Prospect Info: 188th overall (2017): Vancouver selects D Matthew Brassard (Oshawa) | Unsigned, back into the draft

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He's clearly got a very good shot that he likes to use frequently and it's getting results for him at the junior level.

Forwards can make the NHL on the strength of their shot. Defenders cannot. If you don't have high-end mobility and hockey sense at this level, you can have the greatest shot in the world and it means nothing. It's fluff.

In the prospects tourneys last summer, he looked completely lost. Poor skater and out of position a ton. Unless he's made major strides in those aspects, it's hard to have too much confidence.

That said, it's good we have another year to evaluate him, and he's a player I'm very interested to see next summer to see how he stacks up and has progressed.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
From Sportsnet this A.M.

Canadian NHL Prospect of the Week: Matt Brassard, D, Oshawa Generals, OHL

"Brassard, the rightly defenseman whom the Canucks scooped up late in the 2017 draft, 188th overall, has had multi-point games in three of the Generals last four outings to help Oshawa keep a tenuous grip on a place in the top half of the OHL's Eastern Conference table. At six foot three and 198 pounds, Brassard became a player of interest in the second half of last season, particularly after a crunching open-ice hit on Sudbury's Ryan Valentini during the playoffs that went semi-viral. As a 19 year old this season, Brassard has expanded the offensive component of his game, which every big-bodied blueliner must do these days. With 37 points (13g-24a) over 51 games, Brassard has already topped his tally from his previous two OHL seasons."

Reactions: lindgren

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
From Sportsnet this A.M.

Canadian NHL Prospect of the Week: Matt Brassard, D, Oshawa Generals, OHL

"Brassard, the rightly defenseman whom the Canucks scooped up late in the 2017 draft, 188th overall, has had multi-point games in three of the Generals last four outings to help Oshawa keep a tenuous grip on a place in the top half of the OHL's Eastern Conference table. At six foot three and 198 pounds, Brassard became a player of interest in the second half of last season, particularly after a crunching open-ice hit on Sudbury's Ryan Valentini during the playoffs that went semi-viral. As a 19 year old this season, Brassard has expanded the offensive component of his game, which every big-bodied blueliner must do these days. With 37 points (13g-24a) over 51 games, Brassard has already topped his tally from his previous two OHL seasons."
What thats crazy!! How does a 7th rounder win that? I didnt know he was THAT good

:yo:

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
As an Oshawa Generals fan, Brassard is definitely the player he's been the last couple months and not the one he was on paper the at the beginning of the season. He was dealing with an injury he got in Canucks camp and never missed any time with it, but it was clear it was bothering him. I think he's a top 10 2-way D-men in the OHL. Jumps into the play with ease and has a big shot, although his best offensive skill is probably his ability to walk the line and get himself open to get shots through the screens and on net. In the D-zone he's very gritty and loves to battle and go at it with the opposing F's. He's also known as one of the best trash talkers in the OHL, for what it's worth.

Here's a video of him undressing Oilers top goalie prospect Dylan Wells (who plays for Oshawa's biggest rival) and then just smiling at their bench before going to celebrating the GWG in the shootout

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
As an Oshawa Generals fan, Brassard is definitely the player he's been the last couple months and not the one he was on paper the at the beginning of the season. He was dealing with an injury he got in Canucks camp and never missed any time with it, but it was clear it was bothering him. I think he's a top 10 2-way D-men in the OHL. Jumps into the play with ease and has a big shot, although his best offensive skill is probably his ability to walk the line and get himself open to get shots through the screens and on net. In the D-zone he's very gritty and loves to battle and go at it with the opposing F's. He's also known as one of the best trash talkers in the OHL, for what it's worth.

Here's a video of him undressing Oilers top goalie prospect Dylan Wells (who plays for Oshawa's biggest rival) and then just smiling at their bench before going to celebrating the GWG in the shootout

Thanks for the great info, and for taking the time to come here to post.

Reactions: PassLikeA10YrOldBoy

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
about 10-15% of 7th rounders reach the NHL. So statistically every 6-10 years we should get one. Oddly enough 5th, 6th and 7th rounders all have about the same chance.

This isn't accurate depending on your definition of "reach the NHL".

It's not 10-15%. More like, 8-9%.

And it isn't odd 5th, 6th, 7th rounders because that's also not true. It's about 15% 5th rounders play over 100 games in the NHL, while about 8 in the 7th.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
D-men come in all shapes and sizes, and from all sources.....Ashton Saunter just signed a two-year extension with the Canucks (who saw that coming?); Comets Jalen Chatfield and Evan McEneny were never drafted.....Troy Stecher and Chris Tanev were never drafted, and guys like Bieksa, Hutton and Sopel drafted late....even the Canucks all-time leading d-scorer Alex Edler was a third rounder.....Brassard could top out in the AHL, but who really knows until he shows up at training camp and gets a few pro seasons under his belt?

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005

interesting game. looked quite different from one game ive watched early in the season

In my very inexpert opinion, he looks good at getting his shot through and on net, no so good at defending one-on-one. Not many examples of zone exits. I'd be interested in the opinion of those with more expertise.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Based on that highlight package, have to agree with other posters....seems at home on the pp and getting his shot through, but not showing a ton of closing speed or mobility in his own zone.....but that's what the AHL is for....most interesting thing is whether the Canucks deem him worthy of a contract, but I guess he can still return to junior next year if they don't?

M2Beezy

May 25, 2014
I learned from the Tater Tot experience to not be TOO excited about these 7th round guys who look for periods. If he progresses next year then I will be MORE interested...

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
When I was a kid I used to get to see all these guys who the Canucks picked a lot from Bernier to Reid to Anthony because I had season tickets in Halifax for like 10 years +.

Anthony seemed like an ok gamble on his second draft year- maybe the most hf approved 7th round pick ever. He was a lanky guy, smooth skater and had a nice bend in his stick when he shot at the net. But he just wasn't an NHL player just as much as a lot of other guys who were supposedly so terrible.

A poor man's Louis LeBlanc who was big time overrated proportionally.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Every Canucks 7th round pick for the entire history of Vancouver hf boards: waaah waaah waaah something something.

I don’t think folks (at least ones who post real content) really griped about McKenzie, Olsen, Tommernes, Liberati, Anthony, or Bliznak, did they? Most people get mad when they make stupid picks like Stewart.

Also, I don’t think Anthony was picked in his second year of eligibility. It was his first, unless I’m mistaken.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
voted 2nd best offensive dman in the West, only losing out to Clague. This is also after a slow start too at 6 points in his first 20 games. Not bad for a 7th rounder right handed shot too.

M2Beezy

May 25, 2014
voted 2nd best offensive dman in the West, only losing out to Clague. This is also after a slow start too at 6 points in his first 20 games. Not bad for a 7th rounder right handed shot too.
Trying to keep it cool about him but dang hes looking like a nother hidden gem

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

Jordan Subban was the best offensive rookie D-man in the AHL and an All-Star the following season. Where did that get him? If you can't play a decent defensive game you should have become a forward because there is no place for you in the NHL. I don't see anyone raving about his defensive game and it gets a lot tougher at the next level (AHL).

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
Jordan Subban was the best offensive rookie D-man in the AHL and an All-Star the following season. Where did that get him? If you can't play a decent defensive game you should have become a forward because there is no place for you in the NHL. I don't see anyone raving about his defensive game and it gets a lot tougher at the next level (AHL).
Subban had a bad defensive same and was super small, so two big things going against him. Brassard is at least 6'2" with a good reach, and almost 200 pounds

I don't think he'll be an NHL player, but he has less glaring weaknesses as Subban, but definitely see where you are coming from

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

That's true. But they play different games and Subban was mostly held back by his lack of size. Subban kept falling down and simply couldn't handle bigger and stronger forwards. Personally, I think the whole idea of converting Subban to forward is stupid. How many small offensive Dmen turn into small offensive forward in the NHL?

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Subban had a bad defensive same and was super small, so two big things going against him. Brassard is at least 6'2" with a good reach, and almost 200 pounds

I don't think he'll be an NHL player, but he has less glaring weaknesses as Subban, but definitely see where you are coming from

I'll agree with you if he is the best offensive rookie in the AHL followed by an All-Star selection his second season.

We can draw another comparison:

Matt Brassard is a 7th round pick and has compiled 87 Pts in 157 GP for .57 PPG with 2 OHL teams and was never a League All-Star (though that could change this year, yes?). He has actually had just one good offensive season and that's this one. His first 2 years were far from great. Chances are very good he goes back to Jrs. for another year to prove this year was not an anomaly before throwing him to the wolves in the AHL.

Guillaume Brisebois is a 3rd round pick and entered the AHL at age 20. In Jrs. he was a 3-time QMJHL All-Star and put up 120 Pts in 236 GP or .51 PPG. Though Benning thinks he's having a great season down in Utica, he has 3 G/15Pts in 61 GP and has more than his hands full with AHL forwards particularly on the forecheck where they have caused him to cough up the puck repeatedly in panic moves to avoid the pressure.

Contrast this with the smaller Subban's numbers of 11G/36 pts followed by 16G/36 Pts in the AHL. His skating was better than Brisebois's and his puck control and shot accuracy were much better than Brisebois.That's not to say that Briesbois's skating is poor because it isn't. Just that Subban's blade work was better.

I have not seen Brassard skate but the resumes I've read all say "Decent overall mobility". That's not usually the way real good skaters are described. They say he has a hard point shot and isn't afraid to get involved in the tough areas, but he is still raw in regards to solid D-play particularly defensive positioning, assume a lot of that is referring to position away from the puck. Nearly every rookie in the AHL suffers that problem. It's been a major obstacle that both Brisebois and Chatfield have not yet navigated.

Like I said, I reserve my judgement on the kid until he skates for the Comets and that may take another season before I can even begin to assess this prospect. I can say this without reservation that he will have his hands full for sure.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
By the time you're drafting players in the seventh round it's mostly about 'wishing, hoping and praying'.....if nothing else, Brassard has stepped up in his draft plus one year and seems to have improved significantly.....that's about all you can hope for with a with equivalent of a power-ball lottery ticket.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad