'17 Draft Class at the Olympics

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
How many and who?

I personally don't think any of them should be in the NHL next season, so I'm hoping this opportunity gives their clubs incentive to keep them in jrs/minors.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Doubt many make it. It'll be guys like Lappierre, who are over seas pro's. Spengler cup guys.

But I am interested to see if NHL signed prospects are allowed to go or not because they are technically NHL property.

I don't expect NCAA players to be able to go.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
How many and who?

I personally don't think any of them should be in the NHL next season, so I'm hoping this opportunity gives their clubs incentive to keep them in jrs/minors.

If you mean how many 2017 draft eligible's will play winter Olympic games next year i can say none of them not even Patrick or Hischier
Finland will take best KHLers and some SHL / NLA players in the Olympic team so there's no much room for FEL players.

So don't expect to see guys like Heiskanen, Vaakanainen and Salo in Finland's Olympic team.
It's another story if NCAA players are able to participate but i doubt that.

Last edited:

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Doubt many make it. It'll be guys like Lappierre, who are over seas pro's. Spengler cup guys.

But I am interested to see if NHL signed prospects are allowed to go or not because they are technically NHL property.

I don't expect NCAA players to be able to go.

I do.

GetThePuckOuttaHere*

Feb 23, 2017
How many and who?

I can definitely see Canada selecting Patrick, regardless of how well he is playing, just to add some reason for us to watch the Olympic hockey.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I can definitely see Canada selecting Patrick, regardless of how well he is playing, just to add some reason for us to watch the Olympic hockey.

I agree. If his NHL club doesn't keep him on roster then he gets to compete at the WJC, which he missed this year, and then Olympics. Would be a great experience for him.

Luddowich

May 1, 2013
Sweden
If hypothetically no one is in the NHL next year, i can only see Hischier and possibly Patrick. That's about it.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Maybe, but the chance is still very slim, Adam Ruzicka for Slovakia.

If he wants to make it, he should destroy the WJC next season. Just like Martin Reway did.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I'd assume USA and Canada would rely heavily on CHL and NCAA, so I'd think a lot of the top part of this draft class would get a look.

Where else are they going to get their skill players from?

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I'd assume USA and Canada would rely heavily on CHL and NCAA, so I'd think a lot of the top part of this draft class would get a look.

Where else are they going to get their skill players from?

They will look at players in the AHL/KHL/other euro leagues. I really doubt they'll be picking CHL players.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
They will look at players in the AHL/KHL/other euro leagues. I really doubt they'll be picking CHL players.

Will the AHL allow it? I thought they went with the NHL?

How many high-skill NA guys are playing overseas? Seems most of the guys that go are Joey Hishons that couldn't hack it here so they went to Europe. Generally, I'd take my chances with a Vilardi over a guy like that.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

How many high-skill NA guys are playing overseas? Seems most of the guys that go are Joey Hishons that couldn't hack it here so they went to Europe. Generally, I'd take my chances with a Vilardi over a guy like that.

I still think guys like Arcobello are better, than CHL kids.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto

The problem is that all the other teams will be sending adult-sized males. I think if you tried to run a U20 team against that they'd get crushed.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The problem is that all the other teams will be sending adult-sized males. I think if you tried to run a U20 team against that they'd get crushed.

Not necessarily a U20 team, but I think they'll need U20 skill guys.

And I think if we've got to play against Kovy and Ovechkin without the NHL players on our side, we're probably going to get crushed regardless.

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
If he has a strong season (close to PPG), Martin Necas might have a chance

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden

The best U20 (thats available) can well be fit/good enough for it I think! But not a whole U20. It will be a pussle for the national teams to ice a good team, but fully possible.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I really doubt very many CHL guys will be going. The Olympics are just weeks before the start of CHL playoffs and CHL teams already give up their best players for almost a month during the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad