of 2030 because we had 2 billion less people to draw from?

My point is, evolution will always happen. players of 2050 will be bigger, stronger and faster and there will be more people than ever playing hockey. The bottom line is you still must compare players by how they dominate their own era. Every player in any given era has the same advantages of every other player in that era. Every future era has more advantages than the past.

You cannot expect a player of today to be dominant in 2050. Evolution will always take place.

The only correct way to evaluate players historically, is to compare how they dominated their peers. Just because billions of people on the other side of the world don't play hockey, is no reason to discredit NHL great. Every single season the NHL ices the BEST POSSIBLE product. Every player makes his mark by showing how well they compete with the best product the NHL has to offer. Worrying about players outside the NHL is fruitless.

bigjags*

Perfect. I just wanted confirmation that you have no idea what you are talking about.

So, you’re pretty much alluding that the game of hockey hasn’t evolved through the years?

Whatever Man*

If it is a comparison of how much a player dominated his era, then it's Gretzky by a mile. As much as people want to say Orr dominated, therewere several others who at the time were on par with him. Other players won the Art Ross, Hart and Pearson trophies during Orr's prime. The same cannot be said about Gretzky who owned the Hart, Pearson and Art Ross Trophies for the better part of a decade. He could have won scoring titles on assists alone. He re-wrote almost every offensive record on the books. No one has ever dominated the league in that manner, for that long. If it is domination over thier peers that is your criteria for the best ever, then Gretzky is #1 by a long shot.

bigjags*

My point is, evolution will always happen. players of 2050 will be bigger, stronger and faster and there will be more people than ever playing hockey. The bottom line is you still must compare players by how they dominate their own era. Every player in any given era has the same advantages of every other player in that era. Every future era has more advantages than the past.

I agree 100%. That's why I said Orr would dominate this NHL is he was born in say 1980. If you teleported Orr to know he'd be a bum.

So, I totally agree with you that comparing different eras is almost impossible. I was merely getting a kick out of the fact that Sens Rules thinks Orr can make up 30 years of evolution in two weeks.

Ogopogo*

I agree 100%. That's why I said Orr would dominate this NHL is he was born in say 1980. If you teleported Orr to know he'd be a bum.

So, I totally agree with you that comparing different eras is almost impossible. I was merely getting a kick out of the fact that Sens Rules thinks Orr can make up 30 years of evolution in two weeks.

When you compare based on how a player dominated his era, it works quite well.

Rattray

Sep 28, 2005
Vancouver, BC
www.sniperscup.com
Based on your theory "Sens fan"....you give the Gump a "2 week getting used to" period, and he'd stone the likes of Jagr, Crosby, Ovechkin? Riiiiiiight. :handclap:

[IMAGE]http://img69.photobucket.com/albums/v210/JesGolbez/GUMP1.jpg[/IMAGE]

bigjags*

Based on your theory "Sens fan"....you give the Gump a "2 week getting used to" period, and he'd stone the likes of Jagr, Crosby, Ovechkin? Riiiiiiight. :handclap:

:lol:

That's pretty funny.

KariyaIsGod*

Hahah brilliant.....

Actually, it's not at all.

There was no consideration fro equipment, nutrition, training methods.

How about this?

If the talent level is so much better now, you would be willing to say that if we transplanted Luongo into 1935, gave him no mask, old equipment, no modern training or exercise methods and war era nutrition, that he would dominate?

If you actually believe that, you have lost it.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site

How about this?

If the talent level is so much better now, you would be willing to say that if we transplanted Luongo into 1935, gave him no mask, old equipment, no modern training or exercise methods and war era nutrition, that he would dominate?

Ha, well played. Nice way to look at it.

People talk about how fast Orr was. Imagine if he was using todays equipment.

GuloGulo

Nov 16, 2005
trunkofacamaro

How about this?

After two weeks, he'd do an awful lot better than a player teleported the other way.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Thanks Ogopogo, for your response. I think I'll have an easier time addressing it in parts.

I have discussed the "deeper talent pool" argument in the past. In the 70s we didn't have all of the Europeans so, some people believe that the NHL was not nearly as good as today. OK, what about the 2 billion people in China and India? What if, hockey becomes huge in those nations in the next 20 years? Could it then be said that today's NHL is far inferior to that of 2030 because we had 2 billion less people to draw from?

I don't think it's so much the number of people to draw from, as it is the quality of people to draw from. Europe had legitimate hockey talent that was overlooked due to politics and prejudice, and the financial incentive wasn't strong enough to lure many players, both foreign and domestic.

Now that the NHL has established itself as the premiere league in the world, and financial incentives are in place, this is no longer as large of an issue. Collective strengths of players' unions in pro sports have enabled players to earn their market value. Teams are now able to generate the massive amounts of revenue. If players are good enough to play NHL hockey, they play NHL hockey (with a few exceptions, but a generally true statement). They rarely decide to stay home in their own country, or join the army, or become an accountant, etc.

My point is, evolution will always happen. players of 2050 will be bigger, stronger and faster and there will be more people than ever playing hockey.

I agree, evolution will continue, and players will get stronger, faster, smarter. The game will continue to improve. Today's hockey will likely pale in comparison to the hockey of tomorrow. Unless somehow hockey falls out of favour, and society loses interest in pro sports, then hockey could become inferior to today's product. Who knows. But you're absolutely correct.

The bottom line is you still must compare players by how they dominate their own era. Every player in any given era has the same advantages of every other player in that era. Every future era has more advantages than the past.

You cannot expect a player of today to be dominant in 2050. Evolution will always take place. The only correct way to evaluate players historically, is to compare how they dominated their peers.

First, players may be compared in whichever manner hockey fans choose to compare them. There is no one, perfect method that they "must" use. I agree that your method of comparison is very meaningful, and serves to strip away the "era advantages" you describe. However, it's not the "only" way to compare players. In this thread, Rattay and Bletchley discussed putting Bobby Orr into a time machine. In that comparison, "era advantages" are very relevant. There are many ways to compare players, and each of those comparisons could be seen as "correct". Correct is subjective, and correct is different based on the purpose of comparison.

Just because billions of people on the other side of the world don't play hockey, is no reason to discredit NHL great. Every single season the NHL ices the BEST POSSIBLE product. Every player makes his mark by showing how well they compete with the best product the NHL has to offer. Worrying about players outside the NHL is fruitless.

My example was discussing European countries, which did play hockey. Very well in fact. I think the Summit Series proved that. The fact is, during that time, the NHL did not ice the "best possible" product, due to politics, prejudice, and lack of incentive, as discussed above. Today, I would agree that worrying about players outside the NHL is fruitless, as in the modern era of hockey, scouts are scouring the globe to find the talent to improve their club. Players were overlooked in the past for many reasons. Other players decided on their own not to pursue hockey. Just because the NHL has consistently been the best league in the world for quite some time, does not mean that "they consistently iced the best possible product."

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005

How is Gump Worseley Bobby Orr or Wayne Gretzky?

Ogopogo*

My example was discussing European countries, which did play hockey. Very well in fact. I think the Summit Series proved that. The fact is, during that time, the NHL did not ice the "best possible" product, due to politics, prejudice, and lack of incentive, as discussed above. Today, I would agree that worrying about players outside the NHL is fruitless, as in the modern era of hockey, scouts are scouring the globe to find the talent to improve their club. Players were overlooked in the past for many reasons. Other players decided on their own not to pursue hockey. Just because the NHL has consistently been the best league in the world for quite some time, does not mean that "they consistently iced the best possible product."

So, do you believe that the lack of Europeans taints the careers of Orr, Howe, Hull and Esposito? Should their careers be considered less impressive because of the players that were outside of the NHL?

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
So, do you believe that the lack of Europeans taints the careers of Orr, Howe, Hull and Esposito? Should their careers be considered less impressive because of the players that were outside of the NHL?

No, I'm simply saying their competition within the NHL wasn't the best it possibly could have been. However, my argument could be partly counter-balanced by the fact that there were half as many teams in the NHL at that time.

I'm not saying anyone's career is less impressive. I'm simply stating that there are many factors that would result in many of the NHL's past superstars having trouble asserting the same level of dominance in today's game, due to what you describe as "era advantages."

I don't think we're really disagreeing about anything.

In my opinion, all of these statements are true:

1. Comparing players across different eras is difficult, for many reasons.
  2. Your method of comparing players by their relative dominance within their era of hockey is very insightful and meaningful, and serves well to rank players in terms of their impact on the game, in a way that "equalizes" different eras.
  3. Hockey has evolved considerably over time, in all aspects.
  4. Because hockey has evolved so much, it would be difficult for a dominant player of a past era to assert an equal level of dominance in the modern era of hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad