Prospect Info: #162 LW Jesper Bratt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Wasn't there a gif up of a similar shift vs Washington? Just a super aggressive PK forecheck.

He did it against Montreal as well. I suspect it's the kind of thing that will get harder to do once teams are studying video, but it's impressive both that he's doing this and the coaching staff must be encouraging it.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
He did it against Montreal as well. I suspect it's the kind of thing that will get harder to do once teams are studying video, but it's impressive both that he's doing this and the coaching staff must be encouraging it.

For sure, and he's going all in, while some of these vet's are just playing a preseason game. But his quickness and tenacity are no doubters. And his puck control/balance has been super impressive. Then he goes and scores a couple goals and makes some slick passes to boot. It was great to watch.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Also, it seems like teams are much more tentative with their stick work (and penalties are called a lot stricter earlier in the season).

It definitely benefits a guy like Bratt that might struggle a bit when the games get tighter and guys are hacking away at each other.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Would love to see the list of sixth rounders who have produced in the NHL, but I'm going to wait because I don't want to put the horse before the cart.

There's a source for this with "best by round", I tried to find it and couldnt. It's pretty rare a 6th round pick even makes the NHL, but in terms of the best ever, Pavel Datsyuk, Brett Hull, and Daniel Alfredsson all come to mind.

That said, for a 6th round pick to make and stick in the NHL in his draft year? I've got nothing. Cant think of a single instance of this. Anyone else? If he remains with the club and this isnt a "give him a taste and make him hungry" thing, it's an impressive accomplishment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ronnie Bass

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
There's a source for this with "best by round", I tried to find it and couldnt. It's pretty rare a 6th round pick even makes the NHL, but in terms of the best ever, Pavel Datsyuk, Brett Hull, and Daniel Alfredsson all come to mind.

That said, for a 6th round pick to make the NHL in his draft year? I've got nothing. Cant think of a single instance of this. Anyone else?

Bratt was drafted last year (2016), not this year (2017)

still impressive regardless.

I think Triumph posted something that it hasn't been done in 20 years or something? Don't quote me on that

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
Connor Carrick was close as a 5th rd pick who made the Caps roster as a 19 year old in his draft+1 year (2013)

Before this, it was Roman Vopat as a 7th rounder in 1995 with STL and Michal Grosek 6th round, made WPG in 1994.

None of those three lasted the season with their squads. Carrick had the most GP with 34. Vopat and Grosek were at 25 and 24, respectively.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
I'm not expecting Bratt to play more than 20 games at the NHL level...any more would be a lovely surprise. I just can't help but think about how Speers impressed at last year's camp and made the team, but didn't impress this year. Bratt plays the game faster and more differently, but it's good to keep in mind to make sure the hype doesn't get out of control.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
I'm not expecting Bratt to play more than 20 games at the NHL level...any more would be a lovely surprise. I just can't help but think about how Speers impressed at last year's camp and made the team, but didn't impress this year. Bratt plays the game faster and more differently, but it's good to keep in mind to make sure the hype doesn't get out of control.
Hop on the hype train! Just imagine if this kid could be a Johnny Gaudreau type steal in the draft (not saying he plays a similar game). It would do wonders for this franchise to add a gem like that before guys like McLeod, Boqvist, Anderson and Bastian even step foot into the NHL. It’s nice to be able to dream...but yeah I’m trying to temper expectations while praying for this kid to be the real deal.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Hop on the hype train! Just imagine if this kid could be a Johnny Gaudreau type steal in the draft (not saying he plays a similar game). It would do wonders for this franchise to add a gem like that before guys like McLeod, Boqvist, Anderson and Bastian even step foot into the NHL. It’s nice to be able to dream...but yeah I’m trying to temper expectations while praying for this kid to be the real deal.

I feel you brother. I watched Bratt play last season. His speed and skill are evident. However, some consistency would be helpful for him. His shot is great when he's able to get it off, and his speed allows him to make space as well as finding teammates (although his speed was more prevalent in the larger European ice, it'll really help in North America when there's more space - like the penalty kill and 4-on-4.

Although his speed is deadly, I would like to see him add a bit more muscle to help in one-on-one battles too....but yes, I'm really hoping that he's the real deal. That would be unbelievably helpful for the rebuild to have such a late-stage gem

Reactions: EdisonDevil

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
How Speers played in preseason and how Bratt played aren't even comparable. Bratt was up against much tougher competition for a roster spot as well.

Reactions: HBK27

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Speers didn't really impress at camp last year though. He was fine for a 19 year old and we needed a RW so they said "f*** it lets see".

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I think most of us were surprised when they kept Speers on the big club to start last season. This year, we were all pretty much expecting Bratt to stay up. Big difference.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I think most of us were surprised when they kept Speers on the big club to start last season. This year, we were all pretty much expecting Bratt to stay up. Big difference.

Very good point, we all saw how good Bratt was this preseason and absolutely expected him to make the team during final cuts. Now it just remains to be seen what he does with the opportunity.

I'll take it one game at a time, but for now I'm going to enjoy my ride on the hype train as there hasn't been a whole lot to get excited with about this team over the past 5 years.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
He, Nico, McLeod and Boqvist will be a treat to watch in a few seasons.
Not very high on Mcleod at all. Hope he develops into something but I was very disappointed with his overall level of play but more importantly his skill level seemed lacking to me. His game needs so much more refinement.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Not very high on Mcleod at all. Hope he develops into something but I was very disappointed with his overall level of play but more importantly his skill level seemed lacking to me. His game needs so much more refinement.
I think he can become a very solid 3C which would be fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad