Post-Game Talk: #18| FLYERS 0 at Wild 3 | Tue. Nov. 14, 8:00 pm ET

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
And like the Flyers, it took them 5 years to get all this talent together, and it's going to take another couple years to develop it.
And maybe no one noticed the Astros losing 100+ games for three years, then needing 3 more years to turn it around.

When you start from ground zero, it takes a while to erect a building.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I think the fourth line would have more points by now if the middle six actually scored. Probably would open up the ice for them a bit late game and you might seem them get a few 2 on 1 rushes.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Building from ground zero would have been trading Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds, etc. from the get go. Hextall didn’t do that because he was adamant against tanking & thought they could compete while rebuilding.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
Something for all the Flyers on your Christmas list.

images

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
What a sack of crap this team is. Its not even worth watching. I knew 1 minute into the game how this was going to go.

Im not a doctor but Simmonds just looks completely off.

The 4th line was the most entertaining yet again.

I enjoy watching Hagg.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
However I am just saying that there comes a time when you can’t keep blaming coaches for a team’s failure. I don’t know if we’ve hit that point yet but we are now on coach #3 with this core and have 1 playoff series win. At some point we have to take a good long hard look at the players and realize if it’s the right mix and if they’re good enough. That time is coming.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Terrible game, terrible coaching, zero drive.

Break up the top line now. Put Lehtera and Weise on Waivers. Call up Lindblom and Martel.
Send a message. Homer would have been yelling at them in the locker room and if Hextall has any balls he better start getting vocal now.

Last edited:

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
We all get on Weise and Lehtera, but Konecny, Weal, and Simmonds all haven’t scored in weeks

Konecny’s last goal: 10/26
Simmonds: 10/21
Weal: 10/30

We all love them but they deserve their fair share of criticism as well. No excuses. They have to step up.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
However I am just saying that there comes a time when you can’t keep blaming coaches for a team’s failure. I don’t know if we’ve hit that point yet but we are now on coach #3 with this core and have 1 playoff series win. At some point we have to take a good long hard look at the players and realize if it’s the right mix and if they’re good enough. That time is coming.

What core though? It's only 4 players that have been here: Giroux, Couturier, Voracek, Simmonds.

There does come a time when players need to be held accountable, but 3/4 of those were top 10 in points before this game and the second best line in hockey. Team would actually be in contention for a lottery pick without any of the first 3, and who in their right mind wants to get rid of them, even ignoring lost value and whatnot? Those first 3 are still our core forwards up front long-term and will be vital to any Cup contending. That group is one of the only things screwed on properly with this team. Even with Simmonds, for all his flaws and looming trade situation, I seem to recall a healthy amount of people referring to him last year as our best forward or "true" leader or a player any contending team would want (validity of a couple of those statements not withstanding). He's the only part of the nucleus worth looking long and hard at.

The problem is otherwise terrible roster optimization and talent evaluation, from the GM down to the coach.

Last edited:

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
There are only 4 players left from the Lavi era [Giroux, Coots, Simmonds, and Jake, Matt Read doesn't count]. How much more turnover do you want? It's no coincidence that the last time a team won a playoff series and looked decent was when they had a head coach with an actual resume, and not one getting his first NHL gig and proceeding to coach like hot garbage.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Is two of Martel, Lindlbom or Vecchione for Lehtera and Weise really too much to ask for? Is there actually any downside whatsoever to doing that? I know Kerry Huffman was rushed to the NHL and Hextall is obsessed with it, but you have two non-NHL caliber players and NHL caliber prospects, why not try a few games?

Reactions: Rebels57 and dats81

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Is two of Martel, Lindlbom or Vecchione for Lehtera and Weise really too much to ask for? Is there actually any downside whatsoever to doing that? I know Kerry Huffman was rushed to the NHL and Hextall is obsessed with it, but you have two non-NHL caliber players and NHL caliber prospects, why not try a few games?

They do not contain sufficient quantities of Hakstol Safe® to warrant a roster spot.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Hextall took over 3 years ago. This is year 4 of the 5 year rebuild.

I view Hakstol as I view the **** players like Lehtera....placeholder for the next guy.

I do look forward to Read playing next game as our big "change".

I dont see how this team is any better 2 years from now. All the impact young players are here (Ghost, Provy, and Patrick)...any new guys promoted will just be depth and G/V will be 2 years older. Hakstol will still be here.

Unless Hexy adds an impact player this team is what it is.

Reactions: hatcher

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
It was just Barkhann. He didn’t outright say it but he heavily implied it multiple times throughout the broadcast. I think he compared it to the end of Andy Reid’s tenure at one point. :laugh:

Thats telling that our own commentators are saying bings like that. They never really do. I know Barkhann was livid after the preds loss. There is now way Hak is like Reid though. Ried went to multiple conf championships and a Super Bowl. The way Hak doesn’t adjust has zero shot of winning a playoff round let alone 3-4.

Fire him already! He’s a joke! Tamper and offer Lavi Babs money and get him back here. More jam!

Reactions: kelmitchell

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia

Great point

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad