1984 Canada Cup Question

ChuckW

Keep the Hurricanes great!
May 15, 2009
Parts unknown
Why didn't Grant Fuhr play in the final of the 1984 Canada Cup? Even when Pete Peters was injured in the final game, Rejean Lemelin was the backup who went in. Why did Team Canada snub Grant Fuhr like this, especially when he played so well in earlier tournament games?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Peeters was the starter in the semi-final game and played well, so it makes sense that he was also the starter in the final games. I don't know why Lemelin was the backup over Fuhr, but it is worth remembering that while Fuhr was an ascendant goaltender he was also relatively inexperienced at the top level. His reputation wasn't really there yet despite a strong cup run just a few months earlier.

Reactions: ChuckW and Fixxer

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Similar to Billy Smith in 1981, he got hurt. While I admire the job Peeters did, and we have to remember in 1983 he has probably the best season of any goalie of the 1980s, I'd have liked Fuhr over him. But, Peeters did do some things that fared well against the Soviets at that time. He was a stand up type who challenged the shooter a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad