1987 Canada vs. USSR : both disqualified

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Can anybody tell me more about this 1987 WJC? I know that both teams were disqulified because of some big brawl, but I'd like some details. Can anybody provide me with a link?

Thanks

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
wilka91 said:
Can anybody tell me more about this 1987 WJC? I know that both teams were disqulified because of some big brawl, but I'd like some details. Can anybody provide me with a link?

Thanks
This was named the Piastany(pardon my spelling lol) punch up.... Canada was winning and were about to solidify the gold mental when things out of hand and Russia and Canada started slashing each other and a bench clearing brawl broke out which led to chaos and the Canadian team being led out of the country.. as a result Canada lost their claim for the gold medal and along with Russia were disqualified from the tournment..

Heres a link with a clip of the incident:
http://archives.cbc.ca/IDC-1-41-1459-9679/sports/don_cherry/clip2

ps. the lights went out during the melay.

enjoy

Kugel

Oct 16, 2003
Ontario, Canada
wilka91 said:

Thanks
ALso if u get eson classic canada they r showing this game i think on Monday the 20th.....i also want to see this game casue i have only seen some hi lights.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Madevilz said:
wow Cherry's comment was just :dunce:

Yeah, he's a lovable little guy. I have to give him credit for saying something along the lines of "I'll side with Canada right or wrong", admitting to bias.

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Madevilz said:
wow Cherry's comment was just :dunce:

He was 100% correct though, that wanker on the other side either didn't watch hockey or was trying way to hard to come off as a great hockey mind. Cherry said roughly, they did what they had to do, and you know what if you watch the tape, that is correct there is no doubt about that.

brian

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Canada did not have the gold medal in hand. They had to beat the Soviets by a wide margin like 7 goals to get the gold. Finland had the superior goal for against ratio. The Soviets were out of the medals all together and had absolutely nothing to lose (other than a few teeth) by brawling.

YEMELIN74

Feb 12, 2004
Lévis
Kugel said:
ALso if u get eson classic canada they r showing this game i think on Monday the 20th.....i also want to see this game casue i have only seen some hi lights.
nice ill watch that on monday... do u know what time is it?

espo*

brian said:
Canada did not have the gold medal in hand. They had to beat the Soviets by a wide margin like 7 goals to get the gold. Finland had the superior goal for against ratio. The Soviets were out of the medals all together and had absolutely nothing to lose (other than a few teeth) by brawling.
Think they only had to beat them by four and were well on their way to doing it.Who knows what would have happened but it was a fishy ploy bythe Soviet coach....Cherry was right that day and i'm glad he told Williams off...he deserved it and i've never liked the guy since.

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The cool thing is that the Frf and linesman were Europeans (Czechs I thknk) and they had no clue how to handle 20fights at a time. So they just stood at the zamboni entrance with their arms crossed and watched... and the fights didn't end... so the fans began whistling (sign of discontent in Europe)... and then the organizers turned off the lights in the building tyo calm everyone down... and the players kept fighting in pitch black conditions... and the lights came back on... and they were still fighting...

It's truely a classic.

espo*

Without a doubt.....i don't remember ever being so jacked up.....maybe 1987 Canada cup or Salt Lake but that's it.

brian

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
My mistake it wasn't 7, but it wasn't 4 either. If I recall it was a five goal margin that they had to win by. It is questionable

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Canada had to win by 2 goals and Soviets were leading 4-2, so Canada needed four goals at that point. The fight started after 13 minutes of 2nd period.

Btw, Theoren Fleury was one of the starters of the fight.

I can read more after I am back home.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
espion said:
The cool thing is that the Frf and linesman were Europeans (Czechs I thknk) and they had no clue how to handle 20fights at a time. So they just stood at the zamboni entrance with their arms crossed and watched... and the fights didn't end... so the fans began whistling (sign of discontent in Europe)... and then the organizers turned off the lights in the building tyo calm everyone down... and the players kept fighting in pitch black conditions... and the lights came back on... and they were still fighting...

It's truely a classic.

A Finnish hockey mag described it that when the lights went out, the players stopped fighting, but continued immediately when they came back on. The fighting didn't stop until the local militias showed and locked and loaded their AK-47's.

Edit: I found the Jääkiekkolehti issue with a good description of the events. The ref was Norwegian Ulf Rönning, and one of the linesmen was Finnish Peter Pomoell (whose words were mainly used in the article). Pomoell said Rönning was poor throughout the match. Soviets were indeed leading the game 4-2 when the fight started. The magazine also had a clear description on how it started, I'll post it later if anyone's interested.

Last edited:

tony2532

Jun 3, 2004
Sault Ste. Marie, On
ES said:
Canada had to win by 2 goals and Soviets were leading 4-2, so Canada needed four goals at that point. The fight started after 13 minutes of 2nd period.

Btw, Theoren Fleury was one of the starters of the fight.

I can read more after I am back home.

You got it wrong. Canada was leading 4-2 at the time - that I'm sure of. My recollection was that Canada needed to win by 4 goals to win the gold. With a win they were guaranteed the silver.

In those days the tournament was a round robin format and the Russians were already out of the medals.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
tony2532 said:
You got it wrong. Canada was leading 4-2 at the time - that I'm sure of. My recollection was that Canada needed to win by 4 goals to win the gold. With a win they were guaranteed the silver.

Quote from the article I mentioned: "When the fight started, both teams were a man down and Soviets were leading 4-2." And as ES said Fleury basically started the fight by spearing Smirnov who was trying to close the puck against the boards. Pavel Kostitshkin, who was playing in Finland when the article was written, said that he was on his way to help Smirnov when Everett Sanipass (?) hit him. Fleury was also going to hit him but he hit first, that's when it all began.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
Jussi said:
Quote from the article I mentioned: "When the fight started, both teams were a man down and Soviets were leading 4-2." And as ES said Fleury basically started the fight by spearing Smirnov who was trying to close the puck against the boards. Pavel Kostitshkin, who was playing in Finland when the article was written, said that he was on his way to help Smirnov when Everett Sanipass (?) hit him. Fleury was also going to hit him but he hit first, that's when it all began.

Seems to be conflicting reports because over at TSN they have it the other way around:

TSN said:
With Canada in contention for gold and leading Russia 4-2 in their final game, the lights went out - literally. A bench-clearing brawl erupted and officials, struggling to restore order, had the lights in the arena shut off. The players continued to fight in the dark, and organizers were forced to cancel the game. Both teams were eventually disqualified from the competition.

http://www.tsn.ca/World_jrs/feature.asp?fid=3845

Maybe somebody who watched those Juniors could tell us :)

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
We all know TSN is all about Canada, so if they were losing, TSN would still claim Canada was leading! :lol:

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
Jussi said:
A Finnish hockey mag described it that when the lights went out, the players stopped fighting, but continued immediately when they came back on. The fighting didn't stop until the local militias showed and locked and loaded their AK-47's.

Edit: I found the Jääkiekkolehti issue with a good description of the events. The ref was Norwegian Ulf Rönning, and one of the linesmen was Finnish Peter Pomoell (whose words were mainly used in the article). Pomoell said Rönning was poor throughout the match. Soviets were indeed leading the game 4-2 when the fight started. The magazine also had a clear description on how it started, I'll post it later if anyone's interested.

We're interested. Please do that!

espo*

wilka91 said:
We all know TSN is all about Canada, so if they were losing, TSN would still claim Canada was leading! :lol:
Canada was leading in that game.....check it out...tsn is just reporting what the score was.Of course tsn is about Canada,should it be different?But Canada was leading by two goals in that game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad