Prospect Info: #162 LW Jesper Bratt

Status
Not open for further replies.

HersheyBob27

Apr 5, 2014
Canada
I think the experience he gets from the 9 games trumps any negatives form getting to London late.

I think they should get NHL games when they are truly ready not as a bonus for good camp. Case in pong Speers. I think he has come back this year expecting a full time gig. He wasn't an NHLer last year and he seems like the same player or worse year +1

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I think they should get NHL games when they are truly ready not as a bonus for good camp. Case in pong Speers. I think he has come back this year expecting a full time gig. He wasn't an NHLer last year and he seems like the same player or worse year +1

Speers also had an injury his first period he went back to juniors. He also was not playing at the level Bratt is. He was impressive no doubt but Bratt is doing everything right now.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
That is a real silly reason to not reward Bratt with NHL games.

Good response. Well thought out.

Youre not rushing a player if he is clearly showing he is ready. If he gets into 4 or 5 reg games and starts to look out of place then clearly he isnt. Rushing someone means they show signs of not being ready and u put them in the NHL anyway.

I'm not speaking HF here. I'm not talking about busts and players being 'rushed' and 'upside' and all that nonsense. I'm saying that for the Devils, the position they're in as a franchise, they don't need to ice an optimal roster and try to grind out every win from the organization possible. The plan for Bratt was to go to London - if he keeps this up the next 2 games, they should keep him here, but if not? It's not an issue if he goes down to junior and really learns NA hockey.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

I'm not speaking HF here. I'm not talking about busts and players being 'rushed' and 'upside' and all that nonsense. I'm saying that for the Devils, the position they're in as a franchise, they don't need to ice an optimal roster and try to grind out every win from the organization possible. The plan for Bratt was to go to London - if he keeps this up the next 2 games, they should keep him here, but if not? It's not an issue if he goes down to junior and really learns NA hockey.

Because it is silly. If you earn a spot, you earn a spot. You don't take that away from him because he will show up to London late.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County

I can agree with this statement, as a matter of fact I believe I said something similar. Where I think we are different is just giving him a few games to reward him vs keeping him if he continues to play well. See if the kid keeps playing how he has and then keeps it up into his NHL games then you keep him. You dont send him back to juniors just for the sake of sending him back. If he gets into NHL games and is getting out played starts looking like he doesnt belong then of course it makes sense to send him back.

HersheyBob27

Apr 5, 2014
Canada
Because it is silly. If you earn a spot, you earn a spot. You don't take that away from him because he will show up to London late.

No no no no. You need to do what is best for each individual player full scale long term. A four game (or whatever he plays) is somewhat random in nature

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Finally got to watch him play, but man, even with Nico(who unfortuneately I have not see play yet) and Zacha and McLeod, I think Bratt is the story of this preseason. He jumps off the screen.

I'd like to see him down in juniors at some point, but I'd have him starting the season in NJ.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Finally got to watch him play, but man, even with Nico(who unfortuneately I have not see play yet) and Zacha and McLeod, I think Bratt is the story of this preseason. He jumps off the screen.

I'd like to see him down in juniors at some point, but I'd have him starting the season in NJ.

If he was a first or second round pick he might not be the story he is today, but to grab this kid in the sixth round and watch this? We stepped in some serious dog doo.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
If he was a first or second round pick he might not be the story he is today, but to grab this kid in the sixth round and watch this? We stepped in some serious dog doo.

I disagree, he's the best guy out there. If McLeod was playing like this I'd be super stoked as well.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

I can't wrap my head around how a 6tg rounder from a year ago looks this good. Preseason or not, those are still NHL vets he is playing against.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I can't wrap my head around how a 6tg rounder from a year ago looks this good. Preseason or not, those are still NHL vets he is playing against.

a 6th rounder who had very modest #'s in Sweden last year no less.

But as I've noted his int'l 3's are very good, and he is very young for his draft year.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
I disagree, he's the best guy out there. If McLeod was playing like this I'd be super stoked as well.

You're kinda missing my point- we be expecting this kind of play from a first rounder, no way in hell a sixth and that what adds to the excitement.

When you get paid from work your satisfied because you expected it, but if you win $500 on a scratch off, it's a different emotion because you really weren't expecting that good fortune, it's exciting and uplifting.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey

Would love to see the list of sixth rounders who have produced in the NHL, but I'm going to wait because I don't want to put the horse before the cart.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
You're kinda missing my point- we be expecting this kind of play from a first rounder, no way in hell a sixth and that what adds to the excitement.

When you get paid from work your satisfied because you expected it, but if you win $500 on a scratch off, it's a different emotion because you really weren't expecting that good fortune, it's exciting and uplifting.

Aight, I can see that.

But if someone told me #63 was Nico, I'd like :yo:.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

This is what everyone is saying though. People are bringing up 9 games as the cutoff to make a final decision, not as a 9 game reward. I really think a couple of you are misunderstanding what we're saying here.

Bratt so far has earned a spot on this NHL roster based on his performance. He has looked NHL ready. When a player comes into camp and plays this well you put him on the roster because he has earned it, otherwise it sends a terrible message to everyone in the organization, that the team doesn't reward good performance. You have up to 9 NHL games to evaluate him in the real season to determine whether he truly is capable of playing here, or if this was just a flash in the pan. There is zero downside to him playing in actual NHL games, and it will be a good experience for him. If he doesn't work out, you send him to junior as you originally planned anyways. If he does work out, we just added an unexpected depth player to this roster who is 19 and will only get better.

BomaLightDevils

Jan 15, 2011
Copenhagen
we've had such bad luck w our draft picks, that it was bound to pan out eventually. i mean, hopefully this is an example of luck turning our way

Luck?!? How is that luck, we hired a complete new scouting staff that knows how you find talent. I will not call that luck and isn't luck something that you earns by doing the right stuff. When you on top of that accumulate dobbelt the amount of draft picks then things suddenly looks pretty good:)

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Couldn't believe this when I saw it last night. Such an awesome sight. :yo:

As VoidCreature pointed out in the main board thread as well, those aren't AHL scrubs that he's playing keep away with, it's pretty good NHLers.

Look at the players he's competing against in that sequence. That's not some AHL fodder out there, that's Kevin Shattenkirk, Ryan McDonagh, Mika Zibanejad, Mats Zucarello and Chris Kreider. He's one on five and they can't get the puck from him. Preseason or not, that's amazing.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
This is what everyone is saying though. People are bringing up 9 games as the cutoff to make a final decision, not as a 9 game reward. I really think a couple of you are misunderstanding what we're saying here.

Bratt so far has earned a spot on this NHL roster based on his performance. He has looked NHL ready. When a player comes into camp and plays this well you put him on the roster because he has earned it, otherwise it sends a terrible message to everyone in the organization, that the team doesn't reward good performance. You have up to 9 NHL games to evaluate him in the real season to determine whether he truly is capable of playing here, or if this was just a flash in the pan. There is zero downside to him playing in actual NHL games, and it will be a good experience for him. If he doesn't work out, you send him to junior as you originally planned anyways. If he does work out, we just added an unexpected depth player to this roster who is 19 and will only get better.

100% agree. He deserves the look as a reward for his efforts in preseason. It doesn't even have to be 9 games or the opener. Just being here and seeing some action, like Speers did, has already been earned in my opinion.

It is a very positive message to everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->