1987 Canada vs. USSR : both disqualified

Status
Not open for further replies.

mach 1

Dec 6, 2004
i'am not 100% sure but 99% sure canada was winning the game.i was watching the game but it was along time ago,there's been alot of beer drinking since then memory not what it used to be :) :) :)

Johnny

Mar 11, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
By the way, if you download the clip, when they turn the lights off, they give a close up of the arena scoreboard at exactly 03:26 of the clip.. the scoreboard part is lit up, to clearly see Canada leading 4-2.

Last edited:

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
wilka91 said:
We all know TSN is all about Canada, so if they were losing, TSN would still claim Canada was leading! :lol:

First you say that all you want is a link and now you are provoking people. :speechles

Canada was in fact winning the game 4-2. They had to win my atleast 5 goals. Weather Canada would have won that game or not we will never know, but we do know what sparked the whole issue of "Violence in hockey" as well as a major increase in the rivalry between the two nations (This was the first major issue between the two since 1972.).

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Alright dudes, you seem pretty upset with the fact the Russia was leading ... huh, why would it be so? Let me just add this : you all know that Russia is superior to Canada, so you're just making up some silly stories that Canada was supposedly leading against the Soviets once in the past, and that Canada was going to beat the Russians by 7 goals to win its first WOrld Championship, but since they couldn't accomplish that diddly do feat, the Canadians wanted at least prove they were not all (because there were many of them) sissies. So they got into this fight, like real man! Ouch. And got their ass kicked as usual. :joker:

PS. Dudes, I'm totally high ... no actually I'm sick (with sore throat and fever), so don't pay attention to what I'm saying. Halleluyah! :dunce:

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
wilka91 said:
Alright dudes, you seem pretty upset with the fact the Russia was leading ... huh, why would it be so? Let me just add this : you all know that Russia is superior to Canada, so you're just making up some silly stories that Canada was supposedly leading against the Soviets once in the past, and that Canada was going to beat the Russians by 7 goals to win its first WOrld Championship, but since they couldn't accomplish that diddly do feat, the Canadians wanted at least prove they were not all (because there were many of them) sissies. So they got into this fight, like real man! Ouch. And got their ass kicked as usual. :joker:

PS. Dudes, I'm totally high ... no actually I'm sick (with sore throat and fever), so don't pay attention to what I'm saying. Halleluyah! :dunce:

Someone want to tranlate this for me? It's about as clear as a glass of Mexican water.

Macman

May 15, 2004
I saw the game. Canada WAS ahead 4-2 and were threatening to run away with it when the brawl began. The fights, of course, were also one-sided.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
I'm telling you I'm sick, and when I'm sick, I'm like somebody totally drunk!

Forgive me, I posted all this crap for fun, but notice that I didn't even ask the score or anything ... sombody came in and just started it all "Canada was leading blah blah Canada was going to win the gold medal blah blah ... :handclap:

Vic Rattlehead*

wilka91 said:
I'm telling you I'm sick, and when I'm sick, I'm like somebody totally drunk!

Forgive me, I posted all this crap for fun, but notice that I didn't even ask the score or anything ... sombody came in and just started it all "Canada was leading blah blah Canada was going to win the gold medal blah blah ... :handclap:

Maybe if you are sick and post like you are drunk (ya right) then you shouldn't post (your posts are weird).

Upchuck19

May 6, 2003
Visit site
I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this but does anyone remember how much of a idiot Brian Williams was? He was saying how much the Canadian boys have discrassed there country!

Don Cherry almost beat the crap out of Williams live on tv. Cherry in a interview years later said he wanted to punch Williams, and thought his comments were wrong.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Canada was leading 4-2, the article Jussi referred to was in Jääkiekkolehti, and someone on the Jatkoaika boards who said he was there basically refuted the article as beign wrong..

if TSN has it as Canada 4-2 then I'd believe that, its easy for a ref to remember scores the wrong way..

basically our eyewitness said the fight started, then the russian coach ordered 2 guys onto the ice (to prevent those russians losing a fight from getting injured).
the canadians saw this as an open challenge for a team-wide brawl, and everyone came onto the ice..

I can't remember the game and how it went, just remember a huge fight..

MacDaddy TLC*

The Albino said:
Seems to be conflicting reports because over at TSN they have it the other way around:

http://www.tsn.ca/World_jrs/feature.asp?fid=3845

Maybe somebody who watched those Juniors could tell us :)
Canada was definitely leading and gaining momentum. They were on the verge or had just reached the number of goals that they needed to win gold. The Soviets were being outclassed. The clown refereeing the match had absolutely lost control, not that he ahd it during the game. The Soviets were out of medal contention. All The Soviet players were out on the ice. The Canadian coach tried to hold his players back, but the players would have none of it. It was probably the most disgraceful act in Soviet hockey history. They deliberately went after the Canadians with the intent of taking their medal hopes away. They got their asses kicked and deserved it!

One of the few decent things Harold Ballard ever did was having gold medal made up and presented to this team.

MacDaddy TLC*

Raimo Sillanpää said:
basically our eyewitness said the fight started, then the russian coach ordered 2 guys onto the ice (to prevent those russians losing a fight from getting injured).
the canadians saw this as an open challenge for a team-wide brawl, and everyone came onto the ice..

Not just two guys, the WHOLE TEAM! The coach's didn't try and stop them, and I don't doubt that they were ordered onto the ice. If you remember, back in the day, the coach of the Soviets stood on the bench in front of the players. Nobody moved unless they were ordered to go.

espo*

DaaaaB's said:
So who were the main guys fighting?
Who won the fights?
We kicked them all over the ice,i think they even lost the fights where they had three guys on one of ours......fighting was'nt something they were used to...it may have been the first fight for all of the Soviet players on skates in their life.

Jaysfanatic*

Seeing Steve Chaisson's name is still a lil' tough for me :(

I wonder what assistant coach PAT BURNS thought of the incident :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad