18th USHL team will be in KC

GareFan18

Jan 10, 2014
Kansas City
For several years, various suburbs on the Kansas side have tried to get an arena passed. There was an effort to build an arena in Kansas City, KS near the NASCAR track. There was an effort to build an arena in South Overland Park.

Now, there is an effort to put an arena in Olathe (a KS suburb South and West of KC). This one may stick. This land has a huge footprint and has been vacant since the mall on that property failed.
9 Eastern Conference teams.
8 Western Conference teams plus Kansas City could happen.

$305 million plan for Olathe Great Mall site envisions a mixed-use sports destination

GareFan18

Jan 10, 2014
Kansas City
Wherever he can get the STAR bonds.

BluHawk received a lot of push back from the NIMBYs in Southern Johnson County. They said, "We don't want an arena that will draw 6,000, 33 times a year", even though no USHL team draws 6K per night. Plus, I think the Price Brothers couldn't get the additional financing.
I believe WyCo was based on the extension of STAR bonds. KS wants some revenue from that tract someday, so the STAR bonds weren't extended. Hunt won't be going back to that site. Plus, the demographics for growing youth hockey are much better in Olathe/Southern Johnson County.

Now, for NEW development...on a piece of property that's generating $0 sales tax and $0 property tax revenue now? I think Olathe would go for that and the state would issue the STAR bonds. The proposal does seem a big grandiose. $305M? They scale that back to $200M with the arena as the highest priority and Lamar may be in business.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->