1988 nhl draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
Funny that you bring up that draft, as I personally know 17th overall pick Kory Kocur, who's related to Joe Kocur and Wendel Clark. He coached my brother's Peewee team last year, and I babysat his kids. Really nice guy, still a pretty good hockey player. His sons- 10 and 14, I think- are dynamite as well.

It was surreal hearing about how he'd been drafted by the Wings, and then going into his basement and seeing the picture taken of him on the podium.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Gosh, that could bring to damn long posts if posters would care about other teams than the one they cheers for.

So I'll bring only the Habs.Gotta bring the Supplemental Draft, too (BTW, someone can explain what this draft actually WAS?!?!)

HABS

1st, 20 : ERIC CHARRON.

A Defensive-D, a bit rough on the side, but not a professional enforcer. Never panned out as an Hab, played 3 games before leaving for Calgary : his AHL numbers were never above 16 pts during this 3 year stint. Turned out to be a journey man 7th-8th D-Men, playing 130 games and posting 9 points. While it was definitively a better pick than Brent Bilodeau or Lindsay Vallis, this was a typical 80ies Habs pick.

2nd, 34 : Martin St-Amour - F

Career WCHLer

3rd, Neil Carnes - F

Played only 28 games in the QJMHL before calling quits.

4th, 83 : Patrick Kjellberg - F

Played only 7 games as an hab, and went back to Sweeden, only to come back with Nashville (was it an expansion draft pick?) and was quite useful out there. Retired as a Duck at 34 YO, enjoying a rather good career, that started much later than expected.

5th, 93 : Peter Popovic - D

It's debateable whether Popovic enjoyed a better career than Kjellberg, but there's not debate about the fact that, for the Habs solely, he WAS the best of his class, even though he was a bottom pairing D-Men at best, but mainly for his longevity with the club. He kinda replaced Sean Hill as the 7th man. Tall man, but soft on the side with no offensive role whatsoever, but a rather intelligent D-Men. Can be compared to a softer but taller Craig Rivet, with no offensive flair at all.

5th, 104 : Jean-Claude Bergeron. - G

He enjoyed a NHL career with Montreal and Tampa Bay, but was constantly beaten by Red Light out of the training camp. In Tampa, he was the third man out, too, this team beaten by... Another Ex-Hab, Pat Jablonski. But had opportunities as the 1st man was Darren Puppa. Not much memories of him, aside that his NHL tenure seemed more like a accident than anything else.

6th, Patric Carnback. - F

He came here with Kjellberg and left about at the same time too. But he left for the ducks, had some average years, and left for Europe.

7 : Tim Chase
Who?!?!

8th : Sean Hill. - D

The only guy I wish the Habs would still have. Never really panned out as an Hab, was member of the squad in 1993 as the 7th D-men. But one as to remember that he was only 23 at this time, and it's no rare feat for a D to blossom later. So, after about 30 regular season games, he left for the Ducks. He was moved a few times, but enjoyed a very decent career as a mid-pairing D-Men. He's still playing at 35. The best pick, as of today, of this draft.

9th : Harijs Vizolinch - F

Never signed, re-entered and drafted for Jets in 1993. Played only 1 season + 15 games in NA. Played in Switzerland where he posted VERY GOOD numbers.

10 : Yuri Krivokjiha - D

11 - Kevin Dahl - D

Played with the baby Canadiens in the early nineties, but left for the olympic team. Was a journeyman ever since, played his last NHL game in 2000-2001. Don't really know how the guy played...

12 - David Kunda

No perennial leaders of anything from this draft (Roenick, maybe?), aside from the PIMs, this is the draft where Link Gaetz and Tie Domi were drafted. BTW, I look at Link Gaetz 1991-1992 season and I'm like.... GASP. He would have totally blown Dave Schultz season record for PIM. 326 in... 48 games! Wonder if it was bans/suspension, injuries, or simply healthy scrath, althought I see no reason why to scratch a 0.25 PPG D-Men Enforcer on such a HORRENDOUS team. BTW, it would give roughly 550 PIMs on a 81-game season.And this was on his first COMPLETE season.

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
Oilers took D Francois Leroux. I followed that draft but back in those days you read the Hockey News and then found out what the top picks were about in the July issue.

Leroux was huge and was touted as being a guy who would come pretty quickly. He was super slow, they could time him by sundial. He never found a consistent game in Edmonton but did find regular work with Pittsburgh in the 90s. He played 249 NHL games.

The guy I wanted them to keep up was Chris Joseph who came over from the Pens in a trade and had a little better career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->