1971-72 Boston Bruins on NHL17 Customizer

stlblues5

Apr 27, 2016
St Louis
Hey,

My 1978-79 Canadiens team on NHL customizer went well, so I figured I'd give it a shot at the 71-72 championship Bruins. I'll put the roster below, and if you can help me out with player overalls, I can figure out the individual skill ratings. Thanks!

Phil Esposito
Bobby Orr
Johnny Bucyk
Fred Stanfield
John McKenzie
Derek Sanderson
Mike Walton
Ken Hodge
Wayne Cashman
Ed Westfall
Dallas Smith
Garnet "Ace" Bailey
Reggie Leach
Ted Green
Rick Smith
Don Marcotte
Carol Vadnais
Don Awrey
Ed Johnston
Ivan Boldirev
Gerry Cheevers
Terry O'Reilly
Doug Roberts
Matt Ravlich
Chris Hayes
Ron Jones
Nick Beverley
Gary Peters
Bob Stewart

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
I'm guessing that 100 is the max? Either way we must know a few benchmarks if as many of us as possible can be able to help you out. Tell us for example the overalls of centers Crosby, Getzlaf, Mikko Koivu, Nick Bonino and Joe Colborne.
Whatever the max is, Bobby Orr should probably have it, but it may depend a bit on what you tell us that Crosby have.

stlblues5

Apr 27, 2016
St Louis
I'm guessing that 100 is the max? Either way we must know a few benchmarks if as many of us as possible can be able to help you out. Tell us for example the overalls of centers Crosby, Getzlaf, Mikko Koivu, Nick Bonino and Joe Colborne.
Whatever the max is, Bobby Orr should probably have it, but it may depend a bit on what you tell us that Crosby have.

Crosby-96
Getzlaf-91
Koivu-89
Bonino-89
Not sure on Colborne
And the max is 99

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
Well, the Bonino example did not turn out so great becouse he turned out to have as high a number as Koivu. A bit puzzling but i guess that's last years playoffs talking. We need to know what lower tier players score at to be able to know how the games algorithm(or whatever) works. Can you get say Colborne and... Erik Haula?

Orr surely must be a 99, but i'm sure some here would say only 99 would be a 99 (But not in 99) ;) Esposito will be around Crosby i would say, if Crosby in the game has not regressed a little there just as in real life. In that case Esposito could be a 97, him and Orr was brutally dominant individually in an uneven league back in those days, which is why they could be on the same team. The Montreal team you are about to pitch them against did not have an Orr, but they had a couple rivaling Esposito and greater depth overall than Boston.
The time here in Sweden is 2am so i wont get into more players now, but i'm sure someone if they are willing could work many of the better players out using the benchmarks of Getzlaf's 91 and Koivu's and Bonino's 89.

Last edited:

double5son10

Jan 20, 2011
Denver
Phil Esposito-93
Bobby Orr-99
Johnny Bucyk-85
Fred Stanfield-80
John McKenzie-78
Derek Sanderson-79
Mike Walton-77
Ken Hodge-82
Wayne Cashman-79
Ed Westfall-77
Dallas Smith-80
Garnet "Ace" Bailey-71
Reggie Leach-traded mid-season for Vadnais
Ted Green-79
Rick Smith-traded mid-season for Vadnais
Don Marcotte-78
Carol Vadnais-84
Don Awrey-74
Ed Johnston-81
Ivan Boldirev-traded early that season
Gerry Cheevers-88
Terry O'Reilly-rookie non-factor
Doug Roberts-journeyman, spent most of the season in AHL, non-factor
Matt Ravlich-journeyman depth-player, split season in AHL, non-factor (maybe a 65?)
Chris Hayes-minors
Ron Jones-minors
Nick Beverley-minors
Gary Peters-minors
Bob Stewart-minors

Again, the coaches surveys, in this case the polls from '71 & '74, should help give you an idea of the stronger attributes of some of these players
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=680440

Something to keep in mind: outside of Orr Boston wasn't a great skating team, but they had a lot of players who were good in tight to the net: Espo, Bucyk, Hodge, Cashman, McKenzie, Sanderson, and Walton all had good hands in close and they were a big team (though not as Bad as they liked to believe). Bucyk is considered one of the better bodycheckers of his era, in spite of not rating in either poll. Sanderson and Westfall were best PK pair of the early 70s. First unit PP: Bucyk, Espo, McKenzie, Orr, Stanfield. This unit typically was out for close to the whole 2:00.
Hope this helps.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
If Crosby is a 96, Orr needs to be higher than 99 - basically Orr breaks the scale.

Esposito kind of breaks the scale too in that he was a lot better than any other player at very specific skills, but nothing to wrote home about on others.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad