Player Discussion #19 David Jones

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
How about this guy?

#19 leads the Flames with 7 goals in 20 games. He's halfway to last year's goal total already, and he's been described by Bob Hartley as one of the team's most consistent players.

What should we do with #19?

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
So when you browse HF on mobile view you can't see the authors of threads until you go back on the PC. I just knew who made this thread though, lol.

We should hold onto him until the trade deadline. If he continues this pace he should be around 20 goals by then, I think most teams would give a decent return for him.

That is, of course, unless the Flames have worked their way back into the playoff race. In that case, Jones is actually a guy I would want to keep. A, because he can score, but also B, because we still have pretty dreadful depth on RW and he's a pretty good option, and a known quantity.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
Needs to be shipped quickly, if his output has not gone unnoticed outside.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Trade him the moment another teams offers a 3rd round pick or better, regardless of the standings. There's a risk in waiting until the trade deadline given Jones' injury history.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Trade him if you can. It's too bad he's overpaid, if he was cheaper, he's a solid versatile contributor

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Trade him the moment another teams offers a 3rd round pick or better, regardless of the standings. There's a risk in waiting until the trade deadline given Jones' injury history.

I dunno, if this guy continues to light the lamp up, he will either help Calgary get back into a fight for a playoff spot, or will increase his value come deadline.

The problem with this deadline, there are a lot of good named out there.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Agree with Bob that he's been one of our more consistent players, always brings the energy and the body. Also seems to be one of the few guys who consistently crashes the net and fires the puck from just about anywhere. Still don't like him in the Top 6 but he can fill in alright if needed. Trade him if you can at the deadline preferably or as part of a bigger deal, but don't really feel they need to get something for him. I know the general sentiment around HF seems to be that players like Jones are just place holders for younger skilled prospects, but I think he should be valued by whatever he brings to the team. Right now, depressingly, he is our leading scorer and one of a few who are playing with confidence enough to go to the net.

He obviously has some deficiencies in his game, namely he has no idea what to do with the puck when he's carrying it and lacks creativity. Still though, this team is better with Jones in the line up than without him so hang on to him and decide internally if he's worth another contract.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The only niggle I have with Jones' game right now, and this could come down to Hartley's system, is his inability to protect his side of the ice on the forecheck, and in the neutral zone. He seems to chase from his right side into the left corner, leaving his entire side of the ice open for a reverse. I've noticed this occasionally leading to very easy and effective breakouts for the opposition, that you can see coming a mile away.

Again, though, I don't know how much of that is the system vs. his own intuition.

Nightrain

Nov 4, 2009
Calgary
Let me guess, this is his contract year.

Didn't he do this last time his contract was up.

The lesson being if we do resign him it better be for one year!

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Let me guess, this is his contract year.

Didn't he do this last time his contract was up.

The lesson being if we do resign him it better be for one year!

It's kinda tough to throw that implication at Jonesy, IMO. He had a great year in his contract year last time, yes, and earned that contract we've been dealing with. However, shortly after the contract he badly screwed up his knee, and it really hindered his skating ability. I think ever since he came back from that he's had to adjust his game and try to make it work with a reduced toolbox. That's got to be a real challenge for a hockey player. I think he's probably at his most effective right now, though. I would be in favour of trading him, because I don't think he's an irreplaceable player, but his value to other teams might exceed his value to us right now.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
So when you browse HF on mobile view you can't see the authors of threads until you go back on the PC. I just knew who made this thread though, lol.

We should hold onto him until the trade deadline. If he continues this pace he should be around 20 goals by then, I think most teams would give a decent return for him.

That is, of course, unless the Flames have worked their way back into the playoff race. In that case, Jones is actually a guy I would want to keep. A, because he can score, but also B, because we still have pretty dreadful depth on RW and he's a pretty good option, and a known quantity.

Now how could you guess, Deebz?

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I dunno, if this guy continues to light the lamp up, he will either help Calgary get back into a fight for a playoff spot, or will increase his value come deadline.

The problem with this deadline, there are a lot of good named out there.

To be honest, I don't see many, if any, teams that would be interested in a player like Jones until the trade deadline anyway. He's depth; a big bodied scoring winger that can add a little size and grit for a stretch run but no where near a game changer worth investing a lot of time in to see if chemistry is a factor.

Thing is, for an injury prone player like Jones, I'd rather take a guaranteed 3rd now than miss out on a chance at a second at the trade deadline because Jones is out with an injury.

I don't believe the Flames are in a position where they can afford to lose players to free agency with nothing to show for it. They're not cup contenders and if Jones is the difference between making the playoffs and missing, then this team still has a ton of issues.

There's also the matter of Granlund, Arnold and Agostino losing their waiver exemption status next season. No sense in re-signing Jones only to have to risk a younger, cheaper, hungrier prospect with a higher ceiling on waivers.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Trade him if you can. It's too bad he's overpaid, if he was cheaper, he's a solid versatile contributor
I'm not sure why his salary matters at this point in time. Everyone knew he was overpaid from the start, so it really has no impact on him him being a solid versatile contributor.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Right now he's contributing, he's a positive player so nothing changes. See how the season plays out and adjust your plan accordingly. Obviously he's a UFA so that plays a factor. Good on Jonesy though, nice to see him get his groove back.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
A 3rd wouldn't be something to get too worked up over to trade him right away for. Would rather risk waiting until deadline and hope to snag a 2nd and maybe get nothing than ship out one of our hardest working players so far for a measly 3rd.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
A 3rd wouldn't be something to get too worked up over to trade him right away for. Would rather risk waiting until deadline and hope to snag a 2nd and maybe get nothing than ship out one of our hardest working players so far for a measly 3rd.

Yep. If someone is willing to pony up something similar for what we traded Glencross for then yeah pull the trigger.

Otherwise he has been a very good player for us thus far, might as well ride out his hot streak.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I'm not sure why his salary matters at this point in time. Everyone knew he was overpaid from the start, so it really has no impact on him him being a solid versatile contributor.

Right now it doesn't matter yes, but when it's time to re-sign him, if he's not willing to take a pay cut than it will matter. Guess I could have clarified.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Right now it doesn't matter yes, but when it's time to re-sign him, if he's not willing to take a pay cut than it will matter. Guess I could have clarified.
I can't imagine he would be asking for the same, he's never lived up to the contract but I don't think he'd need to take much of a paycut TBH, you take away 750k-1 million and he's right where he should be (right where Stajan is).

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->