1972 Stanley Cup Highlights video link

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
There's a sweet hip check in game three by Brad Park on John Bucyk (I think). And Don Awrey is absolutely fearless lying down in front of shots!

Last edited:

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Wow, so many thoughts:

This was, I believe, my earliest memory of the NHL, as a youth, in single digits, growing up in the Tri-State area at the time.

Reminds one of just how much of an impact the modern butterfly style of goaltending has had on the game. Amazing.

If I'm not mistaken, the late Ace Bailey scored the winning goal in Game One in a high scoring (6-5?) affair at the Boston Garden.

Seeing the old penalty boxes at the Boston Garden (no glass) and the guy with the heavy glasses who operated one of the boxes for years was a mind-numbing trip to the distance past. Funny how trivial things like that stay with you.

Park and Orr fought in that series.

Was that Gene Carr getting beat up by a Bruin in front of the B's net?

For a time perspective:

This series was the last NHL Cup Final before the debut of the WHA that fall. Guys who played in that series, such as Gerry Cheevers, Derek Sanderson, and Pie MacKenzie all jumped to the new league....

Madison Square Garden was just five years old....

Nixon was running for re-election (and the Watergate break-in was about to transpire a couple of months hence)...

Also, a few months before the first Summit Series.

Was this a video produced by the league? The Bruins? Or homemade? It's cheesiness (music more apt for an NBA production) added to its attractiveness in a weird way. Unfortunately, the quality of the film was on a par with old still photos from the Civil War. :D

If one could only go back for a day....

Richie Daggers Crime

Rugged individualist
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Reminds one of just how much of an impact the modern butterfly style of goaltending has had on the game. Amazing.

Not to mention that it's amazing to see goalies that don't look like they have mattresses strapped to their legs, jerseys full of blankets and gloves and blockers the size of pillows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->