1987 Canada-USSR brawl

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
its on ESPN Classic Canada right now until 9pm est.
I haven't seen the Punch Out in Piestany in over 10 years. :D
Gonna flip between the game and tonights exhibition game.

bonefizzle

Dec 5, 2004
i watched it to .. first time seeing it .. good game.. fleury had some nice goals.. and better celebrations haha... can't believe that fight though, USSR were kicking players....and fighting two on one in some cases

brian

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
You don't suppose the USSR players who were double teaming the Canadian player were future Red Wing teammates Fedorov and Konstantinov on Shanahan? Funny it probably was the only time that guys like Khristich, Mogilny and a few other Russians fight.

ar_emihcrd

bonefizzle said:
i watched it to .. first time seeing it .. good game.. fleury had some nice goals.. and better celebrations haha... can't believe that fight though, USSR were kicking players....and fighting two on one in some cases

That's interesting how selecting your tunnel vision is. Canada started the whole brawl because they're undisciplined punks. The fact that the vast majority of these Russian juniors barely ever fought again should clear it up for you.

Canada deserved to get thrown out of that tournament. And they somehow dragged Russia into a bed reputation for fighting too.

e-e

Mar 15, 2003
Bratislava
ar_emihcrd said:
That's interesting how selecting your tunnel vision is. Canada started the whole brawl because they're undisciplined punks. The fact that the vast majority of these Russian juniors barely ever fought again should clear it up for you.

agree

Sammy*

ar_emihcrd said:

Canada deserved to get thrown out of that tournament. And they somehow dragged Russia into a bed reputation for fighting too.
Ha,ha,ha. Yeah, ok. Russkies were the agressors in that brawl there bud cause they had nothin to play for. There was absolutly no upside to Canada getting into that brawl, & if you care to take an unbised look, you will see that the Russkies were the agitators.
Nice try though.

ar_emihcrd

Sammy said:
Ha,ha,ha. Yeah, ok. Russkies were the agressors in that brawl there bud cause they had nothin to play for. There was absolutly no upside to Canada getting into that brawl, & if you care to take an unbised look, you will see that the Russkies were the agitators.
Nice try though.

So... Canadians were the idiots then?

Ok - if you want to go that route.

Sammy*

ar_emihcrd said:
So... Canadians were the idiots then?

Ok - if you want to go that route.
No doiubt they were idiots to get sucked into that brawl but its pretty tough to sit on your a!! when the 2 Russkies are trying to beat the crap out of your Bud.
I dunno about you, but it would be pretty tough for me to just stand there.
Nice try there though Bud. Thanks for comin.

ar_emihcrd

Sammy said:
No doiubt they were idiots to get sucked into that brawl but its pretty tough to sit on your a!! when the 2 Russkies are trying to beat the crap out of your Bud.
I dunno about you, but it would be pretty tough for me to just stand there.
Nice try there though Bud. Thanks for comin.

Oh, sorry. It's a clique mentality here. ;)

espo*

ar_emihcrd said:

For me it was'nt a matter of who started it,just seeing our guys slapping your guys all around the ice that was beautiful.I can still remember Everett Sanipass beating the s%$t out of the soviet players(he was'nt the only one) it was nice and the soviet team got what they asked for,why they asked for something they could'nt do is beyond me.They just could'nt fight...i'll give them points for trying but they sucked at it ...even resorting to having three guys take on one canuck.........not that is what is called a punk!!! Thesoviets probably should have been banned from next years tournament also.

ar_emihcrd

cyclops said:
For me it was'nt a matter of who started it,just seeing our guys slapping your guys all around the ice that was beautiful.I can still remember Everett Sanipass beating the s%$t out of the soviet players(he was'nt the only one) it was nice and the soviet team got what they asked for,why they asked for something they could'nt do is beyond me.They just could'nt fight...i'll give them points for trying but they sucked at it ...even resorting to having three guys take on one canuck.........not that is what is called a punk!!! Thesoviets probably should have been banned from next years tournament also.

That's okay. Russians were taking it easy. Napoleon, the Nazis.... Canadians? Doesn't have the same zing - I think they were bored.

But yeah - that Theo Fleury is pure class, eh?.. Moving on.

espo*

let's drop them again this year.........and we'll move on. Don't call us punks,you should know better then to do that.......fighting words,some posters may let it slip by but i won't,you drop the gaunlet when you pull that stuff and you know it.

ar_emihcrd

cyclops said:
let's drop them again this year.........and we'll move on. Don't call us punks,you should know better then to do that.......fighting words,some posters may let it slip by but i won't,you drop the gaunlet when you pull that stuff and you know it.

You take offense too easily. You ruin the zen. I really don't think most people here make a big deal of opinions and, besides, words are thrown around for 'trashtalk' purposes not personal ones.

And remember - vodka cures all. Pour yourself a glass tonight and you'll get right in the spirit, big guy.

espo*

Hmmmm.......Anyway,the vodka idea makes sense,maybe i'll do that tonight for Canada-Switzerland.Perhaps you are on the ball after all!!!!

ar_emihcrd

cyclops said:
Hmmmm.......Anyway,the vodka idea makes sense,maybe i'll do that tonight for Canada-Switzerland.Perhaps you are on the ball after all!!!!

Even if they lose... you win. Know what I mean?

espo*

LOL...perfectly understand. It's a very good idea without a doubt......i'm embarrassed i did'nt think of it myself...but it won't happen again in the future,vodka will be on hand for sure.

littleD

You know what, watching that now, if those refs knew what the hell they were doing, the whole thing wouldn't have escalated anything close to that brawl. A line brawl maybe, but not even that. The goalies weren't even involved until the benches cleared.

Beakermania*

littleD said:
You know what, watching that now, if those refs knew what the hell they were doing, the whole thing wouldn't have escalated anything close to that brawl. A line brawl maybe, but not even that. The goalies weren't even involved until the benches cleared.

IIHF refs and know what they are doing, do not belong in the same sentence ever!!!

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Beakermania said:
IIHF refs and know what they are doing, do not belong in the same sentence ever!!!

:lol: And NHL refs do? They didn't look so godlike in the World Cup, Salt Lake or Nagano. I'll admit that the refs from the "smaller countries" tend to in the wrong place in some matches.

svetovy poharu

Dec 7, 2004
The Story:

Blame the Russians! That was Don Cherry's reaction to the bench-clearing brawl. Canada was going for gold, leading 4-2. Then a fight broke out, both benches emptied, and a 20-minute fracas erupted. Cherry, always lenient on hockey violence, applauded the Canadian players, saying that sacrificing a medal to fight the Soviets was simply "our Canadian way."

The "Punch-up in Piestany" erupted halfway through the final game of the 1987 world junior championship. Canada was assured a medal, and would have moved ahead of Finland for the gold if they had beaten the Soviets by at least five goals.

The blow-up began as a fight between Pavel Kostichkin and Theoren Fleury. Four Soviet players left their bench to join the brawl, and then all the players on both teams swarmed onto the ice.

The pugilists, who included Brendan Shanahan and Mike Keane (and the goalies of both the Canadian and Soviet teams) could not be separated even when the arena lights were turned out. After 20 minutes, they simply wore out and stopped fighting. The rest of the game was cancelled. The IIHF voted to expel both teams from the tournament and Finland was awarded the gold.

The fight divided Canadians on the perennial issue of violence in hockey. While most observers agreed that the Soviets goaded the Canadians into fighting, some felt the Canadians displayed an embarrassing lack of discipline and self-control. Others, like Don Cherry, believed the Canadians had no choice but to rush to defend their embattled teammates.

Players aside, there was plenty of blame to go around. Federal sports minister Otto Jelinek and Hockey Canada chair Alan Eagleson blamed inept referees who were used to officiating lower-calibre amateur events. (Norwegian referee Hans Ronning and his linesmen were unable to stop the fighting, and even left the ice at one point.)

Critics blamed Canadian head coach Bert Templeton, who had a history of scuffles among junior teams in his charge. His Canadian junior team had been involved in a pre-game fight with the American squad just three days earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad